My wife's old 8330 Curve does not charge via the USB port (loose).

I need to use this phone while I await my new upgrade in a few months. I could buy an external battery charger, but what's the fun in that???

I am making a ghetto-USB charging cable, and want to connect the red (+) and ground (-) to the rear brass contacts on the 8330 Curve, but I don't know which ones is POS(+) and NEG(-)?

Any ideas?
    01-15-10 09:10 PM
    Kinda scary that you're going to make a charging cable but yet don't know how to determine whats + & - on the phone.

Anyway, looking at the back of the phone the right is + left is -

EDIT: FYI you can get a cradle pretty cheap off amazon
    01-15-10 09:21 PM
    Well, I won't get into how bad and potentially dangerous this is, bad things could happen.

But, I would guess that one way will work and the other way won't. I believe the phone has some built in electronics that wil prevent it from charging (and blowing up) if hooked up the wrong way.

Use caution and good luck.
    01-15-10 09:25 PM
    When you can get a charging dock shipped from Amazon for less than 5 bucks, you're taking an awful risk trying to Fred Sanford it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-10 09:38 PM
    wow.. thanks for all the concern for my safety!

I got it figured out for anyone interested.. see pics below.

We aren't talking high-voltage power lines here.. anyways, didn't want to take it apart, and can't find my multi-tester.. so thought I'd ask here. I did go to the local Verizon bozo-mart to see if they had an external spare battery charger, and the bozo showed me a charging cable. My USB port on the Curve is NON-FUNCTIONING. He told me there is no such thing as an external spare battery charger.. uh, yes, there is.. everywhere. But, I need power tomorrow, and no time to wait for Amazon or Crackberry. BTW, spare battery chargers are not $5.. more like $20-25 .. it seems.

Anyways, I figured it out, and all is well. No smoke yet, my computer, Curve, children, neighborhood are all fine. And, I didn't electrocute myself. Now, all I need to figure out is how to nuke the phone so I can get rid of an annoying old corporate policy that has it restricted. Blah..

GHETTO CHARGER
    Parts: spare USB cable, I think from an old Treo?

Stripped the cable. 4 colored wires, red, black, and 2 data lines. There was some kind of foil shielding and other stuff wrapped around it.

STAND BACK!! Bzzz......

RED is pos, BLACK is ground. So, looking at the back, the right contact is pos/red, and the left is neg/blk. I guessed based on the battery symbols, but after I confirmed it was charging.. curiosity got the best of me and I switched them.. no explosions, but the charge symbol went away.

She's ALIVE!!

BTW... who's Fred Sanford?
    Last edited by jyew; 01-16-10 at 12:00 AM.
    01-15-10 11:56 PM
    Mad props -- that's awesome. But here's a link to Newegg's charging pod. Every now and then the item goes for 6 - 7 bucks with free shipping - keep an eye out for it for a more permanent solution.

But again, this is awesome.

Question: Did you strip a standard USB Mini cable or did you strip a USB charging cable. As in, what's the other end of the wire -- a wall plug or is it plugged into your computer? Thanks.
    01-16-10 12:38 AM
    BTW... who's Fred Sanford?
    An old TV Character
    01-16-10 12:51 PM
    @doc. Thx! Wasn't rocket science. I used an old Treo USB cable (see 1st pic),
    but any USB should work. I first stripped a basic USB to USB. Didn't hav
    shielding foil and threads braided in, but had 4 wires.
    but it didn't have black wire so wasn't sure which wire was ground.
    Treo cable was fine. Didn't find anything at Newegg, but thx. I'll just
    get the external spare batt charger from CB. Hopefully it will arrive
    by time I get home. For now, my laptop & cheapo cable will do.
    @monkeee. Yeah, I know. Was just trying to make that poster feel
    old. I guess we're all old?

01-16-10 01:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD