Okay, so maybe I'm just an *****, but after having read through the Blackberry 101's to figure out how to download ringtones that are NOT those awful electronic sounding tones found on the phone, and following the tutorials step by step using Media Manager and the desktop, I still can't get the two ringtones to show up on the actual phone. I can see them in desktop manager and show them both on the media card in my phone and one of them in the phone's memory, but when I browse through the ringtones they don't show up. I assume this means that they can't be used on the phone, but I did one of these ringtones for a friend and I can't get it to her if I can't get it in my phone. What, if anything, am I doing wrong? So far, this is the only issue I have with this phone is the lousy ringtones provided, even when you buy them, and the inability to get the phone to actually use the ringtones specified for each caller. Oh, and I've also tried emailing them to myself and the phone says that "You are about to download a file that cannot be viewed on your Blackberry device. Continue?"

Help?
    02-21-09 10:53 AM
    Well, this should be a relatively easy fix and it is probably just a problem in how you are making the ringtone or where on your memory card you are putting it.

First, and I'm not trying to be insulting, but you are putting the ringtone in the Blackberry\ringtones folder on your memory card right? If yes read below, if no put the ringtones in that folder.

Second, what type of file is the ringtone (.wav, .mp3, .mp4, .m4a, etc.)? I don't think you can use .wav's or I've screwed something up becuase I've only been able to use .mp3's successfully. I've also have .m4a's corrupt on me.

Third, can you view other files on your memory card (pictures, videos, other music) from your blackberry? If yes, then there is a specific problem with your ringtones; if no, then there is an issue with your memory card - read below.

Fourth, have you formatted your memory card? Mine didn't need to be, but some do.

Fifth, have you tried a battery pull or anything else (reinstalling the OS, etc.)?
    That's all I can think of for now. Perhaps others will have some ideas as well.
    02-21-09 11:41 AM
    If you have internet on your blackberry. You can go to myxertones.com or funformobile.com from your bb browser and download ringtones straight to the phone.
    02-21-09 11:44 AM
    You can also try zedge.net. A nice site for tones as well as other things (sent directly over or the ability to just download to your pc). I would format the card first and use mass storage mode if the files are already on the desktop for instance to slide them over to the bb.
    02-21-09 11:47 AM
    The user-submitted ringtones section here on crackberry probably has some good stuff too.
    02-21-09 11:52 AM
    Thank you all for your good suggestions: I can't get the ringtones from my desktop media manager, where I can see them, to the memory card in the phone. This is even though the phone is connected to the computer, and I can see the ringtones when looking on the computer under the blackberry media card...when I disconnect the phone and look on the media card, no ringtones. The files are mp4s made from ITunes and I'm thinking that is most likely the problem. I tried Myxertones, but couldn't find the specific song a friend of mine wants, that's why I went to ITunes, which of course let's me buy the ringtones but won't let me download them (I know, my bad). There are other files on my memory card that I can see, along with the full length versions of the ringtones. I don't think my memory card needed to be formatted....it was installed when I bought the phone and has worked for pictures and music and ringtones from other blackberry-friendly sites. If I pull the battery will I lose what's already on the media card (stupid question?). Mass storage mode is on on media card already and I slid the music onto the media card using that method already...easily done.

Just frustrated at this issue, that's all.
    02-21-09 01:25 PM
    Was the song purchased on iTuens? Isn't when they are purchased they are copyright protected!
    02-21-09 01:47 PM
    iTunes is your problem. Other than that it sounds like everything is working as it should in terms of your memory card. If you can find a version of the song without the DRM (digital rights management a.k.a. copy protection) on it you'll be good to go.
    02-21-09 02:58 PM
    After having ruled everything else out, it does seem that ITunes is the reason. How convenient that you can buy ringtones from them, but can't actually use them in any way. A lesson learned......
    02-21-09 07:27 PM
    I sync'd my music from Windows Media Player and moved it onto my phone. I can see all of the songs under music in the media folder' I can play then and I can pick one song and have it as my main ringtone. My question is how do I pick specific songs for each person, alarm, texts???

Is there a way to move the songs from the music folder into the ringtone folder so that I can pick them??

Thanks
    02-21-09 08:46 PM
    The easiest way to move the files to the ringtones folder would be to cut and paste them while the bb is connected to the computer (like moving files on a flash drive, which is essentially what the memory card is). To pick a specific song for a person you have to go into your contacts and edit the contact and then at the bottom (or by hitting the menu button) there should be an option/field for custom ring tone where you can pick one of your ringtones.
    02-22-09 12:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD