I've Downloaded the Tether Program to my Cellphone, now I want to know if there is any Sprint users that have then this and whats the charge on next Sprint bill??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-10 01:49 PM
    as long as you have unlimited data, you wont get an additional charge. it uses the bb the same way ur bb browser uses data. you should not get any additional charge on ur bill when you use tetherberry
    01-18-10 05:37 PM
    well I went with the business plan for my PAM
    01-18-10 09:32 PM
    Sprint recently disable that ability on the phones, and now requires you to pay an additional $15 a month to reactivate it.
    01-19-10 12:12 AM
    Sprint recently disable that ability on the phones, and now requires you to pay an additional $15 a month to reactivate it.
    Please disregaurd this last post.
    If you have unlimited Data and Tether for Blackberry (3rd party app) then you would only have to pay for Data services. Which is hopefully unlimited.

Thank You.

01-19-10 07:38 AM
    Guys,

Am I the only one that is Not OK with paying 50 bucks for a program to "Tether" my Curve to the Internet?
    I used to use Sprint SmartView for Free with my 8330 and I must say I did need to use it every once and a while. Situations can arise.
    So I "Upgrade" to the 8530 and find this out, I'm a bit beside myself.
    I do love the phone, it's gorgeous and all, but why is there always some sort of feature sacrifice as I go from model to model?
    01-19-10 09:52 PM
    Smartview stopped working for all sprint.
    Don't feel so special. I'm on 8330. No smart view.
    The program tether was 20 on the 13.
    Wait for another sale.

01-19-10 10:23 PM
    Thanks for the Heads Up.
    I will keep an eye out.
    01-19-10 11:04 PM
    Don't b so pissed bro.. As technology improves so does the cost to the consumer. Just as Death said "wait for a sale" Theether berry has sales often enough that u can wait. I picked mine up for 19.99. Its a great program and if u switch BB, u can transfer ur teether to ur new BB. GL.

01-20-10 11:36 AM
    Guys,

Am I the only one that is Not OK with paying 50 bucks for a program to "Tether" my Curve to the Internet?
    I used to use Sprint SmartView for Free with my 8330 and I must say I did need to use it every once and a while. Situations can arise.
    I do love the phone, it's gorgeous and all, but why is there always some sort of feature sacrifice as I go from model to model?

You can just go download the new version BlackBerry Desktop Manager, 5.0.1, and there is an IP Modem option in there that you can use to tether your Sprint BB. It is a lot easier to use this rather than try to keep up with which SmartView client you need to use.
    01-20-10 11:42 AM
    Guys,

It's not device specific, Sprint disabled the tethering ability for all Blackberrys last summer. It did seem as though it took them a bit of time to work their way through everyones accts. though. I also used to tether using my old 8330, I haven't been able to do it for at least 5 months now. Keep and eye on Tether, they frequently offer it at sale prices. Also PDANET is another option that is a bit less costly. Do a Google search it'll pop right up.
    01-20-10 01:12 PM
    I'm not as upset as I am disappointed about all this. I'm not apposed to buying the program and I appreciate knowing to wait for a sale but why do we have to buy something additional? Why ruin a feature that worked well?

You can just go download the new version BlackBerry Desktop Manager, 5.0.1, and there is an IP Modem option in there that you can use to tether your Sprint BB. It is a lot easier to use this rather than try to keep up with which SmartView client you need to use.
    What is the deal with this yacoby54? I couldn't get the "IP Modem" in the latest Desktop Manager to work. I seems like Sprint isn't part of the configuration defaults and doesn't connect. I was hoping that someone could shine some light.
    Anyone?
    01-20-10 11:49 PM
    I'm surfing this site as we speak on my Sprint 8330m on Tether (it's not Tetherberry any more as they're trying to branch out to new phones).

I've been doing it for about 3 months now and have not gotten any charges. Just try to keep your usage below 5Gb/month and you'll be alright. If you go above 5Gb/month Sprint will start looking at your account very closely...
    01-21-10 03:29 AM
    I'm not as upset as I am disappointed about all this. I'm not apposed to buying the program and I appreciate knowing to wait for a sale but why do we have to buy something additional? Why ruin a feature that worked well?

Anyone?
    You were getting something you shouldn't have, for free. Nothing you were paying for was taken away, and nothing that was promised you was removed.
    It was a well known loophole that you could tether the 8330, but none of us expected it to last.
    The thing it does show is, if they had a way to differentiate tethered data from phone data I'm sure they'd have left the option there and just billed the batsnot outta us when we did it.
    01-21-10 07:38 AM
    My BlackBerry Curve 8330 was sold to me as a Mobile Broadband Device and Sprint Smartview was part of the bundle.
    I work on dinner cruise ships and used my device during cruises to link to our reservations system when out of router range. It wasn't something that had to be done often, but every dozen cruises or so I would need to log in. The Curve and my laptop accomplished the task well.
    One of the reasons I went the whole BlackBerry Curve route when it came time to choose a smartphone was this feature. The feature was that you didn't need an additional device to connect your laptop to the internet. You could use your phone and the USB cable it came with. Just like I wouldn't need an additional mp3 player, these are reasons for buying the device.
    Now my phone came with the user manual for the Smartview and the user manual for the Curve explains how to download Smartview, the website to go to, how it works, etc...
    If I log in to Sprint, right now, and check at my BlackBerry Curve 8330 support page, the latest version of Smartview is available for download.
    This is what happened...
    About 5 months ago after lots of abuse, the USB port on the 8330 stopped functioning. It went through a period of not working when the cable was in certain positions, something was becoming loose. In fact the last months of the phones life the audio port went out also. That is why I stopped using my Curve to connect to the internet.
    I never heard of any discontinuation of service or anything not being supported anymore and no one has updated my profile at Sprint.com so I hadn't heard of any of this.
    I couldn't wait to get a new phone so that I could operate normally at work again. I was actually at work needing to connect to the internet with my brand new BlackBerry Curve 8530 when I discovered that the new phone was no longer part of the solution when stranded for a signal. How sad.

You were getting something you shouldn't have, for free. Nothing you were paying for was taken away, and nothing that was promised you was removed...
    Excuse me, huh?
    I pay my bill every month and pay for services to support this feature. I understand that when models get redesigned for mass production, that somehow, for some reason, someone, somewhere, makes a decision that will drive me crazy. Like the person at Sprint that decided that the 8330 curve, when I bought it, did not initially support MMS. In fact, even after the update to the OS, I still had to be redirected through the web browser to get picture mail.
    I'm not sure why these things happen. I'm sure there is a financial motivation involved and I don't like it. It's something that I take into consideration when spending my money and influencing others how and where to spend theirs.
    I'm sorry for this long post but that's the story...
    Last edited by BenJr; 01-21-10 at 10:29 PM.
    01-21-10 10:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD