Hello all. After years of waiting and wondering, I finally took the plunge and got myself a used BlackBerry 8320 on eBay two days ago. This is my first BB and I was very excited. The phone was from T-Mobile and locked. But I want to use it with my AT&T account. Thankfully, I also have a T-Mobile (prepaid) SIM card lying around in my house so I popped it into the phone and it works perfectly. I upgraded the device software to the latest version (v4.5) and it went smoothly without any problem. I then chatted with T-Mobile reps online and got the unlock code to unlock my phone. It also went prefect. Now, I can pop my AT&T SIM card into the phone and make calls without any problem. So far�so good.

But then here come a problem�every time I power up the phone, I will get this text message saying,

�453 error invalid number. please resend using a valid 10 digit mobile number or valid short code��

Does anyone know who to fix this problem?

Well�I search high and low on the web trying to find a fix for this problem but not much luck so far. Some people suggest this has to do with T-Mobile�s �MyFav� function. The phone will contact T-Mobile during power up to get the info. But since I am using my ATT SIM card, obviously T-Mobile will reject the request and sent the text to me with that error message. If that�s the case, is there a way to stop it?

Please note, I am a newbie to this whole �smart phone� thing. I don�t have any text or data plan with both AT&T and T-Mobile. So every time I received a text will cost me $0.15 or so. I don�t text and I don�t download stuffs on phone. I just need a phone to better organize my contacts, schedule and maybe emails.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you all.
    05-14-09 10:26 AM
    I did search for solution on this forum and came across this following thread.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f68/832...d-number-57295

Duvi's suggestion seems to be worth a shot. But, I do have a question. What OS should I download? Should I use the AT&T version or stick with T-Mobile? (please note, the phone is from T-Mobile originally, but unlocked now)

Thank you all.
    05-14-09 10:32 AM
    Some people suggest this has to do with T-Mobile’s “MyFav” function. The phone will contact T-Mobile during power up to get the info. But since I am using my ATT SIM card, obviously T-Mobile will reject the request ...
    I suspect you are on the right track.

Your AT&T Curve is internally branded to AT&T, that can not be changed despite unlocking the SIM card.

Each carrier provides alternate programs to be loaded on their device. In AT&T case, it is Push to Talk. T-Mobile installes Favorite Five.

It is actually very simple to modify the build process.

The key is a file named BlackBerry.alx, located in your device OS build directory. Open this file with a text editor, Notepad will do the job nicely.

As you view the file, you will see separate code area defined by the carriers band code. T-Mobile code has a prefix of "100", AT&T code has a prefix of "102".

Locate the T-Mobile Favorite Five and edit the "100" to "102".

Save the edited document and start Applications Loader. The inspection step will now detect the missing Favorite Five code and do the install.

05-14-09 10:39 AM
    Make sure to download the 4.6 DM I have heard the 4.7 sucks. But I would stick with the Tmo verison and idk the lates one they have relased or do the leaked one from CB.
    05-14-09 10:41 AM
    I did search for solution on this forum and came across this following thread.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f68/832...d-number-57295

Duvi's suggestion seems to be worth a shot. But, I do have a question. What OS should I download? Should I use the AT&T version or stick with T-Mobile? (please note, the phone is from T-Mobile originally, but unlocked now)

Thank you all.
    I had an unlocked 8320 and they only issue I had was getting OZ Messenger onto the device as it was recognizing it as a T-mobile device that wouldn't be capable of being on the AT&T network.

I would start by backing up your data and doing a soft wipe. (Options --> Security Options --> General Settings --> Menu Key --> Wipe Handheld --> Restore from Backup

If that doesn't work, I would do a hard wipe:

* Back-up your data
    * Download the OS
    * Download JL_CMDER
    * Wipe Device
    * Restore from Backup

Duvi's suggestions are more applicable to loading problems, they do not address the issue of the missing software.

All carrier packages are identical, except for subversion acceptance. It is your internal brand that determines what is installed.
    05-14-09 10:44 AM
    RM, thanks for the quick reply. However, I think you misunderstood my problem. I brought a T-Mobile Curve. I unlocked it, and I am using my ATnT SIM card in it. The error message only occurs when ATnT SIM card is in the phone.

I am sorry, as I mentioned at the beginning, I am a completely newbie to all these BB stuff. I have no idea where to look for that "blackberry.alx" file you mentioned here. Should I look it in the phone or in my computer (Vista Ultimate 64)?

A step-by-step walk through would be very appreciated.

Thanks.
    05-14-09 03:28 PM
    Thanks for the correction, I did have it backwards.

If I understand correctly, your T-Mobile Curve works correctly with a T-Mobile SIM but returns an error with an AT&T SIM.

BlackBerry.alx is the file that controls the install process. Your Curve is internally branded to use T-Mobile options, but your carrier is expecting their options to be installed.

I have examined the file, there are only a couple differences between them:

T-Mobile gets:

<fileset Colour="True" series="8800|8300" Java="1.0" _vendorID="
    100">
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_100_320x240_b.cod
    net_rim_bb_medialoader_100_five_icon_library.cod
    net_rim_tmo_five.cod

</files>
    </fileset>

and AT&T gets:

<fileset Colour="True" Java="1.0" series="8800|8300" _vendorID="102">
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_102a_icon_320x240_b.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <fileset radio="GPRS-WLAN|UMTS-WLAN" series="8800|8100|8300|9000" Java="1.0"
    _vendorID="102">
    <files>
    net_rim_captiveportalclient_att.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>

I have highlighted the differences. We can ignore the themes, but you likely need the captive portal client.

Open Windows Notepad. File / Open and navigate too:

c:\program files (x86)\common files\research in motion\shared\loader files\8320-xxxx

Notepad defaults to .txt files, you have to change the setting too: All Files.

Open BlackBerry.alx and locate each occurance of:

_vendorID="102"

Deleting the first one is optional, but you should delete the second occurance in Red, associated with the Captive Portal Client.

You can also edit the 100, highlighted in Red, to 999. That will prevent the T-Mobile theme and favorite five from being installed.

Save the file and run Applications Loader. It should detect the changes and prompt you to install the missing file.

05-14-09 07:28 PM
    RM, thank you so much. I think I finally got it fixed. No more text and �453 error� this time.

In below, I have documented what I have done. Hopefully it will help other member with similar problem. It�s my little contribution to the board.

1. go to "blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp"
    2. click on �T-Mobile USA�
    3. Select Curve 8320
    4. download Handheld Software (v 4.5.0.81)
    5. after download completed, click on the file and finish the installation
    6. go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8320-v4.5.0.81_P2.7.0.78\
    7. open BlackBerry.alx with Notepad
    8. use Ctrl+F and find �five.cod� (two will be found in this case)
    9. delete all �net_rim_tmo_five.cod� command lines
    10. save the file
    11. run "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\Loader.exe"
    12. follow the step and complete the update

One thing to notice though, maybe it�s just me, but I feel my BB �boot up� time take longer than before I did the update. I hope is nothing I did wrong in above that�s causing it. If I did it wrong, please let me know.
    Again, thank you RM.
    05-14-09 09:43 PM
    Excellent news. That confirms the T-Mobile software was at fault.

The first time it starts after a fresh build, it takes a very long time. Subsequent restarts are typically a minute or so.

05-15-09 11:31 AM
    I have a related question. I also have an 8320 unlo9cked T-Mo that has sim from AT&T/
    I have done all the steps above including deleting the vendor.xml, when the whole re-boot takes place I still have the t.mo splash screen and not as expected the AT&T. I did download the AT&T 4.5. OS and install.
    Am I missing something as I am sure that this phone will return and error 453 as AT&T confirm it is a T-Mo call to locate this phone???
    Thanks.
    02-05-11 11:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD