I have my e-mail address from college right...it ends in .edu....how can I have it pushed to my phone..like I clicked the IMAP option, but I don't know what information to provide...please help!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-08 08:38 PM
    go to email set up if you dont see this icon menu>show all log in add new email follow the steps resend service books you should get a conformation email
    07-25-08 08:48 PM
    What is it asking for? (I don't use IMAP) You may need to contact your school IT department or go to their website and find out your mail server name, I'm guessing.

07-25-08 08:49 PM
    I know the mail server name...I'm not sure if I need to click the pop/imap option or outlook...my school uses webmail if that helps.

07-25-08 09:04 PM
    i checked on this for another poster that was trying to access their college email. if its the same type thing, when you check your mail, you're using a web version of outlook. if thats the case, you wont be able to access it with your berry. when you are given a password for your email, you are only accessing a small part of the server, you would need all the passwords to access the main server for this to work. the best bet would be to forward your college email to a gmail acct and you'd get push mail from that. good luck.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/i-n...y-curve-42101/
    here's a link to the post i was talking about!
    Last edited by Cobra302; 07-25-08 at 11:06 PM.
    07-25-08 11:02 PM
    I have verizon and i setup my .edu account through the verizon BIS website. It'll get all the info it needs automatically with just your username and password. I don't bother setting up my email accounts on my curve itself.
    07-25-08 11:22 PM
    Thanks everyone for your help. How would I connect it with my g-mail account though?

07-25-08 11:46 PM
    you would simply need to contact the g-mail people through their FAQ and get the information that you would need to get you mail routed to you. BUT I know that I have a yahoo account and they will not let my mail be forwarded off of their server with out my paying 20.00 a year, so that is something that you will need to look into as well. Hope it helps
    07-25-08 11:52 PM
    Thanks a lot! I'm not happy with the answer but thanks anyway lol!

07-25-08 11:59 PM
    you would simply need to contact the g-mail people through their FAQ and get the information that you would need to get you mail routed to you. BUT I know that I have a yahoo account and they will not let my mail be forwarded off of their server with out my paying 20.00 a year, so that is something that you will need to look into as well. Hope it helps
    That sucks about Yahoo!! For my GMail account (and all of my other email accounts through BIS) I did not have to pay one cent extra and I get instant push email!! My GMail is pushed for free and it is the simplest to set up! You just add it to your BIS site from device or carrier webpage... and then within 5 mins you are getting instant email. Only thing you need for GMail is username and pass... they config all the rest automatically!

Thanks a lot! I'm not happy with the answer but thanks anyway lol!

Some of the answers contain false info and are incorrect

You can do this on your Berry in much simpler ways. I have an .edu account using push email on my device!! It is probably the same setup you are using at your university. Normally, you access the email through Outlook online, but I have push email to my Berry from the account (using POP). You have to manually configure this and add in the user, pass, and mail server... but it will work in most cases!

Otherwise, there has to be a setting to forward to a GMail account (which is free). And from GMail, you can have it reply to all of the .edu emails as if you are responding from that account. (this makes it look like you are not even using the GMail account to have things forwarded to). The added bonus of GMail is the storage space... you can use it to archive all old convos and keep on record
    07-26-08 12:06 AM
    Thanks everyone for your help. How would I connect it with my g-mail account though?

go to gmail. Settings->accounts->add another e-mail address. Type your e-mail and password and you are done.
    07-26-08 12:09 AM
    My college uses Webmail as well. I simply logged into my college webmail website and "Forward Mail" to gmail account.

This is the best way!

Dont even mess around trying to configure your gmail to download your college email..Simply, forward your college email to gmail.

goodluck
    07-26-08 12:48 AM
    I have my university email, ending in edu, pushed the my BB. All I did was log on the my email setup through my carrier.
    All you need is you email addy and your password. It is really easy.
    No need to risk losing an email by forwarding to a third party email addy.
    Additionally, you can reply and send emails using you university account. I know that my school will not accept student emails from outside email services.
    Have a great year!

07-26-08 01:05 AM
    I have my .edu account ( which is a OWA account using Outlook) and it works just fine. I simply added the address and password in the BIS setup screen and the settings were configured automatically. It's been working with no issues for over a year now.
    07-26-08 01:06 AM
    My college uses Webmail as well. I simply logged into my college webmail website and "Forward Mail" to gmail account.

This is the best way!

Dont even mess around trying to configure your gmail to download your college email..Simply, forward your college email to gmail.

goodluck
    Yep same here. Webmail sucks! And now our school does email through google: really nice!

But I still have both my school email accnts forwarded to my gmail.

This is by far the easiest and cheapest!!

07-26-08 02:22 AM
    i checked on this for another poster that was trying to access their college email. if its the same type thing, when you check your mail, you're using a web version of outlook. if thats the case, you wont be able to access it with your berry. when you are given a password for your email, you are only accessing a small part of the server, you would need all the passwords to access the main server for this to work. the best bet would be to forward your college email to a gmail acct and you'd get push mail from that. good luck.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/i-n...y-curve-42101/
    here's a link to the post i was talking about!
    Web outlook should be fine, my university uses it and I get email pushed to my phone, although it takes about 15 minutes
    07-26-08 03:40 AM
    To those using webmail: Are you using your webmail with IE7 or IE8????? If not, you are missing out an pretty much all the feature it has to offer and probably shouldn't be complaining on how much it sucks.
    07-26-08 09:03 AM
    Wow thanks yall for the help! I tried setting it up through BIS, but I think I'm entering wrong information...I have all the correct information, but I think I'm entering them in all the wrong places lol...omg, this is so frustrating!!

07-26-08 10:07 AM
    Oh...can webmail be accessed through opera mini or the BB browser?

07-26-08 10:10 AM
    Web outlook should be fine, my university uses it and I get email pushed to my phone, although it takes about 15 minutes
    hmm, so this is possible then? sweet! but what you guys are saying is that you cant do it on the phone, you actually have to log into the BIS site to do it right? i dont have a university email acct, but this is great information for others. like i mentioned in my first post, the last time this came up that i knew of, it seemed like it wasnt possible. i just figured it was kinda like the crackberry email accts. you can forward them to another acct, but you cant check them from your berry (at least i dont think you can)
    07-26-08 10:55 AM
    hmm, so this is possible then? sweet! but what you guys are saying is that you cant do it on the phone, you actually have to log into the BIS site to do it right? i dont have a university email acct, but this is great information for others. like i mentioned in my first post, the last time this came up that i knew of, it seemed like it wasnt possible. i just figured it was kinda like the crackberry email accts. you can forward them to another acct, but you cant check them from your berry (at least i dont think you can)
    Yeah, you have to log into BIS. I can't remember what settings I used I'll have to check later, not that it really matters, because it will be different for everyone, but I didn't have any trouble.
    07-26-08 01:44 PM
    That sucks about Yahoo!! For my GMail account (and all of my other email accounts through BIS) I did not have to pay one cent extra and I get instant push email!! My GMail is pushed for free and it is the simplest to set up! You just add it to your BIS site from device or carrier webpage... and then within 5 mins you are getting instant email. Only thing you need for GMail is username and pass... they config all the rest automatically!

Some of the answers contain false info and are incorrect

You can do this on your Berry in much simpler ways. I have an .edu account using push email on my device!! It is probably the same setup you are using at your university. Normally, you access the email through Outlook online, but I have push email to my Berry from the account (using POP). You have to manually configure this and add in the user, pass, and mail server... but it will work in most cases!

Otherwise, there has to be a setting to forward to a GMail account (which is free). And from GMail, you can have it reply to all of the .edu emails as if you are responding from that account. (this makes it look like you are not even using the GMail account to have things forwarded to). The added bonus of GMail is the storage space... you can use it to archive all old convos and keep on record

Thanks for the info!
    07-26-08 01:59 PM
    Hmm this is something ima try when I get off work. This will help tremendously.

07-26-08 05:29 PM
    Oh...can webmail be accessed through opera mini or the BB browser?

Not sure about BB browser but OM can do it.
    07-26-08 05:56 PM
    About yahoo, I have it set up via BIS and I receive and send perfectly fine.

07-26-08 06:14 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD