New user here:

AT&T, BB Curve 8310, v4.2.2.170 (Platform 2.5.0.30)

Literally got this thing two weeks ago. Lovin' it so far.

I need to buy more storage (a MicroSD card) to hold pictures, music, etc.

Should I buy an 8GB or a 4GB card? Do I need to upgrade the OS (already?!?!) to use an 8GB card? If so, what's the best way to do that? My guess is the answer will be, "Buy an 8GB card. Your phone will only allow you to use 4GB for now, but you can upgrade your OS later (when the next "proven" release comes out), and at that point it will recognize all 8GB."

Am I way off base? Thoughts? Thanks all!
    06-13-08 01:23 PM
    "Buy an 8GB card. Your phone will only allow you to use 4GB for now, but you can upgrade your OS later..."

$36.97 @ amazon....

Amazon.com: SanDisk 8GB microSDHC Card (SDSDQ-8192, Bulk Package): Electronics
    Last edited by jaxtripp; 06-13-08 at 01:28 PM.
    06-13-08 01:25 PM
    06-13-08 01:28 PM
    "Buy an 8GB card. Your phone will only allow you to use 4GB for now, but you can upgrade your OS later..."
    Is it still compatible though? I've read somewhere that if you get a card that's too big, the device won't read it at all... is that just a myth?
    06-13-08 01:31 PM

$36.97 @ amazon....

Amazon.com: SanDisk 8GB microSDHC Card (SDSDQ-8192, Bulk Package): Electronics
    I know several people who use the 8GB SD card with their current OS and it works just fine and dandy!
    06-13-08 01:31 PM
    Thanks all! Wow, those responses came faster than Jimmy John's.

So, the next obvious question is, when do I upgrade the OS? What is the "next" version I should be looking for?
    06-13-08 01:35 PM
    Thanks all! Wow, those responses came faster than Jimmy John's.

So, the next obvious question is, when do I upgrade the OS? What is the "next" version I should be looking for?
    Technically, you should wait until your carrier (AT&T) "officially" releases it. That's to ensure "quality control" or some such nonsense. On the other hand, you can do what I do and get the newest release available (a beta) - guaranteed to have some bugs of some kind. I'm presently using 4.5.0.42 which is the newest beta that came out last Sunday. So far so good. There is another beta floating out there too (4.5.0.37) which I think just turned "official". It's been posted on Vodaphone I believe - still not "official" for AT&T yet, but who's picky.

Bottom line - it's a matter of choice. Good luck, and always feel free to ask!
    06-13-08 01:46 PM
    ...and if I got 4.5.0.42 (or 4.5.0.37), I would be able to use all 8GB on the memory card, eh? Any other advantages? Is there any way a BB OS upgrade would ever give me the ability to record video? Or would that require different hardware (ie: a different phone)?
    06-13-08 01:51 PM
    ...and if I got 4.5.0.42 (or 4.5.0.37), I would be able to use all 8GB on the memory card, eh? Any other advantages? Is there any way a BB OS upgrade would ever give me the ability to record video? Or would that require different hardware (ie: a different phone)?
    Oh I get video - and it's sweeet! No need for different hardware. I have the curve, and with the new OS comes the bells and whistles. Not sure about whether it will read the bigger card. I only have a 4G in mine.
    06-13-08 02:03 PM
    I have had two Genuine SanDisk 8Gbcards and neither worked. I have sent them both back (one for a refund via PayPal and the other a replacement from SanDisk).

I am not sure that 8Gb cads are fully working right now. Maybe I was just unlucky.

OS 4.5 is now released via VodaFone Germany for GSM phones so other carriers will surely follw soon.

My advise would be to buy locally so that you can take it back if it does not work.
    06-13-08 02:10 PM
    I have had two Genuine SanDisk 8Gbcards and neither worked. I have sent them both back (one for a refund via PayPal and the other a replacement from SanDisk).

I am not sure that 8Gb cads are fully working right now. Maybe I was just unlucky.

OS 4.5 is now released via VodaFone Germany for GSM phones so other carriers will surely follw soon.

My advise would be to buy locally so that you can take it back if it does not work.
    You have had bud luck as I use sandisk in two blackberrys, both are 8gb formatted to 4gb. No problems at all.
    06-13-08 02:14 PM
    Well, I just bought the 8GB on Amazon. If it doesn't work, I'll mix it in with my Wheaties and eat it for breakfast (and go get a 4GB card).

Since I'm new to all this, and don't know what the he11 I'm doing, I think I'll wait for the "official" AT&T 4.5 release.

At that point, I WILL be able to record video, and I MIGHT be able to use all 8GB. Good to know. Good info again guys (and gals)... Thanks!
    06-13-08 02:17 PM
    I actually just put an 8GB SDHC card into an 8310 running OS 4.2.2.170(straight outta the box) and the device recognized all 8GBs.

I was wondering if the problem arised when connecting the device to the computer or what???
    06-22-08 03:43 PM
    My 8GB works perfect in both my Pearl 8130 (old phone) and new 8330 Curve
    06-22-08 03:49 PM
    I actually just put an 8GB SDHC card into an 8310 running OS 4.2.2.170(straight outta the box) and the device recognized all 8GBs.

I was wondering if the problem arised when connecting the device to the computer or what???
    When you try to access data that is stored past the first 4gb you will get a "files corrupted" message.

You should format the card to 4gb with your PC then install it in your berry. Until os 4.5 comes out, then all 8gb will be usable.
    06-22-08 03:55 PM
    Go for the 8GB. The more you have the better it is

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-08 04:02 PM
    The more you have the better it is

I have always lived by that Rule./LOL
    06-22-08 04:11 PM
    Bigger is ALWAYS better...hehehe....
    06-22-08 04:17 PM
    it depends of your use.. if you use a lot videos and musics then go 8Go .. but i have 4go with tones of mp3 and movies and i am not even at 2 go space used....
    06-22-08 04:27 PM
    I'm attacking this thing today.

The BB 8310 of course reads the full 8GB card when inserted (7.5 GB etc) but you can't copy files to it until formatted, thus converting it to a 4GB card.

I've read a lot about this issue and called AT&T and they simply aren't prepared for such advanced questions.

I've downloaded the 4.5 operating system and located a German type site with Desktop Manager 4.6 and I'm downloading it now.

Even though the 4.5 OS is Beta, I'll give it a shot and let you know.

Wish me luck :P
    10-27-08 02:21 PM
    So far after taking a while and one "fatal error" I upgraded the firmware using the link from Vodaphone in Germany (It's English).

My system seems to be a bit cooler so far with no issues - also had to go to a higher Desktop Software so do a search from 4.6.

The upgrade takes place through the desktop software.

Right now at this moment I am copying all of my videos from the supposed 4GB card on the BB to my PC and I will format the card to see if it reaches the full 8GB which in theory BETTER!!!

I'll leave one last message of the success if successful.

Another 75 mins remaining in the transfer ewwwwwww.
    Last edited by jardhamn; 10-27-08 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Misspell
    10-27-08 07:40 PM
    What is there to store on 8 gigs

10-27-08 07:59 PM
    I convert tons of clips either downloaded from youtube or otherwise found like SNL clips, Dave Chappel, Family Guy etc, 20 minute standup videos from comedy central - anything to watch when I'm stuck somewhere.

Also utilizing an iriver radio converter, I can plug it into my headphone jack in my car and synchronize the radio station and listen to what I'm watching in surround sound.

I have about 40 songs as well, but I'm a video man.
    10-27-08 08:04 PM
    It worked...upgraded Desktop software to 4.6, upgraded firmware to 4.5 and the 4GB card once reformatted became 7.3GB recognized out of 8GB - perfect.

Took some time and had to do some searches, but vodaphone would be the company for it.

USA apparently doesn't have all these updates available yet.

Good luck to ya.

Time to copy back my data
    10-27-08 08:53 PM
    You can never have to much memory

10-27-08 08:58 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD