View Poll Results: Which AT&T Curve Should I get?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • AT&T Curve 8310

6 31.58%
  • AT&T Curve 8320

13 68.42%
    Hello All...

Hello all! I'll try to make the introduction short...

I'm new to the site & the whole BlackBerry thing. But I'm ready to get cracked out!

Provider: AT&T

Phone: Curve (Most balanced imho w. looks, performance, & budget)

And now the question...
    Model: 8310 or 8320??????

I could not find any reviews on the AT&T version since it came out for T-Mobile 1st. I knoe that on the T-Mobile version, it runs on wifi and NOT gps. Is it the same for AT&T a well? Or can AT&T run it on both gps & wifi? And if not...is wifi that much faster than gps?

Most of the comments I have read about the 8320 is the wifi calling, but unless it improves the quality of the call, I dont care for it since I have an unlimited calling plan anyway.

What features does the 8320 have over the 8310, if any?
    I heard the gps on the 8310 is crap....true?
    Can AT&T's 8320 do both GPS & Wifi?
    Is Wifi that much faster than GPS?
    The $8320 is $50 more....is it worth it?

All-in-all...If I'm paying $50 more for a leather case which I'm gonna change anyways, it's not worth it. But if it has faster or better service and improved features, then I'll consider it.

Crackberry addicts...YOUR HELP & INFO IS DEEPLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks & Happy Holidays!...MojoKing!
    12-30-08 08:37 PM
    8320 has wifi only, not gps

I never use wifi, im always using EDGE.

Depends which you want more use off, you have I think 30 days to exchange but check with them first..
    12-30-08 08:39 PM
    8320 has wifi only, not gps

I never use wifi, im always using EDGE.

Depends which you want more use off, you have I think 30 days to exchange but check with them first..
    Hey Rachel...1st off, thanks for the speedy reply.

I see that you're a "Crackberry Genius" so I hope you don't mind me 2nd guessing you, but are you sure that AT&T's 8320 doesn't have the option of both GPS & Wifi?

Also...Wifi/Edge/GPS...I don't expect them to run like 3G but is there that much of a difference in speed from Wifi to GPS?!?

On another note...If the pic in your avatar is "you", then I must say...You sure are beautiful! But I'll stop the leg-humping there! lol! Thanks again!
    12-30-08 08:51 PM
    Im not 100 percent sure, but I DO know the 8350i has both, youll have to check with AT&T but i wanna say it doesnt, I really dont know though

GPS has nothing to do with service, thats the gps tracker thing,

EDGE and wifi, to be honest with you, I cant tell you, i never use wifi, I have no need too.. Im a lot of help here LOL

LOL thanks for the compliment ... I think.
    12-30-08 08:55 PM
    I would go with the 8320. You can buy an external receiver and
    have both GPS and WiFi. With the 8310, you cannot add WiFi.
    12-30-08 09:05 PM
    Actually...W. the help of Rachels' reply (thank you) I realized I was asking the wrong question. It's actually Wifi vs. Edge. W/ stuff that I'm also researching online...they're saying it's not much faster and in some cases maybe worse to have Wifi over Edge.

So the question...For AT&T...is it worth it to have Wifi over Edge? And will an OS update have any factor in determining the answer?
    12-30-08 11:06 PM
    You can go to blackberrys website and they have an option where you can compare both models side by side and compare every thing fron specs, weight, networks and all the stuff on the phone even default applications.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-08 11:13 PM
    As always with AG,

+1

Other than the GPS/Wifi, they are the same phone, barring color choices.

Although i do vote for the Bold, i have had both an 8320 and 8310, and they were pretty much the same.
    12-30-08 11:18 PM
    Assuming you have the unlimited data BB plan, then y the real need for WiFi? I'd choose GPS over WiFi and go with the 8310.
    12-30-08 11:22 PM
    Mojo I have used the 8310 and the GPS is fine and very handy. Not much use for the wifi if you have data plan. Both are sweet devices. Just the design makes me very happy!

12-31-08 12:31 AM
    Mojo I have used the 8310 and the GPS is fine and very handy. Not much use for the wifi if you have data plan. Both are sweet devices. Just the design makes me very happy!

I would have to agree, if I had to decide between the two the GPS (and I did make that decision when I got mine and never regretted it) is great and handy.

I will tell you when my next upgrade comes I will get the Bold having both.
    12-31-08 03:56 AM
    Thanks everyone...

So far, based upon what I've been reading, the 8320 is only really beneficial for that wifi-calling. The online speeds aren't much faster than edge, at least not worth bragging about.

So far...I'm now leaning towards the 8310. But I'll make my final decision by tomorrow.

Btw...Happy New Year's to All!

Cheers!
    01-01-09 01:33 AM
    If you have spotty cell reception at home you may want to consider the 8320. I have no cell reception where I live so the 8320 was my only option at the time.

Wifi is faster than EDGE when internet browsing. I didn't notice a difference with the native browser as I rarely use it, but I do notice a significant difference on Opera Mini.
    01-01-09 09:11 AM
    8320 is your best bet, in most cases. You can add GPS externally but you cannot add WiFi. WiFi is not just for faster internet browsing but you can pickup HotSpots or get the Hotspot@Home feature through T-Mobile and have unlimited calling using (VoIP) from home.

Alternatively, even if you don't have an external GPS you can use google maps and get to where you want to go just as easily.

T-Mobile's return policy for California is 30 days, all other states is 14 days.

01-01-09 11:01 AM
    Why not wait and get the 8900 when it comes out? Its a curve on steriods (wifi and gps)

01-01-09 12:39 PM
    imo the 8310 is great because u have GPS...if u have a data package, then the wifi really is a usless feature you already have
    01-01-09 01:14 PM
    I don't know how fast EDGE is on ATT but I personally would have to disagree with people who say that wifi isn't faster than a blackberry data plan. I'm on Orange UK, and I usually receive GPRS service as opposed to EDGE. I find that it is way too slow for streaming services such as Youtube and Flycast and I can only use these services satisfactorily on Wifi.

I would have to go with the comments that you can add GPS but you can't add Wifi, and so the 8320 is the better option.

But I guess it depends on the GPRS speed of your carrier. Maybe if you receive EDGE it would be fast enough, and again it also depends on what you want to use the data for, since you don't need the VoIP because of your unlimited voice plan.

Of course, if the curve was 3G, then the GPS of the 8310 would be the better option, but it's not.

I wish the curve was 3G...
    01-01-09 04:34 PM
    I don't understand all this. Wouldn't you just not want to worry about all this and get an 8330. I know it won't help the GPS delema the OP is asking about. Is BBMaps that bad? I use it and like it on my 8330. I love not hav ing to worry about wifi, Edge and the other headaches of coverage. I guess I am just confused.

01-01-09 05:00 PM
    If AT&T provides UMA, then the 8320 is worth it just for that. Like what was previously said, you can add GPS with an external receiver. I happen to think the GPS on a BB sucks while driving...too small a picture to reference safely...but great for finding locations relative to your location.

I'm on Tmo w/ 8320.
    01-01-09 05:08 PM
    I don't understand all this. Wouldn't you just not want to worry about all this and get an 8330.
    JD, I think most have not recommended the 8330 because the OP's provider
    is AT&T, which does not carry that model and the OP did not indicate a
    willingness to switch carriers.
    01-01-09 05:28 PM
    I see your point AG. I just thought the 8330 would solve the coverage issues for the OP.

Nice to see you in this part of town AG.

01-01-09 05:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD