OK; I've put forth the TWO-plus hours in searching/browsing threads and FAQs. Apparently, I can't come up with a good search string... so--

I want to send an SMS text to a non-phone number, like when you hear on TV-- "text the word "STUPIDNOOB" to #####" where ##### is a 5-digit number. (I'm actually trying to track a UPS shipment via SMS).

When I initiate the SMS message, I send it to "[Use Once]" and it asks "Which type of address?" (Phone or Email). I tried Phone and sent the message. I got a reply saying "Error: phone not provisioned". If I try Email, it responds with "Your MSG could not be DELIVERED because Invalid Destination Account"

I also tried adding an asterisk and pound to the beginning of the 5-digit number or the end, but no luck.

I'm on Sprint, 8330, and an Enterprise Server.

btw, the UPS instructions are at www[dot]ups[dot]com/content/us/en/tracking/tracking/wireless/index.html
    05-27-09 05:05 PM
    All I know is that texting this way DOES work on my 8330 on Verizon. I put the number like 58772 or something like that in my address book and called it what it was (in my case, Chevy Player of the Game) and then I simply send an SMS to that "contact". I know that it has worked for me, but I am not sure how to help you.

Did you say you already tried what I have done? I am going back to your post to read it again. OK you said you tried phone or email. Try sending it as an SMS. See if that works. Remember to keep track of the # of SMS you send and receive unless you have a plan. It can add up quickly.

See if that works.
    05-27-09 05:39 PM
    Yup, I think it should work exactly the way I told you. Here are UPS' directions:

Two-Way Interactive SMS Text Messaging (non-registered users)
    To receive tracking status for tracking numbers you have not saved, follow these steps:

1. Create a SMS text message in the following format: TR + the complete UPS tracking number.
    (Example of a correct entry: TR173X100012345678)
    2. Text the message to MYUPS (69877).
    3. Receive a SMS text message on your wireless device with the status of your shipment.

According to this, send an SMS to the number above in step 2 and send your shipment # with TR at the beginning.
    Please let me know if it does finally work for you.
    Have no idea of BES is the problem...
    05-27-09 05:42 PM
    If u haven't been able to text to those types of numbers before it might be a block on Sprints end..I am also with Sprint and have never been able to text to those #s. I'm a user on a family share plan and I think the main acct. Holder has it blocked..if all else fails try givin them a call..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-09 05:48 PM
    I know this doesn't solve the sms problem but if you put the tracking # into google it comes up as a result and a link you can click on for tracking info.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-09 07:00 PM
    Thanks for the responses everyone. My guess is that UPS didn't have my shipment in their system yet, and that's why I was getting the cryptic errors. I just sent an SMS to a different service and "Use Once/phone" worked. Thanks, jaydee for the tip on entering into the address book, too. That worked perfectly.
    06-10-09 03:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD