I bought an unlocked 8320 and it came with OS version 4.5.0.42. It activated fine with Orange, but I noticed it didn't include the BB Messenger, or at least I don't know where to find it inside the phone. I know I can install it updating the OS, but the other problem is that this device came with a damage USB port and I can't use the USB to update it.

How can I install BB Messenger in this situation?

I can't use Bluetooth because I use a USB dongle and DM don't recognize it, because the dongle don't use native windows drivers.

I can return the device, but that would mean being without the phone for several days and I am not sure if I can use the sim in another phone.

Any help would be appreciated!
    Willy.
    04-23-09 09:49 AM
    I'd return the device. This port is almost impossible to replace by yourself and you would pay more than the phone is worth to have it repaired. Sorry....
    04-23-09 02:29 PM
    I second the return advice. The BB is severely crippled without a working USB port. Sacrifice a few days now, and save yourself some headaches later.
    04-23-09 02:31 PM
    +3 on that. I just got a charging pod to cut down on the use of the USB port.
    04-23-09 02:42 PM
    Yep, charging pods are a good thing.
    04-23-09 02:45 PM
    I have an update to this post:

I returned the phone and got a new one back, this time, it was a new phone. The problem is that when I insert the sim card (it must get the EDGE/Internet automatically) I don't get internet or BB service, only voice phone. The service (edge) is in small caps, meaning I can't use the internet but can use the voice services.

I take the phone to my carrier (Orange Dominicana) and they say the phone has a lock and I can't use the internet in it, I have to return it again, because they can't unlock it!!!

Is there something for me to do with this phone to fix that problem? I can't afford more shipping costs for this BB. Maybe I should ask for a refund?

Please, I need help!
    Willy.
    05-02-09 07:34 PM
    Willy, contact the seller and have them release the pin associated with that device and if they cant or wont do it then get a refund of your money.
    05-02-09 10:26 PM
    Willy, contact the seller and have them release the pin associated with that device and if they cant or wont do it then get a refund of your money.
    Thanks for the answer... I have to wait until monday because they don't work on weekends.

What if they release the pin associated with this device, how do I unlock it?

Doesn't this phone have a pin already? I am a little confused.

Thanks!
    Willy.
    05-02-09 11:25 PM
    I think I got it, sorry, I am very new to smart phones and BB, in fact this is my very first smart phone.

They haven't released this phone's pin number from an account, right? Then this procedure can be done without me sending the phone back (if they are willing to do it)?

Willy.
    05-03-09 12:08 AM
    Yep, after they release the pin and your carrier confirms it has been released they can have the pin associated with your account and you will be good to go with data services. Let us know how it works out.
    05-03-09 08:00 AM
    Yep, after they release the pin and your carrier confirms it has been released they can have the pin associated with your account and you will be good to go with data services. Let us know how it works out.
    Ok, I will.

I forgot to mention: When I first inserted the sim card, with the BB service activated, in the phone, it didn't ask to change the pin, it just went right to wifi and phone service. Is this a symptom of what we're talking about (that the pin needs to be released)?

Also, the sim was used for 5 days in a regular Nokia phone awaiting for the new BB (just using phone services, of course). Can this damage or corrupt the sim card?

Regards,
    Willy.
    05-03-09 10:32 AM
    It will ask to change your pin when you log into your Orange BIS account. Using the sim in another phone wont damage it all.
    05-03-09 10:42 AM
    How do I login to my Orange BIS account?

-------------------------------------------

I just spoke again with someone from my service provider (Orange Dominicana) about the problem. He says that the phone should give data services, even if the pin has not been released.

The first phone I got gave internet intermediately (withe the sim card activated) but I couldn't configure the email because the pin was attached to another account, once we released the pin, email worked fine.

This is very confusing for me, because I don't know much about these things.

Willy.
    Last edited by willynanita; 05-03-09 at 10:46 AM.
    05-03-09 10:42 AM
    Honestly I dont know your carriers BIS login page. I would try here first Orange � - personal or call them back and ask them what the BIS webpage address is so you can resend service books.
    05-03-09 11:47 AM
    As far as I know you can't change the pin on a device, it is perm. When you register your BB with your network, then the pin is registered to your account.

If I were you, I would start with completely wiping the device and installing BB software for your carrier.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-09 01:30 PM
    Problem solved. They delivered a new phone that worked out of the box, this time it was a new phone, the other ones I don't think they were.

Thanks everybody.
    05-15-09 08:43 AM
    Your welcome. Glad you go it worked out.
    05-15-09 08:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD