Okay, so I am a new Blackberry owner...I was disappointed when I started texting & saw that I only had a few symbol available. I'm not sure if I just don't know where to get them or what?? When I hit the "sym" key, I get a window that has a few basic symbols, but no smileys or anything & it says "Page 1/1" at the top so I was hoping there was a way to expand this...if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!!!

Update: I don't see any smiley face at the bottom right??? Also, I should clarify that I am just looking for plain-old text smileys & symbols, not any of the graphics ones...
    Last edited by val825; 01-12-10 at 03:11 PM.
    01-12-10 02:23 PM
    When you open up your SMS message, there is a smiley face at the bottom right of your screen. Scroll over and select that. That is where your smiley faces are. Hope this helps!
    01-12-10 02:31 PM
    I also checked into this infamous smiley face on the bottom right of the SMS screen and I dont see anything
    01-12-10 02:45 PM
    There aren't any, and no real capacity to add them, unless you want to add smileys via AutoText. But they will be text smileys, not graphic.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-10 03:07 PM
    Ranger is talking about BB messenger not sms....you can add smileys if you are using BB messenger

01-12-10 04:39 PM
    Even if text-smileys were available in the SYM menu, I doubt it would be any faster or easier than typing them out.

Also keep in mind that CDMA carriers don't allow certain special characters and symbols in SMS messages.
    01-12-10 05:15 PM
    If you get os 5.0 or a 5.0 hybrid you will also get the smiley face in the bottom right for sms. But my guess is you have os 4.5 so you won't have that.
    If you want to make smiley faces hit alt and you corresponding button
    Exaple :
    alt + h = :
    Alt + y = )
    If you plan on doing 10 different faces one after another hit alt + left shift (the key right under alt) and that will turn on alt/num lock which makes every button turn into the symbol/number it has on the key instead of the letter. To turn it off just hit alt again.
    Last helpful hint is alt + right shift key (beside sym button) turns caps lock on, hit alt again to turn it off
    Hope this helps

01-12-10 05:51 PM
    You can also do ur own thru Autotext.

For example: <3 (heart) = h (the letter h only)

Whenever I want to type or use a heart symbol in my texts or blackberry messenger I type in the letter h and then space and the heart symbol automatically appears. You should try it. You just have to have a good memory to memorize which letter is for what smiley/symbol. It will make it a lot faster to text. Auto texts is also what automatically corrects spelling and abbreviations. You can find it by pressing the applications button when in thhe Black berry messenger. Good Luck!

Last edited by bella0913; 01-12-10 at 06:57 PM.
    01-12-10 06:47 PM
    your OS does not support graphic smileys. You have to press "alt" and look for the symbols you want to use to create your smileys. : )
    01-12-10 11:13 PM
    Ranger is talking about BB messenger not sms....you can add smileys if you are using BB messenger

BB Messenger and SMS Texting. Must be a Verizon Wireless thang. I can add smiley's on both!
    01-13-10 01:26 PM
    5.0 or a 3rd party app empower threaded sms has them and threaded text messages... about $6.00..
    01-13-10 03:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD