hi everyone. i'm new here. i bought my first bb in june. i got the red bb curve 8310 from at&t. i love(d) it every much. i have family visiting and staying at my house. my little cousin is quite the early riser and took my phone while i was sleeping and dropped it in the toilet. very very sad! so i called the insurance place and they sent me a new one. got it this morning.. the keypad back light has a red tint to it...and it's very dull. and it is at 100% brightness. so i called the folks back and they're now sending me another one. and i know i can't complain b/c it's a replacement phone and i should just feel happy to not buy a whole new one. but i seriously can't see the keypad very well. (plus i have horrible vision and do not wish to have to put my glasses back on when i get a text or email in the middle of the night)

here's my concern....if this happens again, will i be able to get another one? if so, do you think they will allow me to get a titanium one to lessen the chance of it happening again?

sorry this was so long.
    07-09-08 01:24 PM
    hi everyone. i'm new here. i bought my first bb in june. i got the red bb curve 8310 from at&t. i love(d) it every much. i have family visiting and staying at my house. my little cousin is quite the early riser and took my phone while i was sleeping and dropped it in the toilet. very very sad! so i called the insurance place and they sent me a new one. got it this morning.. the keypad back light has a red tint to it...and it's very dull. and it is at 100% brightness. so i called the folks back and they're now sending me another one. and i know i can't complain b/c it's a replacement phone and i should just feel happy to not buy a whole new one. but i seriously can't see the keypad very well. (plus i have horrible vision and do not wish to have to put my glasses back on when i get a text or email in the middle of the night)

here's my concern....if this happens again, will i be able to get another one? if so, do you think they will allow me to get a titanium one to lessen the chance of it happening again?

sorry this was so long.
    My personal experiences with ATT are all good.......I have three phones with them on my business account......that being said.......call them and ask if they have a titanium refurb........I bet they would be happy to send you one if in fact they have it in stock............good luck.........maybe since it is Summer I should sell water wings for BB's
    07-09-08 01:41 PM
    I just noticed the amount of people that have had water incidents with their BB, I think that every single one of us BB owners should invest in ziplock bags and keep our BB in this wonderful piece of plastic all of the time....lol...

I have an uncle that does this religiously....lol... he is afraid of grease, dirt, natural oil, and airborne germ... yeah I know, what a creep/freak/who knows.

There are also water proof cases just so you know.

Did you attempt the Rice trick before you called to have it replaced? I always opt for solving the problem before having it replaced. I've had similar luck with replacement phones, they just don't seem to be the real deal but function like the real deal.

Its like getting a Blackberry and then getting a Blackberrie as a replacement. Looks and feels a bit bootleg.
    07-09-08 01:49 PM
    I just noticed the amount of people that have had water incidents with their BB, I think that every single one of us BB owners should invest in ziplock bags and keep our BB in this wonderful piece of plastic all of the time....lol...

I have an uncle that does this religiously....lol... he is afraid of grease, dirt, natural oil, and airborne germ... yeah I know, what a creep/freak/who knows.

There are also water proof cases just so you know.

Did you attempt the Rice trick before you called to have it replaced? I always opt for solving the problem before having it replaced. I've had similar luck with replacement phones, they just don't seem to be the real deal but function like the real deal.

Its like getting a Blackberry and then getting a Blackberrie as a replacement. Looks and feels a bit bootleg.

wonder if condoms come in BB size............
    07-09-08 01:50 PM
    Welcome to CB.......it might just be a problem with the light sensor on that particular refurb.
    07-09-08 01:51 PM
    I do not think that they will limit your replacements because you have to pay the $50.00 fee everytime it is replaced.

I have a sister that constantly has her child break her phone and its going on to 23 times she has had it replaced. 23 X $50.00= $1,150 but it seems she doesn't mind it.

I wouldn't worry about it, of course they will allow you to replace your phone everytime it messes up because they are making business out of it and don't want you to take off any features because you are not able to use them.
    07-09-08 01:54 PM
    what? no one has mentioned running it thru a food saver and vacuum sealing one yet?

as for the keypad backlight, sounds like someone previously "modded it" and it never got caught by the refurbers.
    07-09-08 02:06 PM
    what? no one has mentioned running it thru a food saver and vacuum sealing one yet?

as for the keypad backlight, sounds like someone previously "modded it" and it never got caught by the refurbers.

No Oakie, the food saver and vacum will cause for the BB to over heat and you would have to puncture a whole for the charging/synching/whatever else they do with this port. Ziplock is the way to go.

My mom and uncle ziplock all remote controls, as well as other controls (fan, AC, Ipod Dock)

I know it was a joke, just wanted to put it out there, I know someone will try it at home, just wanted people to know of the consequences....lol...
    07-09-08 02:15 PM
    No Oakie, the food saver and vacum will cause for the BB to over heat and you would have to puncture a whole for the charging/synching/whatever else they do with this port. Ziplock is the way to go.

My mom and uncle ziplock all remote controls, as well as other controls (fan, AC, Ipod Dock)

I know it was a joke, just wanted to put it out there, I know someone will try it at home, just wanted people to know of the consequences....lol...
    i didnt like how the ziplock bag would slip around when i got to thumbing quickly.
    07-09-08 02:17 PM
    [morenina] so i did try the whole rice thing. my friend who works at at&t told me about that but it didn't work. i let it air dry also for a day b4 calling. so this was about 2 days without a phone so i just gave in and call for a replacement.
    when i called them about my issue with the replacement, they told me that it would be free of charge...but hey, people lie. so who knows. i'll find out when i get my bill.

[mofo] thanks. if i have the same problems, i will ask for the titanium one with confidence now.lol and if you're selling, i'm buying.
    07-09-08 02:18 PM
    i didnt like how the ziplock bag would slip around when i got to thumbing quickly.

Maybe something magnificent is being manufactured as we speak and will solve this Water incident Epidemic. It will probably be stupid expensive at first them relatively cheap like everything else.

remember when the rezor came out at almost $400.00? Now you can get one for free.....lol....
    07-09-08 02:20 PM
    [morenina] so i did try the whole rice thing. my friend who works at at&t told me about that but it didn't work. i let it air dry also for a day b4 calling. so this was about 2 days without a phone so i just gave in and call for a replacement.
    when i called them about my issue with the replacement, they told me that it would be free of charge...but hey, people lie. so who knows. i'll find out when i get my bill.

[mofo] thanks. if i have the same problems, i will ask for the titanium one with confidence now.lol and if you're selling, i'm buying.
    You get it for free within the first 30 days because of a manufacturer's warranty, after that, its 50 bucks for a replacement if you buy insurance, if not, full price as far as Verizon goes. Your company might be a bit more generous.
    07-09-08 02:22 PM
    That's good to know that AT&T will replace your BB even with a fee. I was kinda ******** out when I could't get insurance for my curve. I guess they make more off the $50.00 replacement fee.
    07-09-08 03:03 PM
    That's good to know that AT&T will replace your BB even with a fee. I was kinda ******** out when I could't get insurance for my curve. I guess they make more off the $50.00 replacement fee.
    no, if you had read correctly, these people said you need the insurance plan.
    07-09-08 03:06 PM
    you do need insurance. of you don't, you will have to pay for it with the whole no commitment pricing, if you chose to get another one.
    07-09-08 03:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD