I am switching phones, my current curve is working but the trackball is beyond repair which means that I cant move into the fields and save my information to the SIM card, I got another phone(G1) but when I switched the SIM card to the new phone I noticed that I was missing a lot of my phone numbers. How can I save my data from my BB to the SIM card using my laptop? I am new to these procedures so very simple explanation will be appreciated. THanks.

When I save the data what is it saved? (phones, txt msgs?, picture messages? IM? conversations?)

can I save this information for future in a file or cd/dvd?
    01-05-09 03:14 PM
    My first suggestion would be to hook your curve up to your computer and do a backup with the desktop manager. This will at least save everything for future use.

You can also sync the phone up with outlook to back up all of your contacts, your calendar, tasks and memos. This will also allow you to sync everything back to the G1. This is assuming that the G1 allows you to sync with your computer.

As far as the trackball goes, you can always buy another at Cellular Accessories - Panasonic, BlackBerry, Nokia, Sony, SonyEricsson, 3G, BenQ-Siemens, Alcatel, App then you can go back and get stuff off the curve that way.
    01-05-09 03:21 PM
    when I back up the information to my PC using desktop manager what is exactly backed up(contacts, txts msgs, pic msgs?). Using desktop manager can I back up the information back to the sim card? I am new to this desktop manager so I am not sure if sync and backing up means the same thing. I have never used outlook before, do I have to use it? I have used the blackberry as a phone with TXT cababilities but never with the BB package installed, just the phone and the unlimited TXT(talk about under utilizing the BB). Please help.

I have a memory card on the BB also. So if my contacts are not on the SIM card where are the contacts and rest of the information being saved and actually where are they located?

I ordered another trackball but a co-worker was trying to "help" and he jammed a key in the orifice and I am afraid its beyond repair.
    01-05-09 03:27 PM
    The backup feature of the desktop manager will back up all application data and that includes your messages, txt, pics and anything else that is on the phone. This back up is saved on the computer. The backup creates a .ipd file. this is a binary/text file that can't really be read by anything else. I don't know if there is a way to convert the file.

Sync and backup are 2 different things. The sync feature will allow you to pull the information from specific apps on the blackberry and put them on programs running on a pc/mac. The process works in reverse too and will allow the same information to be moved back to the device. This is why I suggested it for you. You can sync your blackberry Contacts, calendar, tasks and memo pad with outlook and then (I assume) load that same information to the new G1. This will not do anything for your text, pics or messages though.

All your data is stored on the internal memory of the blackberry.

The only other thing that may work is to take it into your local dealer and have them transfer the data to the sim card for you. I am sure they will charge you for it, but you will have your information.

As for the trackball, I bet the new one will fix the problem.
    01-05-09 04:08 PM
    Are contacts backed up too?
    01-05-09 10:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD