The symbol screen (SYM key) is very slow to appears on my 8330, and navigating throught symbols after the press is sluggish to say the least.

Is there a known workaound to get symbols faster?
    07-18-08 09:30 AM
    I've noticed this myself. Are you running a custom theme? I think that may be slowing it down. I'm running one and that's when i noticed the slow down. Try switching back to an OEM theme and see if that works. Don't know of any work around tho. Maybe some one else will come along with more information.
    07-18-08 09:43 AM
    Yep running a custom theme (9000 Bold official theme).

Barebone Curve : slow to appears (+2 sec), a bit sluggish. More than a Pearl or another BBerry model.
    Curve + custom theme : real slow to appears (+3 sec) and really sluggish

Still it seems a Blackberry issue more than a theming/third party issue to me.
    Last edited by cyberderf; 07-18-08 at 12:06 PM.
    07-18-08 11:39 AM
    Mine SYM button has been slow since I got my phone out of the box. I agree it seems to be more than just a theme causing the slow performance.
    07-18-08 12:23 PM
    My symbol key has a crazy long delay also. The only work around I have found is to avoid typing things with symbols
    07-18-08 03:07 PM
    There is a faster way to use symbols rather than clicking SYM ONCE and using the track ball to make a pick, i use to do this and it would be so bloody slow!

Faster way = Press SYM key, use keys on the BB keyboard assigned to the symbol you want, also if you are on yahoo etc there are 3-4 Symbol pages (smilies) so just click SYM again & again till you see the one you want and use keyboard to make your pick.
    07-18-08 04:06 PM
    Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are trying to say but the only time I use the sym key is to type a symbol that is NOT already assigned to a key. ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by GrandMasterB; 07-18-08 at 05:39 PM.
    07-18-08 04:13 PM
    YES! Same thing happening here. I thought it was my phone only. I've noticed it ever since I upgraded to 4.5 though. Is there a correlation?

09-15-08 09:44 PM
    Argh.. You guys are right, I just switched over to the VZW theme and tried the "sym" key and it was back to it's speedy self. I'm so sad, I love my themes!! Is there a fix for this?

09-15-08 09:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD