Is there a guide anywhere for recommended steps to take when configuring new Blackberry's? We're just setting up our first users and we're finding the default settings are just useless.

Changes we've had to make so far include:

1. Hard deleted items don't sync by default.... now changed on the server.
    2. E-mail view is very different to outlook... we're changing each device to hide filed and sent mails by default, to give users a consistent inbox view on both Outlook and the Blackberry.
    3. Taking photos causes people to loose e-mails... changed the camera to use the 1GB memory card instead of filling the 20MB of onboard RAM.
    4. Configured e-mail reconciliation so deletes work both ways.

Number 3 in particular was a pain. Whoever at RIM thought it would be a good default to store photos in the RAM of a device that starts to loose e-mails when it runs low on memory wants shooting!

Number 1 is also rediculous in this day & age. It's been a complaint that's been running for 3 years or more from what I can see on Google, I can't believe RIM haven't addressed it.

What I'm concerned about now is how many more of these kinds of problem we're going to find as we use these. Considering how slowly RIM appear to address issues I expect we're going to hit a lot more of them and I'd really like to get as many of the common problems as I can addressed before our users start to complain.

thanks,

Ross
    08-07-08 03:53 AM
    Check out Lecture 4: The Basics of Setting Up Your BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

It's under the Newbies drop down at the top, then select Blackberry 101 Lecture Series.
    08-07-08 06:31 AM
    Thanks, but that's a bit basic. I've already got the blackberries set up and receiving e-mail. What I'm looking for are tips and advice about the most common problems on these.

I'm going to have to reconfigure all our blackberries shortly to address the memory issue above, if there are other common problems on these I'd very much like to get them addressed at the same time.
    08-07-08 06:49 AM
    Welcome to CB!
    This is a great place to look: BlackBerry 101 How-To Lecture Series | CrackBerry.com
    08-07-08 06:54 AM
    Welcome to CB!

There may be one out there, but I have not seen a real comprehensive step by step guide to setting up each function and dealing with the more common issues of the BlackBerrys.

The CB Lecture Series is a great selection of how to's, and some University websites have some good recommendation on setups, but if you are going ot be suppling them to your employees, you may want to learn as much as you can about them as you can from sites like this and create your own setup procedure/policy guide.

CB's Tip's & How to's

Stoner's Memory Guide

JC's Memory Guide
    08-07-08 07:18 AM
    I'm pretty sure he's past the basic stuff gang. He's trying to optimize several berries for a company I'm assuming.

For the memory issue, I would suggest using a program called CrackMem to optimize and free up more memory. You can find it here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/crac...eleased-52044/

But yes, a large memory card will take care of your picture issue.

If you have any specific questions we can lead you better in the right direction.
    08-07-08 07:20 AM
    Check out all of the links in my signature, specifically the BB 101 Lecture Series
    08-07-08 07:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD