I'm in need of going back to an older OS on my 8320. I have tried doing a wipe and then re-installing the old OS, but when it was done I still had the new OS on my BB. Anyone have any ideas?
    07-09-08 05:18 PM
    First, you need to uninstall the other OSes from your PC.

Go into Control Panel > Add/Remove programs and remove all RIM OSes!!

Once that is done, backup with DesktopManager... install the OS you want on your Berry, delete vendor.xml, wipe handheld, load OS with DM, restore from backup... good to go

Hope that helps!!
    07-09-08 05:20 PM
    I did that. It didn't work.

When I wiped my BB, it didn't seem to get rid of anything. All of my third party apps were still there when it started back up. I went to Security Options then General Options and clicked on the menu button and selected Wipe Device. Is there a different way that I don't know about that will do a complete wipe?
    Last edited by the.question; 07-09-08 at 05:25 PM.
    07-09-08 05:22 PM
    Did you delete the vendor.xml??

You removed all of the older OS versions??

After you wipe the handheld you should be able to install the older OS just as normal... (you got it from your carrier... TMo, right?)
    07-09-08 05:23 PM
    Yes, I deleted vendor.xml and got the OS I needed right from the TMo site..
    07-09-08 05:26 PM
    I did that. It didn't work.

When I wiped my BB, it didn't seem to get rid of anything. All of my third party apps were still there when it started back up. I went to Security Options then General Options and clicked on the menu button and selected Wipe Device. Is there a different way that I don't know about that will do a complete wipe?
    yeah, what you did is not a complete wipe. too many people here use terms interchangeably, leading ultimately to confusion.

you basically wiped the device of any personal information.

you need to delete the handheld operating system, which can be done with a tool called Jl_Cmder. once used to wipe the OS off the handheld, the device will reboot to a "JVC 507" error screen, which means there is no OS installed.

from there, install the desired OS package into your computer after uninstalling any other handheld OS's. you may then use the application loader to reload the old OS onto the device.

you can use application loader directly by going to program files > common files > research in motion > apploader > apploader.exe
    07-09-08 05:40 PM
    I managed to get the BB wiped, but the Desktop Manager is not giving me the option to install the OS back on my BB.
    07-09-08 06:51 PM
    I managed to get the BB wiped, but the Desktop Manager is not giving me the option to install the OS back on my BB.
    follow what i said to do in the very last line.
    07-09-08 06:52 PM
    IF OS is installed to PC, plug into DM and click on app loader.
    07-09-08 06:54 PM
    OK. I have everything back up and running. Everything but the WiFi. I can't seem to get connected. I'm still looking into that problem.
    07-09-08 08:45 PM
    OK. I have everything back up and running. Everything but the WiFi. I can't seem to get connected. I'm still looking into that problem.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f33/uma...d-8820-a-7574/

probably needs the root and trust certificates. this happens rarely, but enough to warrant attention... but doesnt get any since it deals with betas.

i know it says "8820", but the curve and the UMA calling is identical.
    07-09-08 08:49 PM
    Thanks oakie! That did the trick.

Also thanks to bmcclure937 and Garz for your help.
    07-09-08 09:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD