Hi guys, I'm sorry, I'm sure this question is asked a lot.

So, I think today may be the day I go get my first Blackberry! Here's the deal, I was all about Telus' Touch Diamond... 'till I got the chance to play with it yesterday at a hands on display.

Didn't like it at all. What I did end up absolutely loving was the Curve 8330. I've done lots of research, and I know what it can and can't do etc, I'm okay with all of that.

My only question is, with all the talk of new models just around the corner (with "corner" I guess open to interpretation) would you guys recommend buying a Curve now? In the Blackberry 101 on these forums it talks about timing your purchase and to be careful of buying just before a new model comes out so you won't have buyer's remorse.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    08-31-08 09:59 AM
    Curve is awsome proven device. To wait or not is your decision
    08-31-08 10:02 AM
    I'd buy it. The curve is afordable the newest coming model..will be really pricey.
    08-31-08 10:04 AM
    I was using the 8830 for a while and just recently made the switch to the 8330. I love it!

The main reason I switched was for the additional multimedia perks, such as, taking pictures and finally able to send and receive picture/video messages.

I see that you have Telus as your service provider. They're CDMA. Most blackberries come out to GSM first, than to CDMA later. Keep that in mind. Also, I'm sure you can get a great price on that curve because of what's around the corner.

Hi guys, I'm sorry, I'm sure this question is asked a lot.

So, I think today may be the day I go get my first Blackberry! Here's the deal, I was all about Telus' Touch Diamond... 'till I got the chance to play with it yesterday at a hands on display.

Didn't like it at all. What I did end up absolutely loving was the Curve 8330. I've done lots of research, and I know what it can and can't do etc, I'm okay with all of that.

My only question is, with all the talk of new models just around the corner (with "corner" I guess open to interpretation) would you guys recommend buying a Curve now? In the Blackberry 101 on these forums it talks about timing your purchase and to be careful of buying just before a new model comes out so you won't have buyer's remorse.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    08-31-08 10:06 AM
    I would wait for the Storm (the touchscreen BB). All the insiders are saying this phone is going to be absolutely amazing. I have been hearing October 13th for a release date, so if you can wait until then...
    08-31-08 10:10 AM
    I'd at least pick it up and use it for a few weeks. When the newer models come out, you may or may not like them as much as the curve. I have my heart set on a storm, but not having my curve will be hard. The bold seems like a really nice phone, but in my opinion Rogers is asking way too much for it. I'm not sure about upcoming phones on Telus, though. The 8330 is also one of the newer curves... only been out since May..

If price is an issue, I'd definitely get the 8330. If it's not, and you have an idea of when Telus will be releasing new blackberrys then wait it out.
    08-31-08 10:14 AM
    Hmmm, touch choice...... and timing is definitely key..... on the other hand Curve has been out for awhile now, and is very solid and stable.

I love mine! I personally, don't like to get a new model when it is completely brand new, often there are bugs to work out, although the phones don't seem to bad, as they pump new ones out so often.
    08-31-08 10:20 AM
    The Curve is a proven platform, and with the release of OS 4.5 it's become a very great smartphone.

Now for the future, the Bold is out and going... the next will probably be the Storm, but the real question is when... more than likely next year some time.

Buy the Curve and have fun... in two or three years we will all be looking at some more new phones, or what will be coming in the near future again.
    08-31-08 10:38 AM
    I will be honest. I have owned the LG Dare and LG Voyager. Went back to a qwerty with the Curve and Love the keys as apposed to typing text messages with a touch screen is a real PITA. This curve is my first Blackberry and I give this damn thing more attention then myself or others which is self-centered. But I dont care, thats why Im on Crackberry to feed my addiction because I have never loved a phone as much as I do this one. Blackberry has won my choice of a cell phone over other namebrands. But service means everything..............go with Verizon
    08-31-08 10:38 AM
    I think you should pick it up, and try it out for a few weeks. The curve is a great phone, and you won't be disappointed. You will most likely become addicted to the thing .
    08-31-08 10:45 AM
    Thanks so much for all the feedback guys, and so quickly too!! You are all awesome!

I think I will go get it! I really want it, and who knows when Telus will pick up a new model, it could be months and months away, time that I could have spent enjoying my Curve! I got the opportunity to play with a live unit yesterday at a Telus display, and in just that short time, I really got to like it, so I do understand those of you who say you just adore your Curve.

Terrigno, thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately I can't go with Verizon as I'm in Canada. I am quite happy with Telus though and their loyalty department made me a great plan offer. I'm not even half way through my current term (they gave me the Chocolate for free when I signed up) and they've offered me $200 off any smartphone, and only $32 + tax for my voice plan & unlimited email, IM and data (and a few extras thrown in). Hard to pass that up, at least by Canadian standards!

Thanks again everyone, looks like I'll officially be part of the Crackberry nation by end of day!
    08-31-08 11:00 AM
    I would do it!

I don't think you'll regret it one bit. Also, being a CDMA user, we don't get too many devices right away. The Curve would be a good investment now. If you love you BB experience, which I'm sure you will, but the time you can upgrade, you'll have something new and fancy to choose from... you don't have to worry too much about it being too out-dated.

Also, the 8330 is great! I think it may be a little more solid than some of the other Curve models. Also, with 96MB of memory, how can you go wrong?!

I suggest playing around with it a little bit more just to make sure you enjoy the feel and are sure you enjoy it. If so, go for it! You won't regret it!
    08-31-08 11:08 AM
    I absolutly LOVE my Curve!

I think you're making the right decision!! It will probably be a while before a new BB or smartphone is released with Telus so you might as well pick one of these up for the time being.

As awesome as the storm or thunder or whatever looks I think I still prefer a QWERTY keyboard so it just made sense for me to get the curve now. Guess you just need to decide what things youre looking for in a phone.

The curve is SOOOO customizable that Im not sure I'll ever get bored with it!!
    08-31-08 12:08 PM
    Thanks again to everyone for their input and advice. If you look below my screen name, you'll see my decision!

You're right, I can't put this thing down!
    08-31-08 07:00 PM
    Welcome to the Telus Curve club! I too was waiting for the Diamond, as a replacement to my P4000 but decided on getting away from buggy microsoft crap :P - anyway I love it! And remember, the CDMA curve has lotsa memory (96 MB compared to the GSM version 64 MB) I really dont think the storm or thunder (whatever) will be that great. The iphone's BIGGEST downfall is typing on the virtual keyboard. Blackberries are known for being messaging devices... why would they put a total touch screen with no hardware keyboard, its beyond me. I would MUCH prefer the hardware qwerty over trying to type on a touch screen any day.
    08-31-08 07:44 PM
    I love my Curve. It's a great device and it's a proven winner!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-08 07:55 PM
    The curve is awesome. I'm wanting a bold, but then I think "why?" This is a great device. The storm sounded good untill I saw it didn't have a real keyboard. I was thinking a BB with a Treo touch screen, whick sound awesome, but oh well. I'm not gonna complain in the least bit with my curve

08-31-08 08:26 PM
    I would not get a Bold right now they are having issues that need to be fixed get a Curve for now.
    08-31-08 08:30 PM
    I went to a Rogers store just to try out the Bold, and I didn't care for the keyboard nearly as much as I love the Curve. It's one of those with all the keys fully touching each other. I found I made a lot of errors. I guess you'd get used to it, but the learning (pardon the pun) curve on the Curve was so much easier!

I'm hooked!!
    08-31-08 08:55 PM
    I have the 8330. Its a great device.

I am eyeing the Javelin, but on Bell Mobility I might be waiting a while.

08-31-08 08:58 PM
    I heard the Javelin is not 3G though.
    08-31-08 09:29 PM
    Picked up my curve last week and haven't put it down. This has to be the best phone I have ever owned. Stumbling upon Crackberry didn't help.

08-31-08 09:46 PM
    The Curve is great!!! If you need more, look for reviews (CNET, etc).

08-31-08 09:51 PM
    Congrats on your decision. I'm sure you'll find you've made an excellent choice!
    08-31-08 10:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD