I have a friend with a curve that wants to display Russian text characters on his phone. He is running 4.5.0.77 and from what he told me, he can only see french and spanish support from the application loader window. Is there a way to get the phone to display and use Russian characters? thank you!
    11-17-08 04:17 PM
    The Curve can certainly display Russian characters and can also write Russian text. The Handset software is available in a Multilanguage version, which can be downloaded from the RIM site. When this is installed, you have a vast range of languages to choose from. Select Russian language and it will display properly.
    Since the handset does not have a keyboard with both Latin and Russian characters, it is best to use the American Russian keyboard layout, whic is phonetic. To select this you need to press at the same time Alt and Return and you get the keyboard selection screen. Select Russian American keyboard and you are typing in Russian. Since Russian has more letter than English, some keys serve to type two or three letters and the handheld offers you to choose the one you want, when you press the appropriate key.

Mikhail.
    03-21-09 04:57 PM
    Mikhail,

You sound quite knowledgeable about Russian support on BBs. I am therefore addressing my question to you hoping you will be able to help me too and save me some time on internet browsing.
    I have had BB Stork for about a month now. At first I was shocked by the phone. It looked like BB put out a half-finished product. Orientation jumping back and forth, slugging performance, etc. However, there is something fascinating about the device so I tried to be patient. The more I am using it, the more I get to like it. Especially since I upgraded to OS v.4.7.0.132 which noticeably improved performance. At this time, I think I opt for my Storm over the Iphone (which I also have). Storm looks like a more serious device compared to the Iphone which is more like a toy, although a very cute one, granted. Anyway, to cut the long story short. One big gripe I have with the BB people is that their customer support is almost non-existent. People like you do more good for their company then they do themselves. Maybe it is because they carved themselves a nice niche in the business community and are sitting pretty. I can understand why Russian support is so difficult to find. BB started selling their devices in Russia only recently and then only older models. Do you know where I can get Russian support for BB storm? Since it is a software-based solution, it should not be a problem to run. Just knowing that exists and finding it is key. And of course compatibility. I would really appreciate if you could send me a link my way.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon and thanks in advance.

Sergei
    05-03-09 07:55 AM
    HI Sergei - did u find out smth. about how to get russian font on your device in order to write for example text messages in russian?
    thank u for your answer
    09-26-09 03:30 AM
    Yes. I have a bunch of file that you need to upload to your device. Once done, this allows you to type in Russian in your email messages. There is a glitch with SMS messages. The Russian keyboard does not display Russian characters. If you need a zip with the files and instructions on how to install, send me a private message.

Best.
    12-04-09 12:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD