I am having two problems with my Curve. First of all the media manager software keeps asking me to turn on Mass Media Management when it is clearly already on, hence I can't put anything on my 2 GB memory card. Also, my phone is telling me that it can't access anything off of the card because it is not formatted, but when I click the "format card" button is always fails to format and gives me the "Media Card Format Failed" message. Anyone else get this? Thanks!
    11-26-07 03:34 PM
    If you have a memory card reader try formatting it outside of the phone and then installing the meory card. If not try pulling the batter on the bb and then try to format it again. If neither of those options work, you might have a bad memory card.
    11-26-07 04:26 PM
    tried both solutions; neither works. do NOT have a bad media card- cant even format a new medi card with my curve 8330.
    next solution ?
    thanx
    03-08-09 09:33 PM
    This is strange...if you formatted the card outside of the BB it should be ok. Surprised battery pull didn't work either.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-08-09 10:35 PM
    is there a way to format these cards with desktop manager ?
    not sure how to format them with the computer.
    when i insert the micro card into the computer it attempts to format them but then locks up. happens with both old 4 gig card and new 8 gig one.
    03-08-09 10:49 PM
    is there a way to format these cards with desktop manager ?
    not sure how to format them with the computer.
    when i insert the micro card into the computer it attempts to format them but then locks up. happens with both old 4 gig card and new 8 gig one.

Let me see if I follow you thus far.

When you insert the card in the computer it locks up? Is this before or after the Blackberry?

I'm trying to figure out if in fact the card worked before inserting it into the Blackberry. Did you try writing to it before it went into the phone the first time?

I don't understand how the PC won't format it. What OS are you using on your PC? On my PC it pops up as a drive in My Computer (WinXP) and then I right click and select format.

If the PC won't format it then the card is either damaged or "jammed" somehow by the Blackberry and then a PC format would fix it. I am not aware of a way to format through either Desktop Manager or Media Manager.

Very strange indeed...
    03-08-09 11:20 PM
    Let me see if I follow you thus far.

When you insert the card in the computer it locks up? Is this before or after the Blackberry?

see below for the details

<<<see below>>>>

I'm trying to figure out if in fact the card worked before inserting it into the Blackberry. Did you try writing to it before it went into the phone the first time?

<<<4 gig card has worked flawlessly for months in curve 8830 until today. got error message saying it could not be read. please format it. wont format in blackberry, nor will brand new sandisk (both are sandisk) 8 gig.>>>

I don't understand how the PC won't format it. What OS are you using on your PC? On my PC it pops up as a drive in My Computer (WinXP) and then I right click and select format.

<<windows vista. when it pops up as a drive i try to format it. quick format doesnt work. full format seems to hang too (after 30-45 minutes of nothing happening i pull the process.) the format window tries to tellme there's over a terrabyte of memory on theese cards-that seems weird too.>>

If the PC won't format it then the card is either damaged or "jammed" somehow by the Blackberry and then a PC format would fix it. I am not aware of a way to format through either Desktop Manager or Media Manager.

<<thought there was through a submenue on "options " in DM somewhere, per someone else on this forum i ran across today but i cannot find a way to format thru DM>>

very very frustrating. what would be next option ? rim tech support ? hard to belvie a brand new card wont work. am older 2 gig card seems to be functioning well in the curve but i wantmore memory.
    thanx

Very strange indeed...[/QUOTE]
    03-08-09 11:31 PM
    I was just reading about write protection on Micro SD Cards.

Very good read. I am not sure if I can post links but I can PM it to you if you want. It seems using the adapter and placing the switch in the middle (not on or off) seemed to help this one user.

I bought a 4gb tonight and placed it in the phone with no problems.
    gts02 likes this.
    03-08-09 11:55 PM
    thanx.
    not sure what "pm" me is but please email me the link.
    [email protected].
    03-09-09 05:01 AM
    If a pc will not format the card, the card is bad. End of story

03-09-09 03:44 PM
    Just a thought... you say that the phone freezes when you try to format the card?? I had the same problem with mine. I bought a curve 8300 from ebay. Everything working perfectly except the memory card reader. I went into media> options> explore> device memory> and clkicked on show hidden. Up popped"tmp".
    As soon as I did that media card formatted. Now I don't know if it was relevant to my problem in any way but it has worked fine since.
    03-09-09 04:18 PM
    Try formatting the card in another BB, or use another computer or a card reader. If you still can't see it using another device, or if somebody elses card works ok in your phone, its gotta be the card. Change up any one of the variables and there ya go. Good luck!

03-09-09 07:27 PM
    If a pc will not format the card, the card is bad. End of story

postscript : had the device examined by Verizon tech who as i thought, found nothing wrong with it. we successfully reformatted an old 2 gig sc microcard. bought ANOTHER brand new 8 gig card sandisk microsd- worked flawlessly from the get go , NO FORMATTING needed.
    problem solved !
    not sure why my old 4 gig card went bad suddenly, or why the FIRST new 8 gig card would not format at all ?
    thanx for all the help !
    03-09-09 11:13 PM
    At least you got an answer!

Well done!
    03-09-09 11:17 PM
    same problem - refused to believe it was the 2Gb kingston card as had formatted it on my pc ok. BB pearl not interested. Had a new handset - still not interested. Checked back in PC and no card detected! new one ordered. Good job they are cheap now!
    08-06-09 04:14 AM
    I'm having the same error reading "media card format failed". I have tried 2 different media cards, same message. I put one of my cards in my friend's BB and it works fine??? When I put it back in mine, same msg..."media card format failed". Any ideas? I tried removing battery several times...
    06-15-10 05:45 PM
    You guys need to follow RIMs lead and use only Sandisk cards. That is what came in my curve and when I upgraded the media card I bought Sandisk, popped it in and did not need to format. It has worked fine the whole time, over 6 mos.

06-15-10 08:32 PM
    well im here to say.. that its blackberrys in general... the desktop software sucks... its basically bricked... 2 16 gig micro sd cards.... if i got all this thread correctly im having the same issue as chaunce88 both sd cards i have are scandisk.... ive only had my blackberry torch for 3 months... and went thru the same with my blackberry pearl before that... with a 8 gig scan disk card.... so RIM what gives... im really pisst about this... dismounting the drive everytime.. should make it so it does not corrupt the data ... im thinking is has somthing to do with... blackberrys jus cant handle mass storage... cuz nething under 4 gigs... works absolutely fine... over that... iono...
    08-26-11 03:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD