Okay...when you install (download OTA) a new program, there is a checkbox that says "Set application permissions".

What is "set application permissions" for?

Thank you!
    03-19-08 10:03 PM
    You can set the app to allow or deny certain actions that the app can take.
    03-19-08 10:05 PM
    Okay...when you install (download OTA) a new program, there is a checkbox that says "Set application permissions".

What is "set application permissions" for?

Thank you!
    I always wondered that myself. I just always ignored it because I didn't know what it meant. Not sure I do yet even after Suncasts's response. I guess I need an example of what I would need to allow an application to do.
    03-19-08 10:08 PM
    Most apps default all permissions to allow.
    03-19-08 10:24 PM
    Also, you may have the firewall switched-on (a good idea regardless) and your device is asking for permission to connect to the Internet... Most applications set the permissions automatically however.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-08 04:44 AM
    Oh hang, I read your (partially) question wrong!

The "set application permissions" is for advanced users who want to MANUALLY specify what an application can and can't do - if you ignore this, most applications will automatically configure what they can and can't do, however the "set application permissions" option is there for specifically for advanced users that like to have greater control over their software, for one reason or another...

03-20-08 04:48 AM
    Oh hang, I read your (partially) question wrong!

The "set application permissions" is for advanced users who want to MANUALLY specify what an application can and can't do - if you ignore this, most applications will automatically configure what they can and can't do, however the "set application permissions" option is there for specifically for advanced users that like to have greater control over their software, for one reason or another...

Ahhh.... Never used it, but I figured that's what it was. I download things I trust fully (Google stuff & CB icon)
    03-20-08 05:23 AM
    hey guys - just looking for a clarification

so basically, a novice like me should NOT have that box checked, correct?
    and this will keep me 'safe' as long as i download 'reputable' sites/programs?

please correct me
    07-21-09 11:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD