I've searched and tried different ways on my 8330 and can't figure this out. When someone calls from a blocked caller ID, my BB shows "Private Number." I want to assign a different ring tone to this. I tried creating a Private Number in my address book and assigned a ring tone to it, but it didn't work. My old non-BB phone could do this pretty easily.

Any suggestions?
    Spanks for the help
    03-17-09 04:27 PM
    Nope. There's no way to do this.
    03-17-09 05:04 PM
    You might try this, I created an entry for Private Caller this way, by making the Contact header is Private Caller, the phone # is 10 0s, and it accepted a custom ringtone then, as long as a number is in the field.
    I'm interested to see if this works out! Doing the same for Blocked ID.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-09 05:12 PM
    You might try this, I created an entry for Private Caller this way, by making the Contact header is Private Caller, the phone # is 10 0s, and it accepted a custom ringtone then, as long as a number is in the field.
    I'm interested to see if this works out! Doing the same for Blocked ID.

Great idea. Did it work for you? It didn't for me.
    03-17-09 06:46 PM
    I tried using all "0" but it didn't work. When a number is blocked, I don't think any data comes through.

03-17-09 07:39 PM
    Well, t was worth a try. Still working on it.

03-17-09 07:57 PM
    I've done this and it works. All I did was create a new entry for UNKNOWN and one for PRIVATE. No number needed and I set the ring tone to mute.

03-17-09 08:01 PM
    Xkegx,
    Did you do the entry in your phonebook? I tried it in my phonebook and it didn't work.

03-17-09 08:23 PM
    Type the word "Private" where the phone number goes. That works great for me. HTH

03-17-09 10:08 PM
    Very interesting and inventive thread!

I will be keeping an eye on this one...

David
    03-17-09 10:29 PM
    My bad guys and gals.. I just checked my entries and I put PRIVATE in the first name spot as well as the work number spot.. Did the same for UNKNOWN. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for keeping me honest Gynormous!!

03-17-09 10:48 PM
    Heck, at least I was working in the right neighborhood. I know I'd seen this question before and hadn't seen an answer. Just getting the addy book to take the Private entry was a first time for me. Learn more everyday!

03-17-09 10:54 PM
    And a little thing that clicked in while I was doing the Private entry, I used the other number blanks to enter UNKNOWN, and BLOCKED callers. This way I only needed 1 entry in my addy book.

I'm trying to find out how this works, now. Will post when I know.

03-17-09 11:13 PM
    The only thing I cud fig was to give all your add book entries a custome rt. It would be an exception. Then whatever was the default rt would be for unknown or private

03-18-09 07:19 AM
    Wow if this works like you all are saying that would be cool. I am going to try it myself.
    It I under stand it right you put the word in first name and in the number.
    Is this correct?
    Thanks

03-18-09 09:48 AM
    Well I've tried putting "Private Number" "Private" "Unknown" in the phone number slot and none of it works. Sounds like what John45acp suggested would work, but I have over 500 entries in my phone book. Not sure I want to tackle that just yet. I will if this doesn't work. Anyone else have any luck?

03-18-09 04:44 PM
    Well I've tried putting "Private Number" "Private" "Unknown" in the phone number slot and none of it works. Sounds like what John45acp suggested would work, but I have over 500 entries in my phone book. Not sure I want to tackle that just yet. I will if this doesn't work. Anyone else have any luck?

I haven't had any luck either and have tried these same entries, along with all zeros for a phone number. I have over 200 entries in mine and don't want to tackle this either. Would love to be able to make it work...
    03-18-09 04:49 PM
    very helpful
    03-19-09 08:06 AM
    wow i think i am going to have to try this out!!! that is neat...if it works that is.
    03-19-09 08:10 AM
    Anyone have any luck with this?

03-19-09 05:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD