my curve 8330 was fine but then i couldn't open a BBM chat and i just got the spinning hour glass. i did a battery pull a few times but all i get is the spinning hour glass symbol and then a white screen saying app error 523 (?) reset. any clues??
    12-21-10 04:19 PM
    i FINALLY got it reset..got a "uncaught java exception" (?) message....grrrrr
    12-21-10 04:39 PM
    Have you recently loaded a new OS? I've been seeing many complain of this error message lately.
    12-21-10 04:41 PM
    Did you recently install a new app or theme? Misbehaving apps or themes are a frequent cause of error 523. Deleting the app or theme usually helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-10 04:43 PM
    Did you recently install a new app or theme? Misbehaving apps or themes are a frequent cause of error 523. Deleting the app or theme usually helps.
    I agree Laura, I typically see this error with a third party theme, but as of the last few weeks it has not been the case. I'm trying to tie it to a specific OS. The last two people I ran into with this issue something with the device syncronization failed...
    12-21-10 04:56 PM
    I agree Laura, I typically see this error with a third party theme, but as of the last few weeks it has not been the case. I'm trying to tie it to a specific OS. The last two people I ran into with this issue something with the device syncronization failed...
    I am interested in finding out more. I was not aware of an OS causing error 523 before. As a result, I am subscribing to this thread to see what I can learn.

12-21-10 05:10 PM
    Well I could list many instances of OS causing a 523, but that was due to modifications that have no relevance to this issue.

HJ, I would backup BBM both remotely and on the media card, then delete it, reboot and install it again. If you still have the error, check the event log, and see if any other app/theme is referenced. If not, your OS may have gotten corrupted, and the best remedy would be to install it again.
    highjakker likes this.
    12-21-10 06:02 PM
    I have seen this on BES when the IT guys pushed an IT policy that was not compatiable with my old OS. After updating/reloading the OS things were fine. Never for any other app though.

12-21-10 06:08 PM
    i'm still running the original OS that came with my curve (i've had it almost 2 years). what i find is that after it returns to normal whatever mms texts i have (that aren't saved) are deleted. i don't upload any themes and last time i tried to get anything from BB App world the samething happened so i don't do alot of app loading. i know i should get the newest OS but...i'm just such a BB noob! lol

thanks for all the suggestions and reccomendations!
    12-21-10 09:07 PM
    I got error 523 downgrading from 6.0.0.380 to 5.0.0.979. Happened on the reload, twice. Each time it was a manually shrunk .979, so I un/reinstalled 979 on my PC, replaced some of the removed files, and ended up having to use MCP to break the "nuked berry" cycle, wipe completely and then reload. No 3rd-party themes or apps were involved because I was moving from 6 to 5.

I would hazard a guess that some crucial file got honked and caused the error, because I always got it after the progress bar completed and the BB tried to boot up the OS. I had removed BBM so I could download it fresh, so it might be tied to a critical BBM file the system needs.

12-21-10 09:29 PM
    i'm still running the original OS that came with my curve (i've had it almost 2 years). what i find is that after it returns to normal whatever mms texts i have (that aren't saved) are deleted. i don't upload any themes and last time i tried to get anything from BB App world the samething happened so i don't do alot of app loading. i know i should get the newest OS but...i'm just such a BB noob! lol

thanks for all the suggestions and reccomendations!

*smh*

Get the on my BBM, we need to talk.
    12-21-10 10:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD