I recently got my first blackberry - 8310 Curve. I have roaming enabled with my service provider, but am worried about charges that there might be for receiving emails.

I have successfully set up my blackberry to work with an existing email account. I understand thought that there is quite a high charge for each email that is pushed to the blackberry when it is in a foreign country.

What would be the easiest way to disable the account on the blackberry temporarily for the duration of my trip? I could always delete the account from the blackberry and then recreate it when I get back, but I was wondering if there might be a less exteme option.
    08-04-08 03:23 AM
    You can turn off data. However you won't recieve any BB msgr msgs or MMS. You will still have SMS & voice without the data incoming or outgoing.
    08-04-08 03:25 AM
    Thanks. That certainly sounds like a better option than deleting the account details.

How do you turn off data? Is it something to do with the service book settings?
    08-04-08 03:28 AM
    To turn off data...

manage connections...mobile network options...data services - off...then save.

Hope this helps!
    08-04-08 03:31 AM
    You may want to leave it switched on. The BB is very efficient with email data so long as you don't go downloading attachments and images. Make sure you don't run browser, bb maps, etc.

On a 1 week trip, using email and bb messenger as 'usual', I got a bill for ~ 1MB of data in total. That was maybe 30+ emails a day + several hours of bb messenger chat, including sending a few phots over bb messenger.
    08-04-08 03:34 AM
    Brilliant.

Thanks very much
    08-04-08 03:35 AM
    You may want to leave it switched on. The BB is very efficient with email data so long as you don't go downloading attachments and images. Make sure you don't run browser, bb maps, etc.

On a 1 week trip, using email and bb messenger as 'usual', I got a bill for ~ 1MB of data in total. That was maybe 30+ emails a day + several hours of bb messenger chat, including sending a few phots over bb messenger.
    Wasn't the charge for the 1Mb of data very high if you were in a different country? Or are the charges fairly reasonable?
    08-04-08 03:36 AM
    Or... you could set up a filter on the BIS not to foward messages except from maybe very select people. Then remove the filter when you get back.
    08-04-08 03:37 AM
    Wasn't the charge for the 1Mb of data very high if you were in a different country? Or are the charges fairly reasonable?
    7.50 UKP per MB if I recall correctly. Check with your operator. Cheap compared to the price of the trip or a couple of calls!
    08-04-08 03:38 AM
    Thanks.

I will check with Orange, but �7.50 doesn't sound too bad. The chap in the shop where I bought the BB gave me the impression that the charges were extortionate.
    08-04-08 03:41 AM
    That sounds like a good deal! Is there a chance to check your bill while you are abroad?

In addition to that, is there a chance to cut down the service while going to another country? So you have absolutly no Service, so you dont have to worry that you would have to pay anything?
    08-04-08 03:42 AM
    Thanks.

I will check with Orange, but �7.50 doesn't sound too bad. The chap in the shop where I bought the BB gave me the impression that the charges were extortionate.
    They are! If you're on a laptop or phone on 3G that will pull M/bits per second! Image Windows doing a multi-megabyte update in the background, or having a quick look at a Youtube video, or that 1MB picture someone kindly sent you by email...

Using a browser even on your GPRS bb will soon rack up the total megabytes. Or using bb maps, or Google maps pulls all the maps over the network, etc etc.

But stick to plain text email and a bit of bb messenger, and you should be fine. At least I was. Make sure you've not any other apps you've added 'running in background' that might also pull data. Google Mobile updater, Google's mail app, any pushed browser content... that kind of thing.
    Last edited by wibblyw; 08-04-08 at 03:57 AM.
    08-04-08 03:52 AM
    That sounds like a good deal! Is there a chance to check your bill while you are abroad?

In addition to that, is there a chance to cut down the service while going to another country? So you have absolutly no Service, so you dont have to worry that you would have to pay anything?
    Depends on your operator. But it may cost you find out!

As previously stated, you can turn off data.
    08-04-08 03:53 AM
    Ok great. Thanks all for the advice.
    08-04-08 03:55 AM
    I was in Italy recently and my data use only cost me a total of �3.00 on o2 for 1mb

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-08 05:32 AM
    I was in Italy recently and my data use only cost me a total of �3.00 on o2 for 1mb
    Were you there for a day or a year (it makes a difference)?
    08-04-08 05:56 AM
    I was there for a week.

08-04-08 06:10 AM
    On my trips to Europe and the Middle East, my data raoming charges weren't expensive at all. I can get unlimited BB international roaming for 20 USD/month but it's less expensive not to for me not to as a travel outside of the US only a couple of times a year.

08-04-08 06:19 AM
    Where do you get the Unlimited BB international roaming?
    08-04-08 06:22 AM
    It's an option from T Mobile US unless they changed it recently. Part of their BB data plans.

08-04-08 06:31 AM
    Or... you could set up a filter on the BIS not to foward messages except from maybe very select people. Then remove the filter when you get back.
    Hello, new user and new owner
    I been trying to see if I can set up filters for the email but if it is on my BB curve 8310 then it is avoiding me like the plaque

I did set up email for my two accounts and like mentioned above disabled the data to off and saved to stop email from coming to my BB since I could not find out how to set up filters

So how can a filter be set up or is that possible with this model?

Thank you in advance
    07-02-09 08:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD