I got an email from RIM about my device having an update available, i followed the links but becuase i'm on BES i wasn't able to complete the update...which i initially thought was for the new BES OS. I followed some more links and found v4.5.0.175 for the 8330m from Sprint!

It just finished the installation, so i'll see what has changed... i know during the update it removed BBM5.0 so i'll have to go out and get it again... but other than that everything else appears the same.

Anyone else get the email update? If you did, would you comment if in fact it was to be a BES update or an OS update? I was running 131 before this and now i'm 175, i'll try to captrue an image to validate this...

CORRECTION: BBM 5.0 was not removed, although the DM showed it was being removed i just jumped in and its still on the device. Just thgouth i'd clear that up.
    Last edited by bambuco; 10-14-09 at 11:36 AM. Reason: CORRECTION: BBM was not removed...
    10-14-09 11:34 AM
    I got an email from RIM about my device having an update available...
    Here's the link that was in the email: BlackBerry - Update your Device Software; when you click on the Check for Updates it'll install and plugin where you enter your PIN. I initially did this and got back a message stating "unable to update, check with your IT" but then proceeded to find the 175 OS listed as availalbe.

I'm curious if anyone else got it, or if someone with more experience regarding OS versions could provide more info as to was this an update for 175 OS or was it to be for BES... any details would be great. I'll post if i see/notice any changes b/w 131 and 175.
    10-14-09 11:40 AM
    They added an update icon to my BB home screen & I'm in the process of loading it now. I'll get back to ya as soon as it is loaded.

**** After I loaded the update, all went well & the biggest difference that I saw was the speed factor. The BB Browser, Sprint TV, & BB app world, which were all showing some lag, all worked much faster after the update.. so, not really any "feature" changes that I have come across yet, but my curve is a whole lot faster.
    Last edited by invioeguru; 10-15-09 at 09:16 PM.
    10-15-09 01:17 PM
    There is a stick thread at the too of these forums that has the download link for d'loading the .175 OS to your PC for isntallation using Desktop Manager/Apploader.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-09 01:54 PM
    I connected to DM to backup by BB and I was alerted that updates were available for my phone. I backed up the BB and then re-launced DM and ran all of the updates. It installed smoothly but took about 45 minutes. The updates included the new OS .175, the only thing I had to do which was a little bothersome was reload a few apps (like google, DTG Excel, email). I am pleased and may the new release live on. No problems here!
    10-17-09 12:04 AM
    I did an OTA update last night while at work. I didnt notice any changes. I actually experienced bad news, I tried to use the browser to find a Leeroy Jenkins ringtone, I got to a site and the hourglass came and went repeatedly. Got to the point where I had to do a battery pull. I have the "Enable Java" box unchecked as always. So I am curious why it happened. I am going to try some of the other apps and see how it works. But on a happier note I do notice better responsiveness.
    10-17-09 12:15 PM
    I did an OTA update last night while at work. I didnt notice any changes. I actually experienced bad news, I tried to use the browser to find a Leeroy Jenkins ringtone, I got to a site and the hourglass came and went repeatedly. Got to the point where I had to do a battery pull. I have the "Enable Java" box unchecked as always. So I am curious why it happened. I am going to try some of the other apps and see how it works. But on a happier note I do notice better responsiveness.
    I didn't think you could use OTA Update for this update, I thought it could only be done through DM?
    10-17-09 02:55 PM
    Here's the link that was in the email: BlackBerry - Update your Device Software; when you click on the Check for Updates it'll install and plugin where you enter your PIN. I initially did this and got back a message stating "unable to update, check with your IT" but then proceeded to find the 175 OS listed as availalbe.

I'm curious if anyone else got it, or if someone with more experience regarding OS versions could provide more info as to was this an update for 175 OS or was it to be for BES... any details would be great. I'll post if i see/notice any changes b/w 131 and 175.

As far as I know, this was a maintenance update from RIM, not Sprint, for the 8330m phones, even though it seems to be working on the 8330's as well. I did not it on my 8330m using DM, when I plugged in the phone a few days ago to my computer, DM alerted that there was an important update to be installed. I use BIS though.
    10-17-09 02:57 PM
    I did the update a couple of days ago. It's definately faster but the battery life has suffered a little.

10-17-09 03:01 PM
    I did the update a couple of days ago. It's definately faster but the battery life has suffered a little.

same. though reception has gotten better for me...so i feel the radio is pumping out more juice. or they are pushing the processor harder?
    10-17-09 03:53 PM
    Battery has suffered a lot for me. Went from 100% to 5% with 11 hours of no use except to get about 2 emails.
    10-17-09 04:50 PM
    if I'm on bes, will I need to be reactivated after the update?
    10-22-09 08:56 PM
    Battery has suffered a lot for me.
    Same here but it is faster, to browse. Think I might get an extended battery. But then I have plenty of apps runnin in the background too

Other than the battery, so far so good for me.

10-23-09 01:31 AM
    I'm not sure what OTA and BES means being that I'm a newbie to the bb world. But I did check for wireless updates on my device and it notified me that .175 was available. I scheduled an overnight download and so far I haven't noticed many changes. My symbol key which once lagged no longer lags, I have more memory than when I was running .131 and the browser seems a bit faster.

10-24-09 09:50 AM
    How do you run a wireless update?

10-24-09 11:02 AM
    How do you run a wireless update?

I went to options, advanced options, then selected wireless update. The network searched for available updates and found the os upgrade.

10-24-09 03:15 PM
    I'm not sure what OTA and BES means being that I'm a newbie to the bb world.
    OTA = Over The Air
    BES = one of the two forms of blackberry service Blackberry Enterprise Service (the other form is called BIS).

10-24-09 04:00 PM
    Running a Sprint 8330m with 4.5.0.131 I decided to do an update. My DM said that 5.0 was available...okay...so I did a backup, plugged in and started the update. Figuring it would take awhile, I turned off my monitor and walked away.

Then I remembered that I'm using the USB hub built into my monintor. D'OH!!

Re-did the update...don't know what worked but I lost all themes and applications (including Sprint, but kept AccuWeather) but saved my data. Guess I'll have to re-do things...
    10-24-09 04:47 PM
    Running a Sprint 8330m with 4.5.0.131 I decided to do an update. My DM said that 5.0 was available...okay...so I did a backup, plugged in and started the update. Figuring it would take awhile, I turned off my monitor and walked away.

Then I remembered that I'm using the USB hub built into my monintor. D'OH!!

Re-did the update...don't know what worked but I lost all themes and applications (including Sprint, but kept AccuWeather) but saved my data. Guess I'll have to re-do things...
    The "5.0" update you got was actually your desktop software. The latest OS for the 8330m is 4.5.0.175.

10-24-09 05:37 PM
    Haven't noticed much changes at all but things seem to be a little faster. Battery life also seems to be the same too.
    10-24-09 06:28 PM
    The new update does seem a bit quicker but I have noticed battery drain mostly just listening to mp3s.

10-24-09 10:54 PM
    i tried updating to this new software and its prompting me to put in my "username and password" to set up the email accounts. problem is, i cant recall what i used when i set the phone up when i bought it back in april. is there anyway to retrieve the username and password?
    10-25-09 09:17 AM
    Yes, found it on my 8330. Going to try it this afternoon.

I went to options, advanced options, then selected wireless update. The network searched for available updates and found the os upgrade.

10-25-09 12:05 PM
    Updated with Wireless Update and it worked just find. Had to set up all third party apps again and had to reload one, but no other issues so far.

10-25-09 03:44 PM
    I came home yesterday and there was a message on my answering machine telling me I should visit a certain .com website.

Frankly I don't remember what the website was and I wouldn't post it here even if I did.

I find this interesting considering my phone # is unlisted. This tells me some company I am using/have used has sold my info.

Anyone else been spammed like this? (not counting telemarketers.)

VomeApopamy!
    11-19-09 01:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD