This might be a simple question. I've had my 8330 curve for about a month. I get a decent # of SMS messages, maybe 20-30 a day. I've never deleted any. Just wondering whether the BB OS will start autodeleting old SMS messages (like, say those that are > 90 days old or something) or if they will store them until all memory is used up.

If my math is correct, 160 chars per message (1 byte/char) * 30/day = 4.8kb/day. 4.8kb * 365 days = 1.752MB/year. At that rate I'll upgrade long before I use up the available memory so maybe I shouldn't worry about it.
    09-02-08 07:55 PM
    This might be a simple question. I've had my 8330 curve for about a month. I get a decent # of SMS messages, maybe 20-30 a day. I've never deleted any. Just wondering whether the BB OS will start autodeleting old SMS messages (like, say those that are > 90 days old or something) or if they will store them until all memory is used up.

If my math is correct, 160 chars per message (1 byte/char) * 30/day = 4.8kb/day. 4.8kb * 365 days = 1.752MB/year. At that rate I'll upgrade long before I use up the available memory so maybe I shouldn't worry about it.
    You can set it to keep your messages forever. (messages > options > general options > scroll down to actions > keep messages).
    But if you start running out of available free memory, it will delete messages for space.
    09-02-08 08:01 PM
    A word of warning, I have the sprint branded 8330 (when I had 4.3.0.127 on it) setting keep forever was acting as keep for 30 days and keep for 30 days was acting as keep forever. I know of one other person who has confirmed that it was happening on their 8330 as well. 4.5.0.56 and 4.5.0.77 both appear to work correctly for those settings. I've not used any of the other versions of 4.5.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-08 01:56 AM
    mine recently did this and deleted all my messages, not just sms texts but messages on my blackberry email acct. this is frustrating b/c it's set on keep messages forever, and i've only had my phone (brand new) for almost a month now. if anyone knows why this is happening, i would appreciate advice.
    09-03-08 11:01 AM
    mine recently did this and deleted all my messages, not just sms texts but messages on my blackberry email acct. this is frustrating b/c it's set on keep messages forever, and i've only had my phone (brand new) for almost a month now. if anyone knows why this is happening, i would appreciate advice.
    you are probably low on memory go to options/status and post your file free. if it is below 12xxx,xxx bytes you will start to lose text and call logs. follow the memory link in my signature to free some memory up
    09-03-08 11:11 AM
    So less than ~12MB free it starts deleting stuff? Dumb.

@Stoneryno, thanks for the warning. I have a Sprint 8330 too, I hope that setting isn't all screwed up. I'll know soon since I've had it about a month now.
    09-03-08 04:32 PM
    I am not certain if on 4.5 OS is the same but on 4.3 and older OS the BB needs a certain amount of free space on device memory for device operation. I don't know the technical details, but I assume this is kind of like virtual memory on a PC. 12MB is what people have determined to be a safe point to avoid having the BB delete non critical stuff that typically are deleted by the user at some point, commonly is text email and call logs.

09-07-08 02:09 AM
    Actually I believe your berry will not start to delete stuff until your file free is real low -- like between 5 and zero, so it is important that you begin to free memory now. Let's begin by taking a few steps, follow along with me. First press alt-left shift-H. Write down your file free number, click back. Press your menu key, roll down and click options, press cache operations, roll down and click clear under the content cache number. Now press alt-right shift- delete at the same time. When your berry is finished reseting, press alt-left shift-H, write down your file free number and subtract the first number. Report back with the difference. Do this now, then I'll post a link to the memory management instructions that will help you set up your device so you can avoind problems in the future.

09-07-08 02:35 AM
    Fyi, a cdma device will have more memory and not havd the need to do memory managemet as soon as other devices. That said, bk, there is more to it than just the messages you have stored. I hope I explain this right, but there are many things that will tie up memory from the number of applications one has installed to the way one exits programs (menu-close). When enough memory is tied up, your device's software is written so that is will clear memory from the easiest places to get it. That's why it deletes messages, but it isn't clearing messages because they are tying memory up.

09-07-08 03:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD