Okay - First I love my BB. I visit this site daily, if not more. The more I read, the more I get out of my curve. I have been thinking about upgrading the OS but I decided that I didn't want to take a chance to brick my berry. Now I have been turned on to Pandora and have been listening to Supertramp. The only problem - I need 4.5 OS to run it on my curve and I have 4.2.2.170. I worry about messing up my phone and not having it. I can read and follow directions - but is Pandora worth the worry. I really enjoy listening to the music as well as a lot of the themes that I can't use. I need some crackberry advice
    03-19-09 01:06 PM
    upgrading is a sinch, just follow the instructions.. don't worry!! downlaod it to your desktop first, then connect your berry, and update it!
    03-19-09 01:10 PM
    Sure why not. I debated for a few weeks about doing it, I did not want to mess up a good thing but I dont regret my upgrade. Its easy and you have already stated you can read and follow directions so you are well ahead of the game........ Not to worry - if you dont like it for whatever reason you can downgrade. I think its well worth it, the new additions are nice. If you decide to do it CB is always here to help in case of an odd issue popping up...
    Last edited by Tremortality; 03-19-09 at 01:21 PM.
    03-19-09 01:15 PM
    4.5 a must have! Very easy install and HUGE improvement!
    03-19-09 01:19 PM
    You can do the online upgrade directly from blackberry.com, it's the easiest way to get the official 4.5 OS for your carrier. No need to download Desktop Manager, etc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-09 02:20 PM
    I have read that I need to backup my 3d party apps, themes, bookmarks etc. Do I need to do that if I don't use the desktop manager for the upgrade?Thanks is advance
    03-19-09 02:41 PM
    Backing up everything is easy. Download Desktop Manager 4.6 from Blackberry, install and launch, hit the backup icon. take a read through tips and tricks section on upgrading and you will be ready to go.
    03-19-09 02:43 PM
    I have read that I need to backup my 3d party apps, themes, bookmarks etc. Do I need to do that if I don't use the desktop manager for the upgrade?Thanks is advance
    The upgrade process will automatically backup and restore things to your BB, but it's always a good idea to have a backup just in case.
    03-19-09 02:44 PM
    I believe on-line upgrade backs up everything, but you should do the 3rd party backup and a complete backup your BB just in case.
    03-19-09 02:44 PM
    Go for it MrsD. Just do a back up, then back it up again...lol. Make sure you leave your BB plugged into the USB until complete.

Its easier if you walk away once you start your first OS upgrade.

After that it will be a piece of cake.

CB is hear for you.
    03-19-09 02:49 PM
    go for it! the first thing i did after having my berry set up was upgrade. couldnt have been easier and smoother. i admit i was nervous whenever the upgrade status bar would seem to pause, but have a little patience and it should work out just fine. since you have AT&T, i recommend upgrading to the latest official AT&T version of the OS, 4.5.0.110. i have it and its very stable. i've upgraded my own 8310 twice before, and my bf's 8900 once, and all turned out fine. just make sure you follow the upgrade tutorial here on CB.
    03-19-09 04:25 PM
    Well, four loads of laundry and one and 1/2 videos of Planet Earth and I have an updated OS. I had to update my desktop manager before I could upgrade the OS. So far so good. Thanks for all of the support. Now I'm trying to talk my husband into upgrading.
    03-19-09 08:19 PM
    Well, four loads of laundry and one and 1/2 videos of Planet Earth and I have an updated OS. I had to update my desktop manager before I could upgrade the OS. So far so good. Thanks for all of the support. Now I'm trying to talk my husband into upgrading.
    Congrats - now that your a pro feel free to jump in and help out some others who are on the fence or need some guidance. I am glad all went well and you took the plunge

Welcome to 4.5
    03-19-09 08:22 PM
    Just show him the video camera, and the better BB browser!

When in the video camera app, press the Space bar and release and you get a flashlight... Cool.

03-19-09 08:23 PM
    I just showed hubby the flashlight. He told me he had a Snap-On flashlight. I don't see him carrying it around in his pocket though. If RIM keeps this up, the Swiss army knife will become obsolete.
    03-19-09 09:01 PM
    Ok, go to pandora.com and download their streaming music player that only works on 4.5, maybe that'll convince him.

03-19-09 09:04 PM
    When I bought my BB about a month ago the guy told that I should update my OS, I had NO clue what I was doing but the day I just "did it." Had no problems & love the video camera, xliderider thanks a lot for that spacebar trick, I had no idea about that! Man you learn something new everyday on here, no wonder I check back like 20 times a day!!
    03-19-09 09:07 PM
    well, it didn't take as long for him to break down as I thought it would. He just dropped his BB in my lap and said to go for it. I think it was the video I took of him that was the deciding factor. The only problem is, now I have to stop surfing the posts on the computer.
    03-19-09 09:39 PM
    There's a lot of people here who talk about how hard it is to upgrade...but if you follow the directions it's easy as pie. Enjoy Pandora....even with Supertramp.

Take a look at my girlfriend, she's the only one I got
    03-19-09 09:42 PM
    I am very happy it worked out for you. Not too much to the whole upgrade process.
    03-19-09 09:45 PM
    Not much of a girlfriend, I never seem to get a lot.

03-19-09 09:46 PM
    D@m Crack, you disturbed the flow of the lyrics. Lol.

03-19-09 09:47 PM
    *throwing confetti* You Go Girl!! There's a newer upgrade coming out tomorrow.....
    03-19-09 09:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD