I am considering returning my Sprint Instinct for a Curve. Due to coverage issues I am limited to using Sprint or Verizon, and prefer Sprint's plans. I have the following dislikes about the Instinct and wonder if the resident Curve guru's can contrast them against the Curve.

1. The Instinct currently can not lock the screen/phone while you are in a call. This is extremely annoying for me as I am used to being able to stick my phone in my pocket and still talk on the headset.

2. The Instinct will not currently sync with Outlook Calander, only contacts. I know BB's do this just fine.

3. When watching streaming TV or listening to streaming music I can not receive calls. I under the impression this is a result of the data network, and not so much the phone? I also understand that the Sprint Curve does not offer the streaming music that the Instinct does.

4. I mistype a lot on the screens QWERTY Keyboard. I think the 'real' keybaord on the Curve might be easier.

I am also curious what Curve guru's might have to say about their web browsing experience. How about TV Viewing?

I note the the 'effective' TV viewing screen on the Instinct is roughly the same size as the BB Pearl's screen. This is due the that fact that the Instinct is basically "Wide Screen" and the TV shows available are broadcast/streamed to the phone in the 'standard' screen size. Does the TV stream to the BB fill the entire screen?

Thanks for any help,

Alon
    07-06-08 02:16 PM
    bump, any advice?
    07-07-08 12:59 PM
    I am considering returning my Sprint Instinct for a Curve. Due to coverage issues I am limited to using Sprint or Verizon, and prefer Sprint's plans. I have the following dislikes about the Instinct and wonder if the resident Curve guru's can contrast them against the Curve.

1. The Instinct currently can not lock the screen/phone while you are in a call. This is extremely annoying for me as I am used to being able to stick my phone in my pocket and still talk on the headset.

2. The Instinct will not currently sync with Outlook Calander, only contacts. I know BB's do this just fine.

3. When watching streaming TV or listening to streaming music I can not receive calls. I under the impression this is a result of the data network, and not so much the phone? I also understand that the Sprint Curve does not offer the streaming music that the Instinct does.

4. I mistype a lot on the screens QWERTY Keyboard. I think the 'real' keybaord on the Curve might be easier.

I am also curious what Curve guru's might have to say about their web browsing experience. How about TV Viewing?

I note the the 'effective' TV viewing screen on the Instinct is roughly the same size as the BB Pearl's screen. This is due the that fact that the Instinct is basically "Wide Screen" and the TV shows available are broadcast/streamed to the phone in the 'standard' screen size. Does the TV stream to the BB fill the entire screen?

Thanks for any help,

Alon

1. i'm not sure, as i don't use a headset, but my guess is yes as there is a lock command.

2. it will sync with outlook calendar

3. while streaming videos from the internet you can receive calls, though i'm not sure about streaming TV as i don't seem to have this capability on my vzw curve.

4. the real keyboard will always squash a virtual one.

5. i don't know the rest of your tv related questions, again because i don't watch tv on my phone.

hope this helps
    07-07-08 02:02 PM
    Calls come through just fine when streaming TV or music on my Curve. Not sure about the channel line up though.

The image does take up the entire screen size of the curve.
    07-07-08 04:20 PM
    touch screen alone just sucks end of story. youll love the curve and never want to use another brand of phone again. there isnt anything it cant do.

wait that should be your question. what can't the BB curve do?

1. cook your dinner (can order out though)
    2. wash your car.
    3. do your laundry
    4. pay your bills (wait yes it can)
    4. drive you to work
    5. walk the dog.

you will get the same coverage on sprint as you would with verizon for the most part.
    07-07-08 04:41 PM
    touch screen alone just sucks end of story. youll love the curve and never want to use another brand of phone again. there isnt anything it cant do.

2. wash your car.
    3. do your laundry
    4. drive you to work
    5. walk the dog.

you will get the same coverage on sprint as you would with verizon for the most part.
    With GPS they can drive you to work
    07-07-08 04:43 PM

2. wash your car.
    3. do your laundry
    4. drive you to work
    5. walk the dog.

AGREED!!!! Touch screen sucks.....I had an IPHONE for a year and HATED it....it is rudimentary at best for texting.......I will NEVER stray from RIMming again..........the Curve is marvelous.........
    07-07-08 04:45 PM
    Calls come through just fine when streaming TV or music on my Curve. Not sure about the channel line up though.

Brinky,
    The image does take up the entire screen size of the curve.
    Which carrier are you with? Can anyone confirm if this is function of the network or the phone?

Alon
    Last edited by AlonFW; 07-07-08 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Typo
    07-07-08 06:14 PM
    Which carrier are you with? Can anyone confirm if this is function of the network or the phone?

Alon
    Sprint.

My guess is that it is the network. The data uses the EVDO network while the voice uses the standard 1x network. (Again I am guessing) So you can do both. I used to use a Treo on verizon that only used 1x and I could never get calls while I was using the data network (like using verichat) so I had to get rid of it. Once they came out with there EVDO network/phones things were much better. Not sure why the instinct doesn't do this.
    07-07-08 06:20 PM
    I would definitely make the switch. I have tried out my friends instict and absolutely hated it. I felt like it could do nothing that the BB curve can do. Plus the touch screen screen would be the one thing that ultimately made me switch to the curve

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-08 06:42 PM
    Hi i have decided to do the same thing. unfortunatly i cant get the curve since the store doesnt have any in stock till the 15th. Yes the instinct does suck especially with txt. you cant sync your calendar and you cant sync address. that is the main thing and i dont wanna go back to treo since i really liked the navigation on my instinct. and the new treo looks like that girly phone centro and its windows. so no its not happening am moving to getting a curve. i cant wait am counting the days i really hope that its as good as they say. i read the crackberry 101 already. but i have one ?. in calendar, can it repeat something every other week. treo does this but instinct cant.
    07-07-08 08:59 PM
    Hi i have decided to do the same thing. unfortunatly i cant get the curve since the store doesnt have any in stock till the 15th. Yes the instinct does suck especially with txt. you cant sync your calendar and you cant sync address. that is the main thing and i dont wanna go back to treo since i really liked the navigation on my instinct. and the new treo looks like that girly phone centro and its windows. so no its not happening am moving to getting a curve. i cant wait am counting the days i really hope that its as good as they say. i read the crackberry 101 already. but i have one ?. in calendar, can it repeat something every other week. treo does this but instinct cant.
    The curve is better then everyone says once you use one will never want to use anything else.
    You can set daily, weekly, monthly or yearly repeats in the calendar. So it won't do every other week. Best is two appointments that each repeat once a month.

Last edited by brinky; 07-07-08 at 09:08 PM.
    07-07-08 09:05 PM
    Thanks for the quick responce. I was really wondering if it did this. is there a 3rd party software (hint) there should be one since most of work comes from being at one place everyother week. and thats for all my appointments. oh and i cant wait for the 15 im gonna be there at 940 am just so i can be the first one to get the curve since its gonna be a first come first service basis.
    07-07-08 09:26 PM
    Thanks for the quick responce. I was really wondering if it did this. is there a 3rd party software (hint) there should be one since most of work comes from being at one place everyother week. and thats for all my appointments. oh and i cant wait for the 15 im gonna be there at 940 am just so i can be the first one to get the curve since its gonna be a first come first service basis.
    I don't know of any software, but depending on if you plan to sync it with a desktop calendar (outlook, entourage, iCal) that supports every other week repeats that would work. Of couse if you aren't syncing with your desktop not sure what other choices you have.

07-07-08 09:30 PM
    For the record the Instinct can sync contacts, just not calander. That being said I think I will be switching to the curve. Another question though, the Instinct has pretty good voice recognition software for initiating a call or text, how is the Curve in this regard?
    07-08-08 08:42 AM
    For the record the Instinct can sync contacts, just not calander. That being said I think I will be switching to the curve. Another question though, the Instinct has pretty good voice recognition software for initiating a call or text, how is the Curve in this regard?
    The curve comes with voice dialing, but nothing for texts. There is a new piece of software, vlingo that will do text and emails.

Not sure how either one works as I don't use them.
    07-08-08 08:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD