I know how to assign different ringtones to different groups of callers, etc.....Question....How do I assign a specific ringtone for 'unknown' callers....if at all possible
    12-21-08 01:09 PM
    I dont think thats possible, not natively anyways, there *may* be a 3rd party app, however, I really dont know
    12-21-08 01:10 PM
    That's what I thought,,,,but what a great feature that would be,,,,,
    12-21-08 01:13 PM
    Hmmm, maybe, Im kinda on the fence about it, I dont answer my unknown # calls, so different ringtone or not, still wont make me change my habit, and I always check the caller ID too.. so no biggie, but I understand how and why some would like it
    12-21-08 01:16 PM
    See, alot of my buddies are cops and their numbers are all private, so i gotta answer when i see it, could be important...
    12-21-08 01:18 PM
    Yeh, but if one of the #'s leaves a VM, Ill check it right away, if not, no talkie to rachey LOL
    12-21-08 01:20 PM
    Right on, i used to be the same way...
    12-21-08 01:22 PM
    That's what I thought,,,,but what a great feature that would be,,,,,
    Had that ability in WinMo on my Treo. One of the features I miss. That and vibrate and ring together.
    12-21-08 01:24 PM
    Had that ability in WinMo on my Treo. One of the features I miss. That and vibrate and ring together.
    Vibandring - 3rd party app, LOVE it.
    12-21-08 01:25 PM
    Vibandring - 3rd party app, LOVE it.
    I can live without it until RIM decides to add it natively.
    12-21-08 01:28 PM
    Here's a stopgap measure: make a new exception that has a custom ringtone and add everyone whose number you have. Then all callers not in your address book (including unknown callers) will have a different ringtone.

Here are step-by-step instructions:
    Menu -> New Exception
    Go to From: and click Menu -> Add Name, click on a name, and repeat for everyone you want to have this ringtone (probably everyone in your phone book)

Then set Use Profile: to Active Profile and Custom Phone Tune to whatever you want (make sure the box is checked). Then menu -> save

The ringtone for everyone you didn't add can be set if you go to whatever profile is in bold and click menu -> edit and click Phone.

It might seem confusing, but it's really not.
    12-21-08 10:25 PM
    just a thought.... but how about giving EVERYONE a specific ringtone, and the unknown caller would be the default you choose, right?
    12-22-08 04:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD