I have Boost's 8330 and I'm pretty satisfied with it. $60 a month for a decent Blackberry. But, I just read today on the front page of CB that Virgin is going to offer the 8530 curve for $299 with a $60/month plan as well.

I've never used Virgin nor have I touched a 8530. Is it worth making the move over to Virgin?

Somethings that I have considered:

- Both Virgin and Boost are a part of Sprint. So, I'm assuming that when the 8530 comes out, it'll also use Sprint's CDMA network.

- The 8530 offers features not available on the 8330. Such as: wifi and an optical trackpad, but it also takes away features: no LED flash. Plus, it still sports a 2.0 MP camera. Is the hardware on a 8530 better than a 8330's?

- I've read that Virgin often cripples their phones. I really like that I have a fully functional BB on a no contract plan. I don't want a gimped BB.

Can someone give me some insight?
    05-06-10 02:38 PM
    Just buy a Sprint 8530 and use it on boost.
    05-06-10 06:54 PM
    I would stay with Boost and your 8330.
    No one really has Boost, such as Verizon, I would feel special if I did; but I don't have the $$$ right now to switch.
    If you ever decide to switch, feel free to donate your 8330 to me!
    05-06-10 06:56 PM
    I was thinking of the same thing. I've read on other sites that the 8530 is rather flimsy compared to the 8330. I don't know how true that is. Its biggest pluses over the 8330 are the 256 MB RAM and the wifi.

I'm leery though, because VMUSA loves to cripple and lock down their phones. Their newer phones don't even allow you to hook them up to a computer anymore because they don't want people to load their own MP3s as ringtones.

It will be interesting to see how VMUSA deals with this. I can't see them totally disabling the data port on the Berry, as it is necessary for OS upgrades, backups, etc., but I know they won't want people loading their own ringtones. Perhaps they will make modification to their version of the OS to stop people from setting MP3s as ringtones.

I bet they'll cripple the wifi too.
    05-06-10 09:03 PM
    I was thinking of the same thing. I've read on other sites that the 8530 is rather flimsy compared to the 8330. I don't know how true that is. Its biggest pluses over the 8330 are the 256 MB RAM and the wifi.

I'm leery though, because VMUSA loves to cripple and lock down their phones. Their newer phones don't even allow you to hook them up to a computer anymore because they don't want people to load their own MP3s as ringtones.

It will be interesting to see how VMUSA deals with this. I can't see them totally disabling the data port on the Berry, as it is necessary for OS upgrades, backups, etc., but I know they won't want people loading their own ringtones. Perhaps they will make modification to their version of the OS to stop people from setting MP3s as ringtones.

I bet they'll cripple the wifi too.
    I'd be willing to go with the 8530 if Virgin doesn't cripple the phone. I don't think that they'd be able to do it. Plus, you can buy the Blackberry services for $10 extra.

Seeing how the 8530 is relatively newer it could possibly get OS 6.0 right?
    05-07-10 08:50 AM
    Just buy a Sprint 8530 and use it on boost.
    The 8530 is one of the Sprint phones that won't work on Boost. Many have tried and failed. However, the Tour and of course the 8330 work.

Anyway, if it were me in the situation,(which I kind of am) I'd wait and see what's what on the VM BlackBerry.
    Maybe now that VM is owned by Sprint, they won't cripple the 8530 at all?

I'm on the Boost branded 8330 and I am very happy with it, but I have to admit that I am jealous of VM getting the 8530. lol

A friend of mine has an 8530 from Sprint and hers does feel slightly flimsy compared to the 8330. But it didn't seem like it was "cheap" or it could be easily broken. If the 8530 had the LED flash on the camera, it would be an easier sell for me. But 2 meg. cameras are beyond crap without flash.

However, the offer on Boost's plan gives more bang for ya buck. So, is it really worth swapping the 8330 for an 8530?
    Last edited by MACKSnare519; 05-07-10 at 04:42 PM.
    05-07-10 03:57 PM
    I'm struggling with this as well.

I'm someone who doesn't really take advantage of the unlimited minutes on Boost. I usually use about 1000.

On VM, 100 minutes plus the unlimited BB plan totals to $50, ten bucks cheaper than my Boost plan.

I used to use a curve 8530 with Verizon, and honestly, it did feel worse in the hand than my 8530 with Boost, despite this device being wayyy older. Plus, the keyboard is so much better on the 8330. Really, after comparing, its clear the 8530's keys are much thinner and harder to use.

The only thing killing me is the memory though. The 8330 is pretty much dead- upgrade wise. However, the Curve 8530 could get OS 6 and the webkit browser, so I'm torn.

To make matters worse, I bought my Boost 8330 only a week ago from Best Buy, and I have 30 days to return it. Meaning, the Virgin Mobile 8530 will be out in time for me to return the Boost 8330. It would only cost me an extra 50 bucks (the Curve 8330 was $250 and the 8530 is $300 w/ Virgin)

What to do? What to do?
    05-08-10 03:17 AM
    Wow, this seems like a killer deal. I wish this had been offered a few months ago, as it would be nice not to have to pay so much for minutes I hardly ever use. (I'm a texting fiend.)

However; I'm not about to give up my Boost branded 8330 over 200mb of memory. I'm completely willing to wait until sprint buckles down and gives us what we all really want from their prepaid divisions, Recent blackberry models. =)
    05-09-10 02:43 AM
    I just read that Virgin Mobile will offer the 8530 with unlimited data, text, pix, and 300 minutes for $35 a month. You have to pay $299.99 for the phone though, but that's a sweet deal regardless. Keep in mind that Virgin Mobile runs on the Sprint network, so you'd have the same coverage and level of service that you do now with Boost.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-09-10 03:53 AM
    Exactly... Its so tempting because its the same network, same unlimited plan price, but a MUCH newer phone for only 50 bucks more.

To be honest though, the keyboard on the curve 8530 is mediocre at best. I have large fingers and much prefer the tour and 8330 keyboards. Its a shame that they went with thinner, cheaper keys since the phone is otherwise a great upgrade from the 8330. Except for that whole nonsensical no flash on camera thing, which I will never be able to figure out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-09-10 08:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD