Okay,

So I work for the Australian Defence Force (yes, I know my profile hasn't been updated!) and in the next few weeks they will be shipping me out to a secure base...

Now I'm allowed a phone, as long as it doesn't have a camera - this leaves two obvious options, buy a BlackBerry WITHOUT a camera, or use my camera-free Sony Ericsson M600i (not preferable - it has an almost-identical setup to SureType, which I hate with a passion).

I was thinking though, that if I can get a replacement rear cover that does NOT have the hole for the camera, I should be able to quietly get around it...

Does such a thing exist and if so, where can I get it from?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-04-08 08:24 AM
    Smart idea however I know if you tried this idea in America you might be dismissed from the military for trying to be a spy or breaking "policy."

Tough call, man I love my BB.
    04-04-08 08:30 AM
    Well..
    What you could do is get a piece of clear plastic (like that found in a transparency sheet for an overhead projector) and place it over the opening for the camera.

Then place a sticker over it, perhaps an ADF logo??

So now your BB should have just a logo sticker on the back, no evidence that a camera ever existed.
    04-04-08 08:42 AM
    Slufa111 has a good point. While your intentions are honorable, if you should be caught with the camera, it would be very hard to convince your sureriors.
    Actually, it would probably be harder to explain than if you had the camera of your phone in plain sight, as hiding it with a no camera cover would look very suspicious.
    04-04-08 08:44 AM
    Or if you didn't mind not having a camera ever. You could fill the opening for it with black epoxy glue or something similar.

If you are using BES, the camera can be disabled by a policy.
    Last edited by gmgfarrand; 04-04-08 at 08:58 AM.
    04-04-08 08:54 AM
    Slufa111 has a good point. While your intentions are honorable, if you should be caught with the camera, it would be very hard to convince your sureriors.
    Actually, it would probably be harder to explain than if you had the camera of your phone in plain sight, as hiding it with a no camera cover would look very suspicious.
    Is it worth the risk? I'm in agreement with doing the right thing and save yourself a lot of trouble including Prison time and a terrible stain on your record of being a Spy. Your reasoning for hiding the Camera is Superficial. Taking into consideration the number of Terror Attacks that is happening around the World today, anyone of your mates can recognize your BB as a Curve (knowing it has a Camera) and start asking questions.
    AIN'T WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    04-04-08 11:33 AM
    I k now it's tough to skip the 'Berry, but in this case... leave it at home. God speed, my friemd!
    04-04-08 11:43 AM
    How long will you be deployed? You may try to get an older model blackberry and just switch devices for the time needed.
    04-04-08 03:28 PM
    Epox putty - turn any camera section into a simple piece of plastic.

Need any more info: 20650E97 or [email protected]

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-04-08 04:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD