Why is browsing so slow while using Wi-fi? There is no noticeable difference from using EDGE. I've searched the forums and couldn't find a good answer. Setting the the wi-fi browser to default doesn't improve the speed.

I suspect it's limited by the same thing that prevents mobile speed test sites from working: the proxy server. It this correct?

Every other device I use(d) browses very quickly on wi-fi (iPhone, WM Dash, WM Wing, etc.) The Blackberry is my favorite device, but it falls flat in this area. What's the advantage of having Wi-fi if it's not faster? (I can't add UMA to my current rate plan, and T-Mobile coverage here is great.)
    03-21-08 12:20 PM
    The early reviews pointed out that little speed difference was noted between EDGE and Wifi. That was an indication that the Brower was well optimized for slower speed performance.

There is huge difference in bandwidth. My Curve connects at 48 Mbps, a couple of orders of magnitude faster then EDGE.
    03-21-08 12:29 PM
    I'm not experiencing that at all. Mine is A LOT faster on wifi than edge.
    03-21-08 02:46 PM
    Why is browsing so slow while using Wi-fi?
    Because you're not using OS 4.3. It friggin' KILLS 4.2, and is blazing fast. I don't know what they did to the code, but it rules.

Let's hear it for the 8320! (and the 8820, and the 8120 )

-Eric
    03-21-08 02:51 PM
    I've noticed the same problem, although it's not consistent. At times, using wifi is very fast and pages load nearly as fast as on my computer. At other times, the load bar will go all the way across the screen, then stay at full for about 1 min. before finally loading the page. It sometimes takes as much as 4-5 minutes to load a page. I haven't figured it out...but it's annoying as ****!
    03-21-08 03:03 PM
    Ust wait for 4.5. Whatever the problem was, it's fixed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-08 03:23 PM
    WIFI on HotSpot@ Home is almost as fast as my laptop over wireless.
    03-21-08 03:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD