Ok soooo Ive only had my Blackberry Curve for about 4 months. Me being an idiotttt Decided that it would be cool to put a password on my phone. Well let me just say that was the worst thing i could have ever done!! I got the password incorrect, Somehow, and i ended up with a damn error. Soo I had to go to Sprint, and they tried to reinstall the BB software but it was too late! All my info had been whiped out. Now, Im without a phone until my new one comes in which is going to take 1-3 business days.

Never Again will I hit that Enable Password Button!!!

Let me just say, I miss my Blackberry like crazy, I have been angry at the world haha and i almost had a mini heartattack when i was told a new one needed to be ordered. Ugh im soo addicted its terrible!
    06-13-09 08:59 PM
    [FONT=comic sans ms] [size=4] [color=olivedrab]I'm very sorry to hear about your problem with your bb Allofme4yu.......I hope your other bb comes to you soon and your "withdrawls" (sp?) aren't too bad

I've never created a password for my bb because my memory is terrible & I would be afraid of that happening to me as well.....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-13-09 09:31 PM
    I use that feature and use an easy password and it gives you 10 times before the device gets wiped.

I first set mine up when I went to the bathroom at the dinner party and someone was playing with my phone.
    06-13-09 09:37 PM
    yeah i hear ya shelli. for some reason i swore i put in the right password but it was early in the AM so i was prob still half asleep an did it wrong..

and David, i set it up for 5x so i wasnt able to do it 10x. anyway the problem is solved an a new cell is comin. thankgod
    06-13-09 09:53 PM
    I'm glad to read this thread. Got my curve 3 days ago and planning to put password. I'm worries with same scenario like happen to TS

06-13-09 10:04 PM
    I have a password on mine since I have a skin on it and I can't put it is its case to go to sleep. It also protects it if it should get stolen. Just use your birthday or year married, graduated, etc.

Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 06-13-09 at 11:01 PM. Reason: corrected spelling and deleted post pointing it out.
    06-13-09 10:52 PM
    I just use the same password as the pin for my atm, well actually the same password for everything...1,2,3,4.

06-13-09 10:58 PM
    The password is a good practice and issues like this are always
    user error.

For instance, a user decides to use an all numeric password but
    only press ALT for the first number. This results in the intended
    password 1234 actually being 1ers

Replacing the phone because of the password is way over the
    top. Let it wipe, restore from the most recent backup and
    you are done.
    06-13-09 11:00 PM
    It happened to me too. I had my bb wiped twice to factory condition so the lesson's learned. The worse thing I did was perform a battery pull in an attempt to stop the phone from wiping (big mistake). You're warned not to do so while it's wiping the handheld. This is the time when a simple backup on the desktop comes in resourcefully handy.

06-13-09 11:09 PM
    i love the password function on my phone. I work with 10 other guys and we share an office/work area (desktop support technician). Anyway i leave my phone on whatever station im working on just to kind of claim it and they thought it would be funny one day to try and get into my phone. I have it set to 5 tries and after 5 it wiped it. I came back in and realize what they had done and just said "thanks to who ever tried to get into my phone, its all erased now". They didn't believe me so i showed them that everything was gone, needless to say they all confessed and felt really bad and a couple of them bought me lunch of a few occasions because of it. password isn't all bad.

06-13-09 11:20 PM
    well AMAZINGGRACE i did try to restore everything myself, the problem was that i hit reset when the error came up an the sprint tech told me that your not supposed to do that, but since it showed up i figured thats what it was telling me to do. when i click to reset it, it somehow whiped everything out including the BB software. So the tech did try to add the software again and was unable to, so thats the reason behind me having to order a new one, so there for its not all that "over the top"

I did try to do what I can in order to avoid going days without it. Believe me I certaintly didnt do it purposely.

When you get new toys you fool around an learn new things and this was a learning experience. I didnt really need the password anyway so im not sure what made me create it.

Ohhh welllll
    06-14-09 12:30 AM
    You may have misconstrued my point but I assure you I never
    meant to suggest that you did it on purpose.

The tech at the store simply led you down the wrong path (not a
    surprise). A simple wipe using JL_CMDER or CrackMem and then
    a restore would have had you back up in less than 90 minutes.

And the password is an extremely good idea. You owe it to your
    contacts to protect their phone numbers, home and work
    address and other personal information.
    06-14-09 12:43 AM
    You may have misconstrued my point but I assure you I never
    meant to suggest that you did it on purpose.

The tech at the store simply led you down the wrong path (not a
    surprise). A simple wipe using JL_CMDER or CrackMem and then
    a restore would have had you back up in less than 90 minutes.

And the password is an extremely good idea. You owe it to your
    contacts to protect their phone numbers, home and work
    address and other personal information.
    But it was prob my fault overall because like an idiotttt as soon as it showed that it was whiping, I panic-ed and i tried doin like a soft reset an then a battery pull. i was never aware of that error never read on it or anything so i probably made it worse by doing all those steps as soon as the error/ whiping came up
    06-14-09 12:46 AM
    But it was prob my fault overall because like an idiotttt as soon as it showed that it was whiping, I panic-ed and i tried doin like a soft reset an then a battery pull. i was never aware of that error never read on it or anything so i probably made it worse by doing all those steps as soon as the error/ whiping came up
    Don't be so hard on yourself. I and anyone honest enough will tell you we have
    all done much worse. I can't even count the number of times I bricked my phone
    and my OS 4.5 travails while legendary were all completely my fault.
    06-14-09 01:09 AM
    The moral of this tale, is "Always have a recent backup".

Password protection is good (and necessary on a device that stores so much personal information), and I use it all the time. But like so much else, things can go wrong. A recent backup always softens the pain!

I do have to agree that it really doesn't sound like a replacement phone was necessary in this instance. A wipe and OS reinstall should have taken care of everything. Some of us do it all the time at home.

Unfortunately, I have come across some technicians, both on the phone and in stores, who knew little or nothing about the device. So they are always quick to say "you need a new phone".

Personally, I get almost all the support I need right here in these forums. My knowledge and understanding of my device has grown amazingly just from spending time reading through the posts, and it should be mandatory reading for all customer service technicians.

The bottom line: CRACKBERRY ROCKS

Last edited by stubbornswiss; 06-14-09 at 09:47 AM.
    06-14-09 05:38 AM
    The moral of this tale, is "Always have a recent backup".

Password protection is good (and necessary on a device that stores so much personal information), and I use it all the time. But like so much else, things can go wrong. A recent backup always softens the pain!

I do have to agree that it really doesn't sound like a replacement phone was necessary in this instance. A wipe and OS reinstall should have taken care of everything. Some of us do it all the time at home.

Unfortunately, I have come across some technicians, both on the phone and in stores, who knew little or nothing about the device. So they are always quick to say "you need a new phone".

Personally, I get almost all the support I need right here in these forums. My knowledge and understanding of my device has grown amazingly just from spending time reading through the posts, and it should be mandatory reading for all customer service technicians.

The bottom line: CRACKBERRY ROCKS

the tech was a little helpful, i did try to download the software and install it thru the device manager but i was having some issues with certain errors that were popping up, an rather then ruin it or make it worse i just figured sprint would be the best place to go. im not nuts about getting a new one, im hoping its in good shape an not a refurvished one or whateva cuz if it gives me issues there will be some major ANGER goin on hahah
    06-14-09 06:26 PM
    More than likely it'll be a refrub. but you shouldn't be able to tell the difference from new and it will come with a warranty, so you really shouldn't worry.

06-14-09 06:37 PM
    Whenever my phone states that I entered the password incorrectly (ie password attempts 2/10) I just hit the back button/arrow and the password attempts never increase. Just dont click ok when u enter a wrong password, click the back button/arrow.
    06-14-09 08:36 PM
    Sprint is never helpful. I am sure that your phone could have been brought back (brought mine back a few times) he just didn't know how to do it. When I had sprint I always knew more than the people in the stores. They would always say "well have you tried a battery pull?". That was their answer to everything for my blackberry. The first time I took my curve to them for a problem they ordered me a new one when,come to find out, all I had to do was delete all my sms. That would have solved my entire problem. Didn't need a new one.

Anyway, glad you are getting a new one.

06-14-09 09:18 PM
    I'm glad to read this thread. Got my curve 3 days ago and planning to put password. I'm worries with same scenario like happen to TS

I am totally the type of person who would forget as well, but I worry about privacy/safety, too. Sorry OP!
    06-14-09 09:39 PM
    Whenever my phone states that I entered the password incorrectly (ie password attempts 2/10) I just hit the back button/arrow and the password attempts never increase. Just dont click ok when u enter a wrong password, click the back button/arrow.

Really? Wow Good piece of advice just a bit too late haha

now i just will be afraid of putting any passwords, its kinda like a bad feelin thing now, like PASSWORDS OH NO !!!! haha
    06-15-09 12:16 AM
    I love the password feature...
    06-15-09 05:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD