Okay. I updated my OS directly via DM 4.7, rather than downloading the OS file from RIM and running it. Worked great.

Yesterday I went ahead and downloaded/installed the OS file anyway, because CrackMem needs it to know what current OS your Berry is running, and I wanted to delete a couple of things that way.

This morning I got a wild hair to see whether BB Maps was still denied in the official AT&T 4.5. I fired up DM with my Berry attached, checked the box for that app in the install apps menu, and told it to go ahead.

Now it's in the throes of what looks like a full OS install from scratch. Of course the only thing I can do is wait it out. Sigh. I'm guessing the download/install of the OS file somehow reset a flag that said it needed a full update, even though when I first plugged it in it didn't say I needed to update (it did that before I ran the first update, just like it should have).

Really annoying. I'm hoping I don't find anything horked when it's done--apart from the hassle of having to re-register and re-config all my apps yet again.

Sigh.
    12-15-08 08:07 AM
    Did you happen to uninstall the new OS by chance? and yet still have the old one installed?
    12-15-08 08:09 AM
    No, it was still running .110 this morning before I plugged it in (I noted it when I checked to see how much free mem was left after sitting overnight), and there were no OS files installed on my PC at all before I ran the .110 one yesterday--that's why I had to run it, CrackMem needs at least one installed on the PC as I understand it.

I'm still thinking there's some issue related to upgrading your OS using the OTA method, and then following it up with installing the OS file on your PC after the fact. Might be wrong, but it seems to fit the observed behavior.
    12-15-08 08:13 AM
    Oh I dont know anything about the OTA method. Ive only ever done it thru the PC and then used crackmem once the new os was installed..

Crackmem may just be putting back on what you took off yesterday? or do you not have that open, whats it doing?
    12-15-08 08:15 AM
    I didn't run CrackMem, just DM; I only intended to install one new app.

It completed, looks like a fresh new OS update--with one exception. When I did the update a couple of days ago it reset my theme, unhid icons and re-arranged them all the the default out-of-the-box locations (deleted my custom folders), default background, all of that. This time around it's still making me re-reg all my apps, but the theme is preserved, even retained my custom wallpaper and the storage folders. It didn't screw up my Docs to Go, either. I guess it could have been a lot worse.

BB Maps shows up in the Apps menu but no icon on the desktop so I guess it's still disabled by AT&T. Lot of hassle just to find that out, though. Heh.
    12-15-08 08:25 AM
    Well, its working right..?
    LOL

still the same version yes?
    12-15-08 08:27 AM
    Yep. Apart from BB Maps showing up in the apps menu, and PTT re-appearing on my desktop (grr!) everything is identical.
    12-15-08 08:28 AM
    Update on this issue; it's more general than an 83xx thing so I moved it:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...41#post1192841
    12-16-08 08:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD