Hi everyone! Today I received my first Blackberry (Curve 8330) and I'm very excited about it! I've been playing with it all day and I think I'm getting the hang of it.

I do have a question though. I installed the Gmail app, which is fine and works how I expect it to. I also set up my gmail address through the BB email setup process (via IMAP) and that works as I guess it's supposed to as well (i.e. automatically notifies you when you receive email).

However, I was wondering if it's possible for it *not* to automatically receive email. I think I'd prefer to manually use the Gmail app when I want to check my email, rather than get constant notifications. The only reason I set up the BB email service at all is because it seems I can't email my contacts unless this is done (which also seems normal, since the BB can't magically detect my email settings from the Gmail app).

So is there a way to leave the email settings in place for whenever I might want to email someone outside of the Gmail app (such as sending a picture I take on the phone), but also not having the email pushed to me all the time?

Thanks!
    John

P.S. I just noticed that after I changed the setup to IMAP, I no longer get a little red indicator on my email icon that I have new email. The red dot only appears on the Messages icon. Why is that?
    Last edited by JohnJSal; 07-22-08 at 10:28 PM.
    07-22-08 10:16 PM
    One way would be to login to your BIS account and click "Edit" on the account, and then uncheck "Synchronize deleted items between this mailbox and my device", and click Save.

You would need to log back in and check that box to resume getting the email pushed to the device.

You can do that from the device by clicking the Email Settings icon.

Here is how to stop that Sent email back to you.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/gmai...lackberry-853/
    07-22-08 10:31 PM
    One way would be to login to your BIS account and click "Edit" on the account, and then uncheck "Synchronize deleted items between this mailbox and my device", and click Save.

You would need to log back in and check that box to resume getting the email pushed to the device.
    So this will stop it from automatically checking the email, but still let me send email to my contacts? Does unchecking that option interfere at all with the synchronization between my phone and Gmail on the internet? Because I'd still like them to be synced together.
    07-22-08 10:48 PM
    John, One of the main features of BB's is the push email.

My previous post will not do what you are looking to do, and I cannot think of anything on the BB side that will do what you want that would be user friendly.

You could create a filter in BIS to not allow the gmail account to be forwarded to the device. But you would need to remove it whenever you wanted to check the mail and then put it back when you were done.

I am not familiar with the Gmail App, but the above senario would only work if it allows the device and inbox to sync. Regular BIS accounts do not, and you only get the email that is pushed to the device. In other words, you cannot see what is in the folders on your pc.

You might check the Gmail app, maybe there is a way to do it there.

Perhaps others here have ideas for you.
    07-23-08 12:02 AM

My previous post will not do what you are looking to do, and I cannot think of anything on the BB side that will do what you want that would be user friendly.
    Could you delete the 'gmail' Service Book from the Advanced Options?

and as for sending the occasional pic, you could use the BB email you set up on BIS
    07-23-08 12:15 AM
    and as for sending the occasional pic, you could use the BB email you set up on BIS
    That's a good idea. I was just going to ask if maybe there's another way to send the occasional pic (because really, it won't be often). Could I send it as part of a text message instead?

But yeah, I think I like your idea. I can have the BB email devoted to my phone.
    07-23-08 08:10 AM
    That was my first thought, but you made it sound like you were wanting to utilize the gmail account to send pics and email, while only receiving them when you want.

Yeah, just delete the service book and use another email account that you won't be getting alot of mail sent to you.

You can MMS the pics.
    07-23-08 08:24 AM
    That was my first thought, but you made it sound like you were wanting to utilize the gmail account to send pics and email, while only receiving them when you want.

Yeah, just delete the service book and use another email account that you won't be getting alot of mail sent to you.

You can MMS the pics.
    Well, I'll see how my usage goes. Ideally I probably would like to use my gmail account for sending, it's just that I don't want to be barraged with email all th time. And like I mentioned in my edit of my original post, for some reason the email icon isn't showing the "new email" red dot on it like it does for the Messages icon.
    07-23-08 08:31 AM
    I understand your reason for not wanting to get all of those messages, if you get a lot of mail, you would be checking messages all day.

With the device on, pull the battery and replace it after 30 seconds, then see if the notification star is back on the account folder.
    07-23-08 08:46 AM
    I understand your reason for not wanting to get all of those messages, if you get a lot of mail, you would be checking messages all day.

With the device on, pull the battery and replace it after 30 seconds, then see if the notification star is back on the account folder.
    This is safe? I'm used to the warning that removing the battery with a phone on may erase the memory.
    07-23-08 08:47 AM
    Perfectly safe. Anytime you have an "issue" with the device, pull the battery out. It is a hard reset, and clears the memory. Nothing will be erased.
    07-23-08 08:50 AM
    Thanks, removing the batter fixed the icon problem!
    07-23-08 12:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD