Hey everyone, i was just wondering if anyone is having the same issue and how they fixed it. i'm a roger's customers with a blackberry 8310. my phone randomly shut off.. and 2 outta 3 times, it drained the battery quite a bit

incident # 1: my battery was at around 40% when i went to bed. i knew that the battery would not die while i slept because i've done this before. i worked the next morning at 7am, and i use my blackberry to set my alarm. my alarm didnt go off, and luckily i woke up in time for work. i checked my phone and noticed it was off. i tried powering it on with the on/end call button. it didd not power on. thinking it was dead, i plugged it in and tried again. didnt work. i took the battery out, put it back in and it started back up again. the start up seemed to take longer than usual and ran really slow for a short while. after, it was fine.

incident #2: the day after incident 1, i went to bed with my battery charged up to 85%, setting my alarm once again to wake up at 6 for work again. once again, alarm didnt go off. luckily, i woke up on my own. phone was off once again. i plugged my phone in right after i noticed, thinking it's a dead battery again. the phone did not turn on. i took the battery out, and put it back in. started up but appeared to be very slow starting up. battery was down to about 35%.

i was very at this point, and decided to call rogers after work to see what was wrong. i called rogers and what they had told me was it was my sim card. they said my sim card was old and needed to be changed (this is why they sent them with new phones - or so they said). i changed my sim card (which deactivates your BIS for those who may change their sim). the blackberry tech at rogers said something bogus about how everything goes through the sim card so if it's old and not working properly it may drain the battery trying to do something over and over again. i indicated to him that this happened when i was doing NOTHING at all on the phone because i was asleep. he said to try it with the changed sim card

incident #3 : today, i was laying on my bed watching tv with my phone on my bed, as usual. i felt a slight vibe from the phone, i turned to see what who might've messaged me - and what do you know... my phone was off once again. couldnt turn it back on, had to pull the battery and put it back in again. longer than usual start up. worked fine after.

NOW..... after this long long post, anyone know what may be wrong?
    04-10-09 10:31 PM
    I was having reset issues with my Bold and Rogers gave me the sim card speech too... tried the new one with the same result and untimately got a replacement bb... Just speculating here, but it could be a battery problem. Do you have another one you can try?
    04-10-09 11:31 PM
    I would think it's a bad battery as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-09 12:53 AM
    This happened to me last week, there's a thread about it around here somewhere too lazy to link it hehe. Anyway my bb had similar symptoms to yours, random shutoffs and not turning back on. I got a replacement battery off amazon for around nine bucks shipped. How long you had the phone? Idf you've had it awhile I'd definetely recommend replacing the battery. Good luck!

04-11-09 01:10 AM
    My wife's 8110 did the same thing . We removed blackberry alerts and it works fine now. She had the phone replaced 4 times before i figured out what was wrong. It works fine on my 8110 . If you have added anything new to your phone try removing it just to be safe. Hope this helps.
    04-11-09 01:45 AM
    I have a curve (8330) from verizon and mine shuts off also difference is that it will restart itself. I'll be in the middle of loading a page and it will freeze then the screen will go black and the red led will come on. The phone seems to reset itself in the process. I got my curve on monday and today is friday, it started today and it did it twice. Help.

~L@r!$$@~
    04-11-09 03:02 AM
    I was having reset issues with my Bold and Rogers gave me the sim card speech too... tried the new one with the same result and untimately got a replacement bb... Just speculating here, but it could be a battery problem. Do you have another one you can try?
    unfortunately, i do not have another battery i can try. i'm going to call rogers back and complain... AGAIN and see if they'll send me a new one.
    04-11-09 09:14 AM
    This happened to me last week, there's a thread about it around here somewhere too lazy to link it hehe. Anyway my bb had similar symptoms to yours, random shutoffs and not turning back on. I got a replacement battery off amazon for around nine bucks shipped. How long you had the phone? Idf you've had it awhile I'd definetely recommend replacing the battery. Good luck!
    the weird thing is, i havent had the phone for a long time. 3-4 months at most. i've had a pearl before this, much longer as well, and had no issues. seems like everyone is suggesting a battery change. i'll try to give that a try. thanks
    04-11-09 09:15 AM
    there is so many other things wrong with this phone. i have set my text msgs and emails to all vibrate 2x then ring once. sometimes when im getting mail or msgs, it would not vibrate at all, or it would only vibe and not ring, or it'll just ring normally. anyone having this issue as well?
    04-11-09 09:17 AM
    Just curious, do you have an SD card installed? I had this issue as well and it turned out to be the card causing the random resets. I installed a new card, formatted it to the phone, and it hasn't happened again.

04-11-09 09:21 AM
    Just curious, do you have an SD card installed?

No you do not have to have installed, but highly recommened
    Last edited by lastraid; 04-11-09 at 09:40 AM.
    04-11-09 09:23 AM
    Just curious, do you have an SD card installed? I had this issue as well and it turned out to be the card causing the random resets. I installed a new card, formatted it to the phone, and it hasn't happened again.

i do have an SD card installed. i formattedi t to the phone when i first installed it. does the SD card itself have anything to do with it? or just having an SD card installed? because i purchased an SD card for my boyfriend and installed it for him the same way i installed mine. he's not experiencing any issues at all.
    04-11-09 09:29 AM
    It can be the card or the reader in the device. I would try another card and see if the problem goes away. Trouble shooting can be a fun thing. One must start remove variables that might cause the issue. I always try to start with the least evasive and cheapest method.
    04-11-09 09:32 AM
    It seems to be a random issue with the SD card causing resets. If you do a search you will find a few threads on the subject. SD cards are cheap now. I think I paid $12 for a 4GB at Radio Shack. Its worth a try to switch it out and see if it helps.

Lastraid, I wasn't asking if I had to have an SD card. I was asking the OP if they had one to see if it could be causing the problem.

04-11-09 09:35 AM
    Here is one of the threads speaking to the memory card issue...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/os-...ia-card-43159/

04-11-09 09:37 AM
    It seems to be a random issue with the SD card causing resets. If you do a search you will find a few threads on the subject. SD cards are cheap now. I think I paid $12 for a 4GB at Radio Shack. Its worth a try to switch it out and see if it helps.

Lastraid, I wasn't asking if I had to have an SD card. I was asking the OP if they had one to see if it could be causing the problem.

oops My bad miss read your comment, only one cup of coffee
    04-11-09 09:40 AM
    LoL I know that feeling for sure!

04-11-09 11:18 AM
    I've had a similar experience. Twice my phone died and couldn't be rebooted unless i did a battery pull. Another time it died completely and had to plug it into the charger as the battery had somehow run completely dead overnight. I've since reformatted my SD card in the phone (something I didn't do when I first installed) and so far so good. I also charge my phone now whenever it reaches 50% if I can. The random shutdowns were pretty rare in occurrence though.
    04-11-09 11:44 AM
    I had the problem where my battery would appear fully charged but would randomly shut off for no apparent reason! Battery pulls did not work, nor did deleting files, apps, etc....
    I put up with it for awhile because if it was plugged in it would not shut down. I purchased a new blackberry battery and it works great now. $40 at the Verizon store (I have AT&T but you can buy the battery anywhere that sells your phone).
    05-29-09 11:06 AM
    Here's my experience with random shutdowns and freezing:

Just a couple of days ago my curve started to die, freeze, reboot (a few days AFTER the 1 year warranty period expired). I did battery pulls, recharged battery, complete clean and resintall of software/OS (4.5) using desktop manager and the same thing would happen. I needed a cell phone so I took the SIM card out of my curve and put it into an old phone I had kicking around but kept my BB with me because all my contacts are stored in it. The WHOLE day my curve did not freeze or die once. But as soon as I put my SIM card back into the curve DIE !!!! Battery pull......DIE !!!

Can it be my SIM card ? Can I get a new one ? I'm in Toronto Ontario Canada and am with Rogers. Please let me know if this is/has happened to you and your curve.

What do you guys think ?

Thanks in advance for your help
    06-03-09 06:24 AM
    Try getting a new SIM card, if not then try and replace the battery. If that's no luck, then try and get a replacement.
    06-03-09 07:17 AM
    I tried a new SIM card ..... same thing.....

06-03-09 01:24 PM
    Tried wiping and reinstalling software again.....plugged it in overnight and it was fine all night (I'm assuming since I was asleep) and good until 8am this morning. However it just died again. I've connected it to my PC so it's running again. So.......maybe the battery ? I didn't think it was the battery because the shut off happened while plugged in as well. Hmmmmmm maybe I'll get a new battery and see what happens. Will keep you posted.....

thanks
    06-04-09 07:09 AM
    did not replace battery yet. Kept bb plugged in all night, changed profile to QUIET (it used to always be on VIBRATE) and bb hasn't died yet, it's now 11 AM. Hmmm could still be the battery as VIBRATE would deplete battery. We'll see how long this lasts........
    06-05-09 10:10 AM
    Just died and when I take the SIM card out it turns on again and now my battery is at 15% all of a sudden. Something must be draining my battery BIG TIME.
    06-05-09 12:46 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD