I am about to ditch my Sprint Motorola Q9 for a Curve, but I am undecided about which carrier to select. I am currently with Sprint and their network service has been great for me (the customer service is terrible). Does anyone have an opinion on the Sprint network (call quality, internet, etc.) versus AT&T? I know Sprint has 3G (I do like that speed), so I am leaning toward sticking with Sprint. However, Sprint is losing subscribers every day. Other than the cruddy customer service, am I missing something by staying with Sprint?
    06-11-08 04:27 PM
    I am about to ditch my Sprint Motorola Q9 for a Curve, but I am undecided about which carrier to select. I am currently with Sprint and their network service has been great for me (the customer service is terrible). Does anyone have an opinion on the Sprint network (call quality, internet, etc.) versus AT&T? I know Sprint has 3G (I do like that speed), so I am leaning toward sticking with Sprint. However, Sprint is losing subscribers every day. Other than the cruddy customer service, am I missing something by staying with Sprint?
    The Sprint BIS package...includes ALL DATA!!! Sprint TV, Telenav, Push email, i mean all the data features come with it, and also Sprints curve has 3g. Sprint is a great carrier, in terms of service and cost, their customer service just blows. Ill take that to have a cheap bill and great service!
    06-11-08 04:30 PM
    Keep in mind, however, that Sprint has disabled the ability to send MMS messages on its Blackberry devices.
    06-11-08 04:32 PM
    It all comes down to coverage in my mind. Test drive an AT&T phone and take it to places where you get poor reception with your Sprint phone. If the reception is better, make the switch. Reception is the foundation of everything the phone can do that set them apart, so it should be your main focus on choosing which carrier to use.

My 2 cents.
    06-11-08 04:35 PM
    As long as you are considering switching and are planning on getting a new BB. I would hold off a little longer and switch to AT&T when the Bold comes out. Don't get me wrong, I have a Curve and love it but the Bold will be even better. It's coming soon....
    06-11-08 04:37 PM
    if service is the same i would go with at&t.sprint is not leaning toward 4g in the future(2010) as is everyone else in the cell market.
    06-11-08 04:38 PM
    Add to that rollover minutes with AT&T...
    06-11-08 04:43 PM
    If Sprint gives you the coverage you need at a better price, I really don't see there being a choice to be made.
    06-11-08 07:58 PM
    Yea if you are constantly rolling over minutes with ATT you are on the wrong plan...

Sprints plans and coverage is good to excellent...their CS is terrible...I could care less abut their CS when I have 4 lines with unlimited minutes, EVDO and SMS unlimited for less than $120 per month...
    06-11-08 10:51 PM
    AT&T will be slightly on the expensive side if you want unlim data and text but I think you'll be happier with the network... I just with my Curve were 3g
    06-11-08 10:58 PM
    I thins SF just answered it for ya! more money, slower berry!!!
    06-11-08 11:19 PM
    I have both at&t and sprint. Both work well and i have no real complaints with either. In my area (YMMV) I have observed the following:

-Sprint's voice quality is better.
    -AT&T's native coverage is generally better.
    -Sprint's US roaming coverage is generally better.
    -AT&T's international SMS is generally more reliable.
    -Sprint's BB data plans are by far cheaper when you factor in all it includes that AT&T wants you to pay extra for (SMS, TeleNav).
    -AT&T gives greater account information via your BB (account balance, plan options, etc... all viewable via AT&T's account page on your BB).
    -Sprint's EVDO is faster than AT&T's EDGE.
    -AT&T's voicemail count works (tells you how many voicemails you have).
    -My AT&T BB battery life is better than my Sprint BB.
    -Sprint does not support SMS while roaming internationally.
    -AT&T charges extra for 7pm nights, with Sprint it's included in most plans.
    -AT&T C.S. is not much better than Sprints.

All in all, it's hard to say which is best. If you are happy with Sprint, then i would not mess with something that is working for you. You will likely pay a great deal more on AT&T if you use/need unlimited text and navigation and/or 7pm nights. However if you are having issues with Sprint, then AT&T would be (IMHO) a decent choice.

AT&T:
    450 AT
    M2M
    N/W @ 7pm
    BB BIS
    GPS Navigation
    Unlimited Text
    Total: 108.97

Sprint:
    450 AT
    M2M
    N/W @ 7pm
    BB BIS
    GPS Navigation
    Unlimited Text
    Total: 69.99
    06-11-08 11:36 PM
    I thins SF just answered it for ya! more money, slower berry!!!

Yeah but I stay loyal and stick with AT&T... damn friends <.< I need to port them all to Tmo :P
    06-11-08 11:39 PM
    You forgot a big one - Sprint's Curve has 96MB of RAM. That alone to me wins the game.
    06-11-08 11:40 PM
    Wow, I should've researched Sprint...didn't know their plan was that cheap, and that they have 3G with their Curves.
    Well, I just switched to T-Mobile and I can't complain so far.
    06-12-08 12:14 AM
    I have a Sprint Curve 2 weeks old and mine doesn't appear to be 90+ MB. ??

Also, one other thing you should consider that you may want to do later (as it gains popularity) is the ability to forward voicemails offsite to a 3rd party.

I have used PhoneTag (formerly Simulscribe) and it's an amazing service. Onebox (now owned by J2, the owners of eFax) also support this now. You direct voicemails to their # and seemlessly it captures and transcribes your voicemails for you, then emails it as text so you can read it later. I can then search voicemails later with Gmail's search features to find past messages.

Sprint is the only provider that cannot let you do this at the voicemail level, but rather you must do it at the call forwarding level. In turn, their systems *MUST* bill you per minute for forwarding. All other carriers include this freely as they have a voicemail software which will support this without billing.

Talked to numerous techs about that one ...sorry if this got off track.
    06-12-08 12:19 AM
    When people say Sprint CS sucks... How many times do people really call CS and what about? I don't call CS that often, but for the most part I get good CS. I always hear people complaining because they call CS trying to get a deal and because they don't, they get mad.

I say if the Sprint coverage is good where you're at, you should stay. I had ATT years ago and I wont be going back anytime soon because of their CS. If people think Sprint is bad, ATT reactivated my closed account without my knowledge (after I told them specifically to shut it down for good) and it went to collections from the account being used (And I had no clue someone was using the acc. Falsely). I didn't know anything about it till I got a letter from a collection agency. So I pretty much had to pay 2g's to CLOSE my account for a 2nd time. ATT didn't want to own up to their mistake either.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-12-08 03:04 AM
    IMHO whether you bought it there or not... go to Radioshack and have them deal with CS :P
    06-12-08 03:09 AM
    When people say Sprint CS sucks... How many times do people really call CS and what about? I don't call CS that often, but for the most part I get good CS. I always hear people complaining because they call CS trying to get a deal and because they don't, they get mad.

I say if the Sprint coverage is good where you're at, you should stay. I had ATT years ago and I wont be going back anytime soon because of their CS. If people think Sprint is bad, ATT reactivated my closed account without my knowledge (after I told them specifically to shut it down for good) and it went to collections from the account being used (And I had no clue someone was using the acc. Falsely). I didn't know anything about it till I got a letter from a collection agency. So I pretty much had to pay 2g's to CLOSE my account for a 2nd time. ATT didn't want to own up to their mistake either.

And let the church say Amen!!!

I mean really, what's the need to call CS for? If you're satisfied with the coverage & price, why make CS the deciding factor. 9/10 when folks are complaining that Sprint blows, its b/c they didnt get a deal, bargain, or their way!

In the time that you've been with Sprint, how often have you needed to call CS. I base my experiences with CS on how they treat me, not everyone else. And for the most part, whether it's been in the store or on the phone, they've been great- not always, but mostly. Each time I've come across a rep that didnt have a clue. I didnt stand there, or sit on the phone wasting MY valuable time. I either went to someone else, or called back.

Sprint or AT&T for a new Curve?
    You've said that your service is great/you like the speed of their network; so unless you want to spend more money with a different carrier, why consider the move in the first place? Also, every carrier, for one reason or another, looses subscribers.

The Sprint BIS package...includes ALL DATA!!! Sprint TV, Telenav, Push email, i mean all the data features come with it, and also Sprints curve has 3g. Sprint is a great carrier, in terms of service and cost, their customer service just blows. Ill take that to have a cheap bill and great service!
    EXACTLY!!

Keep in mind, however, that Sprint has disabled the ability to send MMS messages on its Blackberry devices.
    MMS may be a consideration, but it shouldn't be the the decision that pushes one over the edge.

if service is the same i would go with at&t.sprint is not leaning toward 4g in the future(2010) as is everyone else in the cell market.
    It's 2008! Why worry about now about what may or may not happen in another 2 years?

AT&T will be slightly on the expensive side if you want unlim data and text but I think you'll be happier with the network... I just with my Curve were 3g
    Based on what the OP already said, he's already happy with their network. You're offering the option of a slower network for more money and that should equal happiness? Besides Sprints SEP offers UNlimited everything!!! Who else can beat that currently?
    06-12-08 03:50 AM
    Forgot about Verizon!!!

06-12-08 04:10 AM
    I appreciate all of the opinions. It does not appear that I would be making a colossal mistake by going with either carrier for Blackberry service. I am fortunate that my employer gets a good discount from either one, so the monthly pricing is not a factor. Switching to AT&T will cost me the $200 ETF from Sprint and the cost of the new Curve from AT&T. I am replacing a lost Sprint device (don�t ask how I lost it) that was recently purchased, so I am not eligible for an upgrade discount at Sprint. They are trying to get me to pay the full-price of $599 for a Curve or get another line and swap devices (not doing that, either). I think that I would rather pay the $200 ETF to Sprint and get an AT&T Curve on Amazon (they are nearly free) or pick one up at an AT&T store. As for CS at Sprint, I too have had my frustrations with their 2 billing systems, etc., but I have never had a problem with their voice service. So, my choices are pay the $200 for the Sprint ETF and get a Curve from AT&T or haggle with the Cancelation department at Sprint to see if they will bend the rules. I think I am leaning toward AT&T just to save the up-front cost. I went into an AT&T store and tried the edge network for surfing and it was fast enough for me.

Again, thank you for the feedback.
    06-12-08 12:52 PM
    As I read this post, it dawned on me that your initial post and what you're saying now are definitely 2 different things. You started off talking about how great your service is and if you'd be missing something by staying with Sprint.

Now you're saying that this is really because you lost your phone and cant get it cheaper thru Sprint; so the lesser of 2 evils is to switch carriers to get the phone cheap as a new customer thru ATT.

Why didnt you just say that in the first place. The responses you got would have been totally different. This entire thread went from oranges to apples.

I appreciate all of the opinions. It does not appear that I would be making a colossal mistake by going with either carrier for Blackberry service. I am fortunate that my employer gets a good discount from either one, so the monthly pricing is not a factor. Switching to AT&T will cost me the $200 ETF from Sprint and the cost of the new Curve from AT&T. I am replacing a lost Sprint device (don�t ask how I lost it) that was recently purchased, so I am not eligible for an upgrade discount at Sprint. They are trying to get me to pay the full-price of $599 for a Curve or get another line and swap devices (not doing that, either). I think that I would rather pay the $200 ETF to Sprint and get an AT&T Curve on Amazon (they are nearly free) or pick one up at an AT&T store. As for CS at Sprint, I too have had my frustrations with their 2 billing systems, etc., but I have never had a problem with their voice service. So, my choices are pay the $200 for the Sprint ETF and get a Curve from AT&T or haggle with the Cancelation department at Sprint to see if they will bend the rules. I think I am leaning toward AT&T just to save the up-front cost. I went into an AT&T store and tried the edge network for surfing and it was fast enough for me.

Again, thank you for the feedback.
    06-12-08 01:07 PM
    Sprint's Everything Plan is the cheapest too if u want to go that route.
    06-12-08 01:09 PM
    Yes they are. If all goes well WiMax will be released in 2010. I have no link but I have the article from Speech Technology Magazine right in front of me.

Also, I love my Sprint service. Everyone says their CS blows but they have always helped me with everything I needed. I always have service everywhere I go. My friends always ask to use my bb because their phones have no service all the time. I'm the only one with Sprint, they all have Verizon and ATT. I recommend Sprint to everyone I know.
    Last edited by avt123; 06-12-08 at 01:25 PM.
    06-12-08 01:20 PM
    All,

Sorry, it was not my intent to be deceptive or confusing. I was initially most interested about voice and data quality of a Curve on both carriers (I only have first-hand knowledge of Sprint on a non-blackberry device), but I took away from the posts that pricing is what most people cared about, so that is influencing my decision and I was just trying to explain why I was leaning toward AT&T�s pricing. Again, the posts were indeed very helpful to allay my concerns about carrier quality when it comes to Blackberry.

I will go from here. Thank you.
    06-12-08 01:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD