I'm not into all the technical terms of cell towers and networks.
    Is the Curve's technology on par with the Storm as far as network reception?

I travel a lot to my hometown, a very rural area. VZW has always given outstanding service on standard cell phones while in that area. I jumped from a Moto755 to BB Storm (big jump, I know ). On the Moto with All�Digital, 1X/EV�DO , 800/1900 MHz I had impeccable call service but could not get online. When I got the Storm, call signal strength became a bit sketchy, however I could get online, no problem. I'm considering changing to a Curve, have to decide very soon. But now I'm wondering if I'll be able to get online with a Curve when I go back home?
    02-11-09 08:09 AM
    I can't speak to the technical aspects of cell towers, etc., but I can tell you that you should call *228 to update your phone's roaming profile pretty regularly (like once a month) if you don't. It's automated, so you don't have to talk to anyone - it just does it.

I recently moved to a *very* rural area as well and was extremely frustrated with the Verizon service. I had 1X only, and very spotty at BEST. Calls sometimes would go straight to voicemail because I didn't have enough service to receive them, and data would intermittently go in and out. I would cuss every time the Verizon network commercial would come on, and I would sarcastically joke that "those guys don't come out this far." I was recently in the Verizon store paying my bill and heard another customer complaining, and the CSR told him to do the *228 call regularly. It occurred to me that I had NEVER done it on my 8330 Curve, and I have had it since August. I did it, went home, and BOOM, I had EVDO service. I get calls now, and data moves!

I'm a believer and much happier!
    02-11-09 09:10 AM
    Thanks newsome!
    I use *228 diligently, especially when I'm making a trip back home, I always do the updates because I have to pass through two states.

But if you now see 1xEV on your Curve, I'm thinking I'll be able to get internet on a Curve when I'm visiting back home. Because 1xEV is what I saw on the Storm screen while at the farm. (On the Moto last summer all I saw were the little signal icon with bars next to it, no 1xEV.)

I'm asking about this here because VZW reps, although pleasant enough toward me, have given some pretty conflicting info. I have until later today to decide whether I want to stay with the Storm or switch to a different phone altogether. Curve has come up repeatedly as an excellent replacement suggestion, and I played with one for almost an hour yesterday and liked it (tho typing will take getting used to). But not being able to get internet/email when staying at the farm could be a deal breaker. Sometimes I have to conduct business while I'm there and driving all the way into town to borrow library PC is kind of a pain.
    02-11-09 10:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD