With the memory limitations of the Curve...I want to remove all the unwanted apps that I will never use and that waste precious space. But...I am not a techie at all, and am almost intimidated by the thought of hacking...

Can someone baby-step-tutorial me through the way to remove this AT&T app from my Curve?
    11-26-07 07:49 AM
    If you have the OS loaded on your computer already, then open a command prompt and type these commands, one at a time because your Blackberry will reboot after each one.

javaloader.exe -usb erase -f net_rim_bb_phone_ptt_app.cod
    javaloader.exe -usb erase -f KnJCDE.cod
    11-26-07 08:36 AM
    If you have the OS loaded on your computer already, then open a command prompt and type these commands, one at a time because your Blackberry will reboot after each one.

javaloader.exe -usb erase -f net_rim_bb_phone_ptt_app.cod
    javaloader.exe -usb erase -f KnJCDE.cod

How do I load the OS to my computer? and the javeloader.exe? (do I need to dL this as well?)
    11-26-07 09:20 AM
    Audit you're awesome!!
    I wonder how much more room will I have once I remove the PTT..... anycase its unwanted and not needed by me.
    I will try this later on.
    11-26-07 09:26 AM
    https://www.blackberry.com/SoftwareD...ient=Rc4cZBaBN to download the OS for your Blackberry. Just download the exe and run it. Javaloader.exe is included.
    11-26-07 10:08 AM
    do you have to delete PTT everytime you upgrade your OS?
    11-26-07 10:21 AM
    Yep..........
    11-26-07 11:42 AM
    https://www.blackberry.com/SoftwareD...ient=Rc4cZBaBN to download the OS for your Blackberry. Just download the exe and run it. Javaloader.exe is included.

Thanks, Audit for your help.

Finally removed the PTT app.
    I can't get the javaloader to work on Command Prompt.
    so this is what I did:

1. install the OS ( Again Thank you very much Audit for the links, I have been asking this question since I got the phone and no one gave me the right answer till you did.)

2. go to the Shared folder ( buried deep inside the Program Files=> Common Files=> Research In Motion )
    a. in Program Files choose "Common Files" folder !!warning!!DO NOT CHOOSE "Research in Motion" folder in Program Files.!!warning!! ,
    see part 2b below
    b.After inside Common Files folder, then Choose "Research In Motion" folder.
    c. go to "Shared" folder

3. go to Loader Files
    4. go to the 8310 v4.2 something..something folder
    5. go to Java folder
    6. delete the 2 files mentioned above:
    -net_rim_bb_phone_ptt_app.cod
    -KnJCDE.cod
    7. Run the Application Loader for DM
    8. don't choose anything, just click "next"
    9. on the next page, the App loader should inform to remove the PTT apps ( should be 2 files that we delete on step # 6)
    10. check your Curve to make sure it is deleted !! YaY

Got almost extra ~1MB free memory
    Last edited by Optimus_Prime; 05-09-08 at 03:39 AM. Reason: additional steps/ info for step 2 & 6
    11-26-07 12:35 PM
    Thank you, Optimus Prime...somebody finally shared a non-techie step-by-step tutorial.

I'll do it tonight after work. Much appreciation.

BTW...another app to delete directly from the phone is the useless BlackBerry Video Sample app. It frees up an amazing amount of memory...try it.

-Terry
    11-26-07 02:39 PM
    Hey, Optimus Prime...or somebody...

Do I run the OS, and then when I have made the changes...load the OS into my 8310? How do I get to the folders?
    11-26-07 09:39 PM
    Hey, Optimus Prime...or somebody...

Do I run the OS, and then when I have made the changes...load the OS into my 8310? How do I get to the folders?
    You just need to install the OS file ( The only reason you install the exe file is to have this "Shared" folder) can anyone correct me on this?
    After that just to follow the steps I described before.
    11-27-07 12:18 AM
    Ok...I have the OS installed on my desktop. Do I get to the folders you speak of by clicking on the OS icon...or another method? Forgive me...I am a techno-dummy. If you can instruct me better via PM...I'm open to that.

Thanks.
    11-27-07 06:29 AM
    Bump...need some help on this one, because I don't know what to do.
    11-27-07 12:27 PM
    Thanks, Audit for your help.

Finally removed the PTT app.
    I can't get the javaloader to work on Command Prompt.
    so this is what I did:

1. install the OS ( Again Thank you very much Audit for the links, I have been asking this question since I got the phone and no one gave me the right answer till you did.)

2. go to the Shared folder ( buried deep inside the Program Folder=>Common Files=>Research In Motion )
    3. go to Loader Files
    4. go to the 8310 v4.2 something..something folder
    5. go to Java folder
    6. delete the 2 files mentioned above
    7. Run the Application Loader for DM
    8. don't choose anything, just click "next"
    9. on the next page, the App loader should inform to remove the PTT apps ( should be 2 files that we delete on step # 6)
    10. check your Curve to make sure it is deleted !! YaY

Got almost extra ~1MB free memory
    what are you confused on? ...
    11-27-07 12:33 PM
    what are you confused on? ...
    Wolfscmb...you have a PM.
    11-27-07 04:52 PM
    hope that helped ...
    11-27-07 08:13 PM
    hope that helped ...
    It did, thanks.
    11-27-07 08:39 PM
    how much free space did you guys get when you removed ptt
    11-27-07 10:56 PM
    After all my raving about removing PTT, I decided to leave well enough alone...at least for now. I have almost 24mb of free space available already...and that's better than some, and plenty to make room for anything else I might want to add in the future.

Plus, I am such a techno-dork...that I don't trust myself with any hacking.
    11-28-07 06:32 AM
    how much free space did you guys get when you removed ptt
    I got about ~1.5 mb?
    12-01-07 01:37 PM
    I got about ~1.5 mb?
    That's what I was afraid of. Not enough to force me to jack with it. Heck...I got almost 3.0mb just by deleting that stupid BlackBerry Video Sample.

Wonder how much I'll get when I give the TeleNav app the boot as soon as the free trial is up?
    12-01-07 09:51 PM
    Wolfscmb...thanks for the PTT removal instructions....
    05-02-08 02:06 AM
    I don't want to mess with removing PTT entirely, but what about just quitting it? I see it's always running in my application switcher. If i click on it, it says PTT charges may apply. So i can't even get into the app to quit it. It's always running even after a reboot
    06-11-08 07:17 AM
    Just hide it on the desktop
    06-11-08 07:39 AM
    Ya, I have always hid the app on my home screen, but i'm saying that it's always running. When I go to the app switcher it's there. If i click on it I cannot quit it. It states PTT charges may apply if I initialize... so I'm hesitant to even open the app since i don't have a PTT plan.

Just hide it on the desktop
    06-11-08 07:57 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD