One of the first things I got with my Berry is a spare battery. With my Treo I would use 2 batteries a day. I keep the spare in my bag just in case I need it. Much to my surprise I have not needed it in almost 2 months. My question is if the battery is unused for a long period of time will it loose some charge or possibly all its charge. I would hate to go to use it one day and have it be dead. Thanks for you help in advance.
    07-23-08 09:20 AM
    One of the first things I got with my Berry is a spare battery. With my Treo I would use 2 batteries a day. I keep the spare in my bag just in case I need it. Much to my surprise I have not needed it in almost 2 months. My question is if the battery is unused for a long period of time will it loose some charge or possibly all its charge. I would hate to go to use it one day and have it be dead. Thanks for you help in advance.
    Yes, I believe the battery will slowly lose charge to the point of being almost dead.

I have also read its not good for these type of batteries to be in such a situation.

My suggestion would be to get in the habit of swapping you battery every other day or so. So they are both getting regular usage/charging cycles keeping the batteries 'healthy'.
    07-23-08 09:29 AM
    The battery that you are not using will lose the charge slowly until it dies. All you really need for a BB is one battery. I use my phone for 2 days in a row before even having to charge the battery at all. I would recommend that if you havent started using it dont bother until the first battery starts to decrease in its battery life...but that may be up to a year or longer. I would say that it is probably almost dead after 2 months of sitting there... Also dont keep a battery in a bag because it is hazardous to the battery and may damage it.
    07-23-08 09:42 AM
    I find that plugging my BB into the charger by my nightstand every night works well; for other times, I always have a car charger in my vehicle.

Swap out your batteries every few days (do it every time you need to do a battery pull; kill two birds with one stone!) and put the spare in some sort of protective covering in your bag (I'd think a small Ziploc bag would work fine).
    07-23-08 09:57 AM
    I let my MP3 player and video camera go long term like 6 months to a year with no usage. The batteries were fully charged prior to ceasing use. Basically when I went to use them again after all that time I was surprised to find that the batteries would not hold a charge any more. I'm not certain but I believe they both have Li-ion batteries. If you want to keep the spare battery just switch between the two any time you do a bettery pull as previously mention. Unless you rarely if ever do that then maybe use one for 2 weeks and then the other 2 weeks etc. If you don't want to keep the spare battery you can always toss it up for sale if it can't be returned.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-08 10:08 AM
    I have an email somewhere in my bb that has a code of *3370# that will give you a reserve amount of power if you find yourself with an almost dead battery and no way to charge it. Anyone tried it?
    07-25-08 01:11 PM
    Is that code something RIM built into BBs? What exactly does it do? And is using it something that the general public should be using or is there specifics to it that should be known or taken into consideration before its used? I know in working with tech support there are certain codes provided to them for troubleshooting purposes etc. I'm not sure if anyone can harm their BB using these kinds of codes on their own. I'm always cautious. I've messed my pc up enough times trying out tweeks so I tend to take that cautiousness to anything I can install software on or perform tweeks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-08 11:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD