Anyone getting this to work? Sprint says you need to get software from their site to do this, but, of course, there is no specific software for the 8330. Any thoughts?
    06-12-08 12:48 PM
    I'm having the same issue. Did you ever get an answer?
    07-11-08 05:33 PM
    I got this working for a coworker, since it was a few days ago I can't remember where it came from but it was on the sprint site. I remember downloading 2 things but only needed one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-08 06:53 PM
    Here it is - it's called Sprint Smart View. Now I have installed it but get an error (Error 692) when trying to run as a modem. I have been unsuccessful at getting it to work thus far. Any ideas?

The modem, when working, will allow you to connect at the CDMA EVDO Rev 0 speeds which is not as fast as the Rev A speeds the dedicated USB cards they sell.

Sprint Smart View Software Download for Curve 8330:
    sprint.com/assets/downloads/sprint_smartview/executables/Sprint_SmartView_for_Windows.exe
    12-30-08 01:04 PM
    So, how does the charging (fees) of this work?

If I have the BB Data Pack, am I assessed for PAM usage at a separate per kb rate?
    02-01-09 01:45 PM
    Anyone getting this to work? Sprint says you need to get software from their site to do this, but, of course, there is no specific software for the 8330. Any thoughts?
    I have been using my phone as a modem (PAM) for a long time. I am actually tethering without smart view, DM 4.6 only. I just have DM running in the background. To do it, all you do is open up your device manager in Windows (right click on My Computer and click Properties then the Hardware tab and then Device Manager), look for Ports (Com&LPT) and expand that. You should see two RIM Coms, the lower of the two is your modem, remember that Com number. Create a new dialup connection manually using a dialup modem, pick the standard modem with the Com port you should have remembered, type whatever ISP name you want with the phone number as #777 and leave the user name and pass blank, at least for sprint. It worked like a charm for me.

I have used this setup on several computers without a hitch, just make sure DM is running in the background.

If for whatever reason you do not have the RIM Coms, go to blackberry�s website. They do have the drivers for the USB and Modem for DM 4.7, as they put it. I have not needed to use these drivers however.
    02-02-09 04:24 AM
    So, how does the charging (fees) of this work?

If I have the BB Data Pack, am I assessed for PAM usage at a separate per kb rate?
    You are supposed to pay a PAM monthly fee. Doing it this way, you do not have to. As long as you have unlim data, you shouldn't have a problem, but I wouldn't call sprint bragging about it! lol
    02-02-09 04:26 AM
    Is there a way to get this to work for verizon? I have tried, and was able to get connected, but when I open firefox, it redirects to a verizon page saying I need to suscribe to some kind of service... I already have the unlimited data plan for the BB...

02-02-09 06:29 AM
    Dude you're a lifesaver! I have the simply everrythin plan with sprint n they told me months ago I am unable to use my BB as a modem but I'm gonna try it when I get home. I hope it works with my phone plan. The simply everythin is everythin unlimited for 99 bucks.

02-02-09 07:40 AM
    Is there a way to get this to work for verizon? I have tried, and was able to get connected, but when I open firefox, it redirects to a verizon page saying I need to suscribe to some kind of service... I already have the unlimited data plan for the BB...

I don't know about verizon. I have heard of that problem when you try to use your PAM without paying the monthly fee while using verizon. As of right now, I don't know any solution to the problem, but that doens't mean that there isn't one... Try googling mobishark, which can also enable PAM, but I don't know if that will correct that problem. You can try the program for free.
    02-02-09 08:28 PM
    Dude you're a lifesaver! I have the simply everrythin plan with sprint n they told me months ago I am unable to use my BB as a modem but I'm gonna try it when I get home. I hope it works with my phone plan. The simply everythin is everythin unlimited for 99 bucks.

That's the same plan I have and use my PAM often to check email and whatnot on my laptop if I'm not in a wifi area. I just don't go nuts while using it...
    02-02-09 08:35 PM
    You are supposed to pay a PAM monthly fee. Doing it this way, you do not have to. As long as you have unlim data, you shouldn't have a problem, but I wouldn't call sprint bragging about it! lol
    And your positive they don't charge for this? I don't need a thousand dollar bill haha.

02-02-09 08:37 PM
    I have done the PAM as well. I noticed no extra charges on my bill from Sprint.

02-02-09 09:10 PM
    I've done it a million times using both smartview and through windows dial-up connection (vista/xp) and with linux... Never got charged for any of it

02-02-09 10:33 PM
    And your positive they don't charge for this? I don't need a thousand dollar bill haha.

I've been doing it on all of my smartphones with sprint, whether be blackberry or not, and have never seen a data charge.
    02-03-09 12:01 AM
    I used to have verizon and now I have sprint. Verizon charges an extra $15 to use phone as modem. If you do not have this service, it will not work. This was 1 reason why I left verizon. They charge for everything even standard features.
    02-06-09 12:56 PM
    I have Family Share Data 1500 and I tried this and it worked. However I didn't surf too long. I don't see any extra data charges other than my usual 'data' on my current usage.
    Has anyone gotten charged with the Family Data Share 1500 plan?
    Thanks
    03-12-09 08:34 AM
    As long as you have unlimited data on your account you shouldn't see any extra charges. As far as Sprint knows you are just surfing the web on your phone.
    03-13-09 10:58 AM
    Can this be done with the Blackberry Curve 8530 from Sprint? I currently have the Everything Data Plan from Sprint, I have tried to use my phone as PAM with the Desktop Manager v5.XX, but so far all I get is the error message. Will try it with the Sprint Smartview and see if it works, I hope it does though...
    Last edited by dssmaster4sprint; 03-24-10 at 05:56 PM.
    03-24-10 05:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD