I thought I posted this, but now I can't find it (rookie maneuver).

I have a new curve with OS v4.2.2.170 . I have seen quite a few CB Curve Users noting in the forum that they have upgraded to v4.5. Is this something i need to do?

I use only a few apps, most of which are far from complex. i also use the music player on my Curve (it's easily as good as my iPod Shuffle!) with 350-400 MB in songs loaded on the SD Card.

Do I need this upgrade? If so, is it as complex to do as many CB contributors make it sound?

Thanks in advance.
    09-02-08 03:16 AM
    BTW - I am an AT&T customer, if that matters.
    09-02-08 03:20 AM
    U should get it, its always good to upgrade. Installing is a little complex, just read the directions carefully and if any problems, make a post or search forums for help.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-08 03:43 AM
    Upgrading is not hard, but it is not trivial. If you install beta software, you will void your warranty and have to reinstall the official version before you can return the phone for warranty service or get Customer Service.

You really need to understand your device before upgrading. A good first step is to perform Stoner's Memory Optimization Procedure, linked in my sig. You need to do it to free up memory anyway, and a lot of what he has you do, you have to do to upgrade your OS. So it's good practice, and worth doing in its own right. Once you've mastered that, then you can seriously consider upgrading. But the cons I mentioned still apply.
    09-02-08 09:33 PM
    Indulge yourself... someone else asked the same type of thing :

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/4-5...cessary-67980/
    09-03-08 12:23 AM
    IMO, get to know your curve and love it for itself, and if you think you have to have more upgrade. Also keep in mind that ATT is supposed to be offering the upgrade to 4.5 sometime this month, according to sources. I have it and love it. But I've had a work BB for some time, and a personal BB for a few months. Welcome to CB!
    09-03-08 12:33 AM
    If AT&T is going to offer 4.5, is it something that will automatically happen, or prompted? Or is it something that I'll need to watch for and download myself?

Chad
    Last edited by cjensen; 09-03-08 at 11:21 AM.
    09-03-08 11:11 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry Chad.

BlackBerry continues to develop and enhance the OS software, but it is your carrier that decides which versions they will support.

Usually, it is introduction of a new model that prompts the change. In a competitive marketplace, they know they have to stay current or one step ahead of the competition.

When that happens, they will quietly update the source OS listings, but there will be no general announcements to indicate it is available.

The reason is clear, they have to support it and it costs them money to support a new OS for an existing customer.

When AT&T releases their official update you will see it here first.

In the mean time, if you are willing to accept complete responsibility for your device, no AT&T support, you can install v4.5 software from another carrier.

09-03-08 11:18 AM
    Thanks Reed. I don't know enough about it at this point to go off on my own...I'll wait for it.

09-03-08 11:20 AM
    Good call, get to know your device first and be confidant you can use the Customer Service you are paying for.

It will not be long now, AT&T knows they have to stay competitive, it will be here soon enough, with full support.
    09-03-08 11:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD