Everyone complains about media on the curve. I use mine for an mp3 player all the time and it plays video.

What's to complain about?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-09 02:32 PM
    Yeah, I really wish I would have done some more research. We wanted to try out Verizon and I know Verizon has the faster 3G network and US Cellular's internet sucks.

But what I use my phone for the most is media. I just figured they were all about the same and could do all about the same thing. For some reason, I thought the BB was just as good or better at playing media than my old version 1 Q.

I've tried several media converters that I've read about on here. I uploaded the videos and each time, the brand of the file converter shows up over the video. Should this really be this complicated?

I got the Curve on Saturday. They had a buy one get one free going on and the Storm was not included. $99 for two Curves or $199 for the Storm.

I'm sure this phone is great for apps and such but it sucks for media. I'm going in to talk to them but I dought I'll be able to switch without having to pay more for another phone. The Q is $149 and no buy on get one free with it.

So I might just be stuck with it and have to learn to like it.
    05-26-09 02:47 PM
    Yeah, I really wish I would have done some more research. We wanted to try out Verizon and I know Verizon has the faster 3G network and US Cellular's internet sucks.

But what I use my phone for the most is media. I just figured they were all about the same and could do all about the same thing. For some reason, I thought the BB was just as good or better at playing media than my old version 1 Q.

I've tried several media converters that I've read about on here. I uploaded the videos and each time, the brand of the file converter shows up over the video. Should this really be this complicated?

I got the Curve on Saturday. They had a buy one get one free going on and the Storm was not included. $99 for two Curves or $199 for the Storm.

I'm sure this phone is great for apps and such but it sucks for media. I'm going in to talk to them but I dought I'll be able to switch without having to pay more for another phone. The Q is $149 and no buy on get one free with it.

So I might just be stuck with it and have to learn to like it.
    BB's are a powerhouse of a device! As you know their bread and butter is email capabilities and media is usually not on the forefront of primary features. That has begun to change with all the newer devices which have a better resolution screen and better media capabilities.

There is a learning Curve, no pun intended, and there is a lot to learn and a lot you can do with a BB, however you have to put the time in to get all the info, but its here. VZW gives you 30 days to return a device and cancel. You would have to pay the difference in devices but it should still be the subsidized price on the new device.

Good Luck!
    05-26-09 03:01 PM
    The storm is supposed to be included in the bogo deal. It would be $199 for the two phones instead of $99 though. But if you take your curve back and get a storm you would have to pay $100 more. Or if you switched to the Q then you would have to pay the $149 or however much it is.

05-26-09 03:53 PM
    Options>Screen/Keyboard>Font Smoothing will help smooth out your text.

Weird.. I don't have that option. I'm on .131
    05-26-09 04:15 PM

I keep hearing that people like their Curve over the Q but no one has really said why yet?
    In a little less than a year I went through 9 Motorola Q's. In 6 months.. I'm still on my first Curve.

That is why I like my Curve over the Q.
    05-26-09 04:16 PM
    I'm going back to us cellular tomorrow.

I talked to the guy at
    Verizon and they can't get a Q. I played with the new Q at us cellular and its exactly what I want. My wife likes her Curve so she is just going to get a Curve through us cellular. I also found out that us cellular just got the high speed 3G network two weeks ago, perfect. I've had my Q for almost two years now, never had a problem with anything. And the Q comes with two batteries so I'll have 4 batteries, hehehe. Wifi for at work, YAY , and I won't have to convert my movies/videos. I'm sure I'll be on here more for when I have questions about my Wifes phone since she is sticking to a Curve. Thank for all the help.

Last edited by Aaron1100us; 05-26-09 at 06:21 PM.
    05-26-09 06:05 PM
    Are you dealing with a VZW Corporate Store or a dealer? You can always call VZW CS and tell them the situation and they may be able to get a Q for you. Sales Associates are commissioned base and usually are not the most reliable and more times than less will blow smoke just to make a sale. Sad But True! Give that a shot before you go back, you still have time before your 30 days is up, and Im sure VZW has better coverage.
    05-26-09 06:20 PM
    Its also going to cost more to get a
    Q at verizon. But yes, I think verizon has better coverage.

05-26-09 07:56 PM
    Sad to see ya go so soon. Wish ya the best!

I guess this thread is done and ready for a close.
    05-26-09 08:05 PM
    Sounds good, thanks. My wife is still going to have a Curve so I'll probably be back on again. I'm sure I'll still have questions about her phone. The Curve works great for her but she doesn't watch movies/videos, just internet and texting.
    05-26-09 08:11 PM
    This thread sounds like it was at a close - but I found it because I was looking for help with my Storm. I had a Q, and I miss it horribly. I've had the Storm for about 2 weeks, have spent hours trying to figure it out, and still haven't. I used my Q for phone, scheduling and ebooks.
    I haven't been able to figure out how to ready any of my books on the Storm, and haven't been able to load a movie.
    grrrr. I don't have the option of getting another Q. I use Verizon, and it's the best coverage for my mountain area. I went to 3 Verizon stores in the metro area (about 80 miles away) and none of them are selling the Q anymore. I'm definitely stuck.
    06-06-09 09:30 PM
    The BB will do evrything a Q will do. You have to have an E-Book reader to read ebooks. I use mobi pocket reader. Then the ebooks have to be converted to mobi format. For that use mobi pocket creator. Both programs are free. Movies have to be converted and sized for BB. BB desktop manager can handle this its a bit slow. There are other programs to do it faster. Google for them.

This is nothing new to the computer world. You have to have the proper program and the files have to be in the right format to do what you want.

06-06-09 09:51 PM
    I picked up the Moto Q when it first came out over two years ago... I went from a Q - to a Treo - to a Centro - back to a Treo - to a BB.

you'll be aight with the 8330
    06-07-09 01:44 AM
    Excellent thread. I was thinking I had to go blackberry, because you have to claw your way to get a Q. Now I will stick it out for a Q. That push server from BB is an extra $15/month at verizon. Seems like a rip off. BB may have the push server and Q doesn't, but that seems to be the only thing BB has on the Q if that is even a benefit. I like the fact that the Q is thinner as well. BB does seem to have a faithful following, though. Maybe blind faith. A lot of hype, but no substance at all when everyone is pushing the BB. All I hear is that they like it. What, you like the name? You like how fat it is? You like how non-intuitive it is? I am guessing Verizon is pushing BB and not offering a Q is because their margin is bigger on the BB. The BB is a cheaper phone to buy for Verizon so they make more money. Then they sell the push server for another $15 a month. Any decision Verizon makes is driven purely by money. But what carrier is not run by crooks and fools? I still think the Moto quality is unsurpassed by any brand.
    09-03-09 11:31 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD