I have the at&t magenta curve running 4.2.2.170(platform 2.5.0.30) and want an upgrade pretty bad but scared to because of heard reports of problems received while and after updates. If anyone out there can direct me to a good upgrade link and list the pros and cons of upgrading it would be great. Thanks again in advance
    04-27-09 08:27 PM
    Use the upgrade links stickied at the top of the forum.

You should be okay as long as you read, understand, and FOLLOW all of the instructions EXACTLY.

Go slowly. And most of all, whatever you do, do NOT be tempted to disconnect the device from the computer before it finishes. Even if it looks like it has stopped for a long time.

Also, even though the upgrade process should create an automatic backup, do a full backup before you start the update process. And be sure to read and follow the instructions for backing up your third party applications before you start the upgrade process.

If you upgrade to 4.5, you will get video capability, an upgraded media player, an upgraded internet browser, and you will get HTML email, and Documents to Go Basic edition.
    04-27-09 08:50 PM
    yea listen to mama! i was actually pretty nervous about my first os upgrade. it took my second curve (first at&t, now verizon) to get the guts to just do it.

it actually was easier than i thought it would be...i just followed the following link and took it nice and slow, and its been going well so far. no complaints with the upgrade at all

How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) with AppLoader | CrackBerry.com
    04-27-09 09:07 PM
    I upgraded mine too just a couple weeks after I got it. I was pretty nervous because I always seem to mess things like that up but I was experiencing speaker blast and to me, the benefits outweighed the risk. I followed the instructions exactly and it went perfectly, plus it solved my speaker problem.

Considering your current OS, you will benefit a LOT by doing an upgrade. I say go for it!! And good luck!
    Last edited by mojo pin; 04-27-09 at 09:44 PM.
    04-27-09 09:08 PM
    I remember the first time I did an upgrade I was a little nervous too. As long as you make sure you follow the instructions step by step you will be fine. It's really not that hard to be honest with you. Take what MM said to heart though about not unplugging it until it's finished. As always if you have any additional questions or concerns post them here. Good luck...
    04-27-09 09:16 PM
    If you do a full backup, you should be fine regardless of what happens. There was a blog post not too long ago about how to revert to an older OS if something goes wrong:

http://crackberry.com/how-downgrade-...erating-system

Personally, I'm glad I upgraded my 8320 to OS 4.5.0.81. It's hardly the freshest one out there now, but it's been working well enough that I have little incentive to upgrade to a newer build. The better fonts, media player and video camera were among the attractions that drew me to 4.5.
    04-27-09 09:33 PM
    Thank you very much. Hopefully this solves my other bb os issues.
    04-27-09 09:58 PM
    If you're nervous about it, just upgrade to the officially released version from ATT, 4.5.0.152...you can get it directly from the BB site.
    04-27-09 10:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD