I have a really strange problem with my Curve 8310. The phone is about a year old and I'm on AT&T. I'm running 4.5 for the OS.

Last week, I noticed my phone was dropping google chat randomly and some of my BB messages weren't sending right away (clock icon). After further investigation, I noticed the phone was drifting from EDGE to GSM. Now, this is only happening at work. I get a great signal at work; almost full bar. At home, where my signal is maybe half of work...no problem.

I called AT&T and they couldn't find anything wrong with the local tower or my phone. They said it was "normal" to drift back and forth. Now, if I was driving around in an area with spotty coverage, that would be expected. But the phone sits on my desk all day in the same spot. And the performance over the last year has been fine.

I went to the local AT&T store Friday and they replaced my SIM card. They also looked up my local tower and checked for trouble tickets...nothing.

The phone worked fine all weekend and I didn't have any issues with aps dropping or e-mails not pushing or problems with BB messenger.

One odd thing I noticed last Friday... The phone will often go into GSM, then drift back to EDGE. But no e-mails or BB messages will come through. I'll have to shut off the antena, turn it on, wait and then things happen. This time, I left the phone as is; I figured I'd show them at the AT&T store. When plugged the phone into my work PC to back up my callendar, everything came through.

Another random issue. Our phones don't get service at our weekend place in VT. If I leave my phone on, the phone will still display "no service" even if I'm in an area that has service. I have to reboot the phone to get it to pick up the signal again. Not so with my wife's MotoQ, her phone will pick up the signal as we're driving away from the house.

So, I'm not sure what issue is here. I've done battery pulls, turned the phone off, deleted extra e-mails, ect. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    06-30-09 09:39 AM
    First option is troubleshoot the phone. Put another phone on your account, or swap your sim to another phone. If that fixes the issue, could be a device.

Its hard to get a trouble ticket opened on a cell site. If you're the first person to notice it, and you can't open a trouble ticket, why would a sales rep expect to find a trouble ticket on that site? You just have to wait around until something goes into alarm and a cell tech gets dispatched to repair it.

Thats the problem with these issues. It can take months to repair if the carrier doesn't show anything abnormal at the site like dropped call logs or failed radios.
    06-30-09 09:46 AM
    Thanks Isriam!

I've already replaced the SIM with a new one. I think that can rule that out as the problem. Unless I'm missing something (which is possible!)

This is a really difficult one to figure out. I'm stumped. Too many variables.
    06-30-09 10:03 AM
    Just tried wiping the BB and restoring. That went fine...but it's still doing it.

I guess my only option is to call ATT.
    06-30-09 12:02 PM
    Yesterday, with the help of a buddy, I wiped the machine back to the OEM settings. This didn't solve the issue.

However, I noticed that if I kept my phone away from my PC, the EDGE GSM transition wouldn't happen that often. Also, it seems this problem still really only happens at work. Today, my phone dropped twice...opposed to the dozens of times yesterday. I'm not 100% sure if it's the PC though. I've had the same PC for months and this phone for a year; and this problem just happened.

Does anyone know what types of things can cause interference with the BB? All I have on my desk: A PC, clock radio and a VOIP phone. I've had the same stuff for as long as I've had the phone. I don't have a microwave or anything like that.
    07-01-09 12:19 PM
    Mine is also doing it as well. i think it might be my PC though cause it doesn't happen any other place. maybe the wireless signal that my PC is sending out.
    07-03-09 07:24 PM
    I've had the same problem for the last week and a half. No EDGE. Just GSM. I would get EDGE everywhere before and all of a sudden only GSM. I did a battery pull and no change.
    NOW...I seem to get EDGE mostly again. Weird.
    07-04-09 01:16 PM
    I'm having this issue on TMO all today, my BB with data is on GSM while the one without data is on edge
    07-07-09 08:39 PM
    i am using unlocked 9530 on ATT, it is in EDGE, drop calls few times in a month, i guess because of my unlocked phone, i didn't bother to call ATT.
    07-07-09 08:47 PM
    i am using unlocked 9530 on ATT, it is in EDGE, drop calls few times in a month, i guess because of my unlocked phone, i didn't bother to call ATT.
    Yeah, it's on my unlocked Storm on TMO, except I pulled the SIM out and put it into a TMO BB and I had the same issue, I'll just assume it will correct itself at some point.
    07-07-09 09:03 PM
    Try this:

Go to Manage Connections.

>Mobile Network Options

>Network Selection Mode: MANUAL

>Choose Available Networks

From here, choose any other Networks. (Other than the one you are currently using). I recommend choosing a Network which you think has the best signal/coverage. Choose other network for a while (you will get SOS). Leave it for a few seconds. After that, choose your Network again.

Hope this helps.
    11-07-11 10:37 PM
    This started happening to me in the last week. I've had my phone for almost 2 years and it just started doing this.

I tried my SIM in another Blackberry (same model), and it gave me the same issue.

It does this everywhere, so I imagine it's not just a signal issue (and I've never had issues before).

What's even stranger, when it actually does manage to connect to Edge:

- There's always the little "outgoing" arrow at the top (not the full one, a smaller one)
    - I can't send or receive MMS messages (Outgoing goes to a red X after about 5 seconds, and incoming messages don't fully download and claim to be from the phone number "1")
    - Every time I reset my phone, I get the same SMS message from a month ago from a friend of mine as a new message.

Anyone ever figure this out?

@tengku_a It doesn't seem to want to give me a choice when I open Manage Network Connections. It's stuck on AT&T and I don't see any other way to change it or to set it to manual.

EDIT: Seems to have fixed itself. Very strange. Oh well, at least it works now!
    Last edited by Smikers; 11-15-11 at 08:42 PM.
    11-13-11 01:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD