I was gonna go with the Tour, and backed away for multiple reasons
    I have exactly 99.99 reasons not to get the Tour, in addition to extending my contract for two more years....

Only 7 more days and then ADIOS, VERIZON!

As to reliability, it seems to vary from person to person from what I read here, I suspect most of the problems with the first Tours have been fixed?
    09-15-09 05:28 PM
    I'm holding onto my Curve until Storm2 comes out. I still have my 8703e, talking about old school. LOL
    09-15-09 07:37 PM
    I'm a form meets function kind of guy. One thing I luv about the curve is its style and color. I have "Sunset". The newer BB's have upgraded technology but in terms of style....dead! Everything went to black, grey or black and grey. I know you can have your BB painted but that is a ridiculous expense on a new BB. At the moment all my BB needs are being met so I'll be hanging on to this one for a while.
    09-16-09 04:38 AM
    I'm weakening..... I doubt I'll make it through another day. It may be impossible for me to live w/o a BB now?

FWIW, I'm out of contract with VZW in 10 more days, looking for a new provider, currently considering Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile. Leaning toward T-Mo. I really NEED my phone in two places, my home area, Phoenix, AZ, where Verizon works perfectly and my sister's place in San Marcos, CA where I have NO signal with any VZW phone and her Sprint phone works perfectly so I know Sprint will work for me but.... T-Mo is cheaper and reports from that area show it may be OK?
    FWIW, ive gotten great signal strength in phoenix and CA with sprint.

cheers
    09-16-09 06:21 AM
    I love my Curve even though I have a Bold now. The Curve did its job and was always reliable. It's a great phone!

I must admit, I take my Curve out once in a while just to turn it on. Dunno why haha
    09-16-09 11:14 AM
    FWIW, ive gotten great signal strength in phoenix and CA with sprint.
    Thanks, I know Sprint works where my sister lives as she has Sprint and it works at her house, my VZW phone doesn't.

FWIW, that's the only place I've ever not been able to use my phone except when travelling through mountains, etc. and, since I subscribed to Airtouch Cellular (now Verizon Wireless) back many years ago, I've never ever had a dropped call!

FWIW, my sister lives in Lake San Marcos in California and, according to the coverage maps here:
    San Marcos, CA 92069 - Cell Phone Coverage - Page 1 of 25 - Mobiledia
    Sprint seems to be the best in that area.

OTOH, Sprint isn't good in New Mexico, my daughter and son-in-law are changing to VZW because they tell me it's the only carrier that seems to work well in Edgewood, NM. they currently have AT&T and there's zero signal at their new house.

I've seriously considered Sprint but several things make me wonder, they're a bit more expensive than Verizon's $60/mo for BIS and voice, their CS is rated worse than VZW although I don't know how that could be possible, I wonder if the polls consider CS before or after about June of this year when VZW's CS went from good to horrible?
    09-16-09 11:25 AM
    I'm weakening..... I doubt I'll make it through another day. It may be impossible for me to live w/o a BB now?

FWIW, I'm out of contract with VZW in 10 more days, looking for a new provider, currently considering Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile. Leaning toward T-Mo. I really NEED my phone in two places, my home area, Phoenix, AZ, where Verizon works perfectly and my sister's place in San Marcos, CA where I have NO signal with any VZW phone and her Sprint phone works perfectly so I know Sprint will work for me but.... T-Mo is cheaper and reports from that area show it may be OK?

Whatever carrier you decide, make sure to get an unlock code. This will let use your phone on any network when you are out of your network.
    09-16-09 11:41 AM
    Thanks, I know Sprint works where my sister lives as she has Sprint and it works at her house, my VZW phone doesn't.

FWIW, that's the only place I've ever not been able to use my phone except when travelling through mountains, etc. and, since I subscribed to Airtouch Cellular (now Verizon Wireless) back many years ago, I've never ever had a dropped call!

FWIW, my sister lives in Lake San Marcos in California and, according to the coverage maps here:
    San Marcos, CA 92069 - Cell Phone Coverage - Page 1 of 25 - Mobiledia
    Sprint seems to be the best in that area.

OTOH, Sprint isn't good in New Mexico, my daughter and son-in-law are changing to VZW because they tell me it's the only carrier that seems to work well in Edgewood, NM. they currently have AT&T and there's zero signal at their new house.

I've seriously considered Sprint but several things make me wonder, they're a bit more expensive than Verizon's $60/mo for BIS and voice, their CS is rated worse than VZW although I don't know how that could be possible, I wonder if the polls consider CS before or after about June of this year when VZW's CS went from good to horrible?

I've been with Sprint for a while. Yes, CS was horrible after the merge with Nextel, but after the new CEO Hesse took over, CS have improved greatly.

Sprint has Everything Data that includes your Blackberry plan. 450 minutes is 69.99, and incliude the following:
    Introducing Any Mobile, Anytime, forget about restrictive calling circles. Our Everything Data plans give you unlimited data, messages and calls to any mobile, anytime while on the Sprint Network. That�s access to over 250 million U.S. mobile phones nationwide.

This plan includes
    Any Mobile, Anytime: Unlimited domestic calls from the Sprint network to and from ANY U.S. mobile phone regardless of carrier. Any network, any time.
    Unlimited data: Web surfing, email, BlackBerry Internet Services (BIS), GPS Navigation, Music Premier, TV Premier, NFL Mobile Live, NASCAR Sprint Cup MobileSM
    Unlimited Direct Connect: Direct Connect and Group Connect (for capable phones)
    Unlimited messaging: Text, pictures and video
    Talk: Night calling and weekends starting at 7 p.m., nationwide long distance and no roaming charges

I have Everything Data Family Share 1500, when I upgraded my phone to my Curve 8330(from a Palm Centro), the CS told me it no extra charge for my BB
    Last edited by cookie1069; 09-16-09 at 12:04 PM.
    09-16-09 11:54 AM
    Whatever carrier you decide, make sure to get an unlock code. This will let use your phone on any network when you are out of your network.
    CDMA phones aren't locked and Sprint and VZW (my current) are CDMA.

I've been with Sprint for a while. Yes, CS was horrible after the merge with Nextel, but after the new CEO Hesse took over, CS have improved greatly.
    I just talked to CS, they really ARE worse than VZW, MUCH worse!

Sprint has Everything Data that includes your Blackberry plan. 450 minutes is 69.99
    That's more than I'm paying now and it includes tons of stuff I don't want. I've already decided to eliminate Sprint from consideration at this point. Sprint CS = losing customers, one at a time!

What I want: BIS, 50 to 100 minutes with free long distance and no roaming charges and nothing else, I don't want: texting (it's blocked on my VZW account) or any of the other "services" offered. I really don't want to pay for minutes or services I won't be using.

Oh, Sprint also won't allow my 8330 because it's not a Sprint phone so if I have to buy a new phone that eliminates the biggest advantage Sprint might have had over GSM carriers.
    09-16-09 12:07 PM
    I bought a brand new 8520 and kept it for one day before I sold it. I know its a curve, but something about that 83xx series that I love! I personally think it's the first BB classic that'll always be in high use. I saw 3 of them yesterday while standing in line at the store.
    09-16-09 12:28 PM
    I had Ol' Blue for years, but I will be getting a 8320 and this will be an upgrade!!!
    Is it as user friendly?
    09-16-09 01:49 PM
    Oh, Sprint also won't allow my 8330 because it's not a Sprint phone so if I have to buy a new phone that eliminates the biggest advantage Sprint might have had over GSM carriers.
    Wow what a confusing post. With any carrier you go with you will be required to purchase a new phone.

I've been with Sprint for just over a year with 5 lines on my account and am very happy with the service.
    09-16-09 02:27 PM
    What's confusing about it?

Sprint is the most expensive carrier of all that I've looked at, T-Mo is the least, VZW and AT&T are exactly the same price, $60/mo for minimum minutes and BIS, T-M0 is the least expensive.

Of the 4 mentioned, 3 won't provide coverage at my house (T-MO), my sister's house (VZW) and my daughter's house (AT&T) and Sprint is doubtful but not known for sure.

As for changing phones, there's no reason that Sprint won't accept another CDMA phone other than corporate greed, any CDMA phone can be flashed to another's software fairly easily (with a few exceptions.) VZW is now following suit and will not allow another CDMA carrier's phone on their network, I used an Alltel phone flashed to generic Moto for years on VZWs network but it's not allowed now. That sucks.

*IF* Sprint would allow me to use my VZW 8330 on their network it would save me the price of a new phone and allow me to NOT sign a 2 year contract with them, it's a major factor in me deciding to not go with Sprint.
    09-16-09 03:14 PM
    i decided not to pull the trigger on a 2 yr upgrade to the tour. now im debating the htc hero with sprint. comes out in october. hmmm i think ill regret it. im back and forth..
    09-16-09 03:35 PM
    What's confusing about it?

Sprint is the most expensive carrier of all that I've looked at, T-Mo is the least, VZW and AT&T are exactly the same price, $60/mo for minimum minutes and BIS, T-M0 is the least expensive.

Of the 4 mentioned, 3 won't provide coverage at my house (T-MO), my sister's house (VZW) and my daughter's house (AT&T) and Sprint is doubtful but not known for sure.

As for changing phones, there's no reason that Sprint won't accept another CDMA phone other than corporate greed, any CDMA phone can be flashed to another's software fairly easily (with a few exceptions.) VZW is now following suit and will not allow another CDMA carrier's phone on their network, I used an Alltel phone flashed to generic Moto for years on VZWs network but it's not allowed now. That sucks.

*IF* Sprint would allow me to use my VZW 8330 on their network it would save me the price of a new phone and allow me to NOT sign a 2 year contract with them, it's a major factor in me deciding to not go with Sprint.
    It's confusing that you would want to go to a new provider but not get a new phone. Makes no sense to me but Hey.... we live in the "land of the free."

I have one suggestion for you. Don't disconnect your old service provider until you have a chance to fully test your new one. Most have a 15 day money back guarantee, Sprint has a 30 day one. You can always port your old number once you're sure you've made the right choice for you.
    09-16-09 05:47 PM
    I can understand. I own a Curve but must admit that like many...I started to lust for the Tour. Well, yesterday I went into Verizon to change my trackball and started playing on the Tour...I immediately hated the keyboard...and it doesn't come in pink!! LOL Well...I lust no more. I love my Curve and no longer want a Tour.

I patted myself on the back when I chose my Curve over a Storm as my first BB and I get the feeling that my Curve and I will be on friendly terms for a while....then again...I'm still running .77!!! LOL.
    Same here!!!!
    10-12-09 03:04 PM
    It's confusing that you would want to go to a new provider but not get a new phone. Makes no sense to me but Hey.... we live in the "land of the free."
    There's no such thing as a free phone, the price of the "free" phone is having to sign a 2 year contract.

I have one suggestion for you. Don't disconnect your old service provider until you have a chance to fully test your new one. Most have a 15 day money back guarantee, Sprint has a 30 day one. You can always port your old number once you're sure you've made the right choice for you.
    I decided against Sprint, went with T-Mobile instead, they fixed the lack of service in my area, offered a much cheaper plan and, since I did have to change phones, got an 8900 which I like once I got used to it. The keyboard is slightly different or seems to be for some reason, I found I made more mistakes with it but now that I've used it a bit it's fine.

I have no worries about coverage since VZW didn't work where I need it so what can I lose?

I'm a bit unhappy that Catherine Zeta-Jones didn't come to give me a mobile makeover, I think I'd have enjoyed that....
    10-12-09 07:36 PM
    Could have been worse. Checy Chase and Dana Carvey could have shown up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-09 08:41 PM
    8330 = tried and true

I love playing with the tour tho, but it definitly feels less durable in my hand vs the curve, plus the stories of it poor relaibility....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-09 11:25 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD