what up 8330 users!!! I wanted to clear up some confusion/ questions about what kind of memory card to purchase. Some of us have asked about in other threads on how many gb's can our phone take / or what is the best card to get. well i just purchase and place the sandisk 8gb sdhc in my 8330 curve. Let me tell you that it works fine. Im still using the 4.3 XXXX version OS. I've notice that i have a slight better battery life and some better response time through apps. I know that will change eventually when i start to put and save things into the card. The card was pick up right away from the devise and that was it.

As for the cons: I check the status of the card right away and it gave me a total of 7.6 GB's. Meaning what happen to my other remaining 4 gb's? I have 7.4 gb of free space left. Do i have to format anything to get the full 8 gb's onto my phone. If anybody else experience this , and knows what to do . Please share.

Overall im happy with it. Im able to save lots of pics and music and not worry about space being an issue. It came with a micro reader which is easier to transfer files to multiple computers. I totally recommend this memory card and can be purchase here at the CB store.

Make sure if you save music onto your phone, its in a MP3 format. Anything else like wma will take alot of space.

here a pic of my disk:
    Last edited by sematicracer; 11-09-08 at 03:27 PM.
    11-09-08 03:24 PM
    There will always be a small used by the card. You will never get it all. I have 2GB card and only 1.8 on it
    Last edited by lastraid; 11-09-08 at 03:45 PM.
    11-09-08 03:30 PM
    Fellow addicts, I just ordered a Sandisk SDHC 8GB card from amazon.com for $25 including shipping. It's the best price I could find and I've always had a good experience with amazon.
    11-09-08 04:20 PM
    once you upgrade to the 4.5 Os from verizon you can use up to 16Gb. Just recieved my card and the space rocks. But no matter what drive you get be it a media card or hd the OS doesnt allow you to use the total amount. 7.4 or so sounds about right.
    11-09-08 04:35 PM
    When you format your card, that is where the rest of your memory is. It takes that much to format it.
    And you didn't lose 4 gig. you just lost .4, which is next to nothing.
    Last edited by jakelll; 11-09-08 at 05:10 PM.
    11-09-08 05:07 PM
    Actually, the 4.5.77 from Verizon will not support a 16GB card.

Here's the information directly from BlackBerry's website.

Supported microSD media card sizes

The following table lists BlackBerry Device Software versions and the supported media card size.
    BlackBerry Device Software Media Card Size Limit
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.0 Up to 2 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.1 Up to 4 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2 Up to 4 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.3.0 Up to 8 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.5.0 Up to 8 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.5.0.81 and later Up to 16 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.6.0 and later Up to 32 GB
    11-09-08 05:45 PM
    The card should also not noticably affect bettery life, for better or worse, except in so much as it changes how you use the device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-08 06:54 PM
    When you format your card, that is where the rest of your memory is. It takes that much to format it.
    And you didn't lose 4 gig. you just lost .4, which is next to nothing.
    Your right , I don't know why i said that. Good looking out. I never formatted it. i just place it in , put the battery in, and watch it load up. Few minutes later i was taking pics and storing music. At first My DM was acting up when i plugged it in. I was like awww great. I unplugged everything, restarted my computer, and everything work fine after that. Do i still have to format it?
    11-10-08 02:42 AM
    You don't necessarily to format the card, since now almost every card has been formated before being shipped.

But you re-format the card on BB won't hurt anything.

For the losted .4G space, because every disk (no matter HDD or Flash Disk) has to store the physical momery location table data on itsself so that you can retrieve the stored information, that's also why the bigger space the card has, the bigger the "losted" space will be.
    Last edited by wanted-man; 11-10-08 at 02:58 AM.
    11-10-08 02:54 AM
    Newegg.com - Kingston 8GB Micro SDHC Mobility Multi Kit Model MBLY/8GB - Flash Memory
    Kingston 8 Gb card for $23. FYI.

Here's the reason that disks (hard drives as well as flash based media) show less capacity than you purchased.

Hard disk drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Most operating-system tools report capacity using the same abbreviations but actually use binary prefixes. For instance, the prefix mega-, which normally means 106 (1,000,000), in the context of data storage can mean 220 (1,048,576), which is nearly 5% more. Similar usage has been applied to prefixes of greater magnitude. This results in a discrepancy between the disk manufacturer's stated capacity and the apparent capacity of the drive when examined through most operating-system tools. The difference becomes even more noticeable for a gigabyte (7%), and again for a terabyte (9%). For a petabyte there is a 11% difference between the SI (10005) and binary (10245) definitions. For example, Microsoft Windows reports disk capacity both in decimal-based units to 12 or more significant digits and with binary-based units to three significant digits. Thus a disk specified by a disk manufacturer as a 30 GB disk might have its capacity reported by Windows 2000 both as "30,065,098,568 bytes" and "28.0 GB". The disk manufacturer used the SI definition of "giga", 109 to arrive at 30 GB; however, because Microsoft Windows, Mac OS and some Linux distributions use "gigabyte" for 1,073,741,824 bytes (230 bytes), the operating system reports capacity of the disk drive as (only) 28.0 GB.

Here's another (prolly better) explanation.
    Hard drive space usage distribution
    11-10-08 03:27 AM
    nice find justplainjef
    i think i might order that wen i get home
    11-10-08 07:18 AM
    Just a quick lesson in Advertised Drive Size and actual drive size.

When you purchase a drive or memory card, if it is advertised as having 8GB, that is due to the manufacturers sizing them going by 10s, where computers use 8s. I know this sounds weird, but here is a better explanation.

When you receive a 8GB card, the Manufacturer has 8,000,000,000 Bytes on it, the problem is is that most computers count it from bits to bytes.

So while the HD manufacturers see a kB as 1,000 bytes, the computer knows a kB to be 1,024bytes.

That explains why you have an 8GB card and only get a little over 7GB available.

I hope I didn't confuse anyone.
    11-10-08 07:31 AM
    You don't necessarily to format the card, since now almost every card has been formated before being shipped.

But you re-format the card on BB won't hurt anything.

For the losted .4G space, because every disk (no matter HDD or Flash Disk) has to store the physical momery location table data on itsself so that you can retrieve the stored information, that's also why the bigger space the card has, the bigger the "losted" space will be.
    thanks for the info.
    11-11-08 12:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD