hey everyone. I recently acquired a Blackberry 8330 through a friend that switched networks (company switched networks), and couldn't use his BB 8330 anymore. I would love to use it, but the problem is I'm on AT&T and the 8330 is incapable of using a sim card. would it be wise to sell it and get an 8310 or trade for an 8310? or would you guys recommend a different blackberry? also, how much are these worth? this phone is in mint condition and comes with a 1gb micro SD card, charger, battery, and silicone skin.

Joseph.
    06-20-09 01:49 AM
    Ebay that puppy!
    06-20-09 03:05 AM
    hey everyone. I recently acquired a Blackberry 8330 through a friend that switched networks (company switched networks), and couldn't use his BB 8330 anymore. I would love to use it, but the problem is I'm on AT&T and the 8330 is incapable of using a sim card. would it be wise to sell it and get an 8310 or trade for an 8310? or would you guys recommend a different blackberry? also, how much are these worth? this phone is in mint condition and comes with a 1gb micro SD card, charger, battery, and silicone skin.

Joseph.

Sell it on ebay or Craigslist but be very careful. Lots of scams going around out there. If your on ATT I would get a Bold or wait for the Onyx

Good Luck
    06-20-09 03:23 AM
    The 8330 is worth more than the 83XX because it has 1.5x more memory (96MB vs. 64MB). The 1GB memory is practically worthless, so just throw that in as a freebie.

If the BB was a company phone, there is probably an IT policy on it, which would be a hassle for the potential buyer. If you can't get rid of the IT policy before selling it, it will decrease the value of the phone, IMO.

That said, you should be able to get more for your 8330 than what you would have to spend on a comparable used 83XX to be used on AT&T.
    06-20-09 05:58 AM

that's the option > status screen. I went to the screen and typed in "BUYR" and that came up. is there an IT Policy on it? it doesn't ask for a password, so I don't believe it has an IT policy on it. if it does, I would take it off, wipe the phone, fully update it, and I'd try to unlock it if I can figure out how. can someone clue me on dollar amounts as to what the phone is worth? also, should I spend a little bit more and get an 8900? what are the positives and negatives to that phone as compared to a sim card capable 83xx? and would anyone happen to know prices on a used 8900?

Joseph.
    Last edited by hachikid; 06-20-09 at 08:08 PM.
    06-20-09 08:31 AM
    you could probably get around $150-$175 on ebay for this if it is in fact in mint condition....
    06-20-09 09:03 AM
    would the phone be more valuable if I were to leave it locked to Cellular South, or if I unlocked it? I am in the process of taking the IT policy off, and soon going to wipe and reload the OS. pictures will be up soon so you guys can judge the condition.

Joseph.
    06-20-09 05:27 PM
    AN unlocked phone is always going to be worth more, simply because there will be a broader group of potential buyers. You sound like you're trying to get someone to tell you that you'll get somewhere close to retail on it. You won't. If you tap $200, consider it a good sale.
    06-20-09 05:32 PM
    The 8330 cannot be "unlocked".

Most CDMA carriers will not allow devices from other carriers to be activated on their network.
    06-20-09 06:30 PM
    Also, in addition to the PIN, you should block out the ESN number in your screenshot above.

A mint condition Curve 8330 can sell for over $300 on eBay.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-09 06:39 PM
    well, the phone is inactive at the moment. I can't make calls with it, or anything. it's not on any contract. and $300.....are you kidding me? I can see the 8900 going for over $300, but are you serious?

Joseph.
    06-20-09 07:59 PM
    ok, I have a problem...I wiped the phone clean with JL_CMDER, and in the middle of updating, it stopped in the middle of it, and it said:

"A fatal error has occurred while updating your device's software. Please try again.

Unspecified error encountered [J:0x00000005]"

this is where I downloaded the file from: http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...nguage-236552/

I downloaded the latest desktop manager, and the latest drivers. does anyone know what to do?

Joseph.
    Last edited by hachikid; 06-20-09 at 09:07 PM.
    06-20-09 09:02 PM
    Yeah, remove DM 4.7 and download and install DM 4.6 without media manager instead. DM 4.7 can be problematic with the Curve and Pearl series, as you have discovered.
    06-20-09 09:42 PM
    I just did that. I got the same [J:0x00000005] error while it was "reconnecting to JVM". any other ideas?

Joseph.
    06-20-09 10:46 PM
    If you are using a laptop, try using a desktop. Sometimes laptops don't provide the full 5.0 volts the usb port needs to supply to the BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-09 11:06 PM
    nope, I'm on a desktop. the weird thing is, I was able to upgrade my 8700 without any problems. I see you're on a hybrid OS. is there a way you can send me a pm with that OS so I can try that? is it a problem with the OS? or is it some other problem? and it's not like the BB is completely dead, because it's on the white screen with the 507 error showing, and when I plug my 8330 to my comp, the comp recognizes the phone. a little pop up bubble appears saying that a blackberry smart phone was detected. so...that's kinda strange.

Joseph.
    Last edited by hachikid; 06-20-09 at 11:46 PM.
    06-20-09 11:43 PM
    UPDATE! yay! after looking through the forums and incessant googling, I figured out I should plug my USB cord into the back of my computer. I never had to do it with my 8700c, so I didn't think twice about it. but, I have my 8330 fully updated to v4.5.0.160!!! and I suppose it's for sale, as well. but yay! now I have another question. how much do you think a Storm can be gotten for? I've been wanting one, but I'm not sure if I will be able to put my sim card in it. and how much are they going for? I've seen some on eBay for around $200-$250ish. does that price sound about right?

Joseph.
    06-21-09 02:04 AM
    here are photos of it. what do you guys think of the condition? also, I found out it's locked to Cellular South. does that diminish the value? and if someone not with Cellular South buys the phone, will they be able to get it activated on their network? would I have to unlock it or something for them to use it? or is it just not possible for someone outside of Cellular South to use it?

BB 8330 pictures by Hachi_Kid - Photobucket

Joseph.
    Last edited by hachikid; 06-21-09 at 04:29 PM.
    06-21-09 02:15 PM
    here are photos of it. what do you guys think of the condition? also, I found out it's locked to Cellular South. does that diminish the value?

Joseph.
    Unfortunately, yes, that does diminish the value.

It would have been worth a lot more if it were on a larger carrier like Verizon or Sprint.
    06-21-09 02:28 PM
    Have you tried going on ebay and putting in the name of the carrier to see how much they are going for? That might be a way to see what kind of market it has on ebay! The phone does look good from the pics! Good Luck!
    06-21-09 04:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD