• Do I need to upgrade my Desktop Manager propgram to the latest version prior to upgrading my phone OS?
    • Does upgrading your OS overwrite your phone book and all apps?
    • Do I backup my phone (and apps), run the upgrade, then restore my phone to get all of the same settings back?

Thanks!
    11-19-08 05:18 PM
    You need DM 4.5.

Yes that is why you backup.

Read the bottom of the first post HERE
    11-19-08 06:04 PM
    Yes, you should upgrade the Desktop Manager to the latest and greatest. The upgrade doesn't overwrite your contacts, but it does update the apps that you have (except third party apps). If you sync up with Outlook or another email solution you should be fine. Backing up is a good idea (it always is!), and a backup is created during the upgrade process. In my case, nearly all of my settings were the same, just a few adjustments were needed. Good luck! I am sure others will have helpful hints for you as well.
    11-19-08 06:05 PM
    Thanks for the info! Do I need to uninstall the exisiting DM on my PC before upgrading it to the latest version? Or is the installer smart enough to simply upgrade the DM?
    11-19-08 06:16 PM
    No need to uninstall the old version.
    11-19-08 06:18 PM
    Thanks for everyone's help. I upgraded my phone without any issues. Of course the GPS is still locked out of 3rd party apps, oh well.

The only thing I have noticed that I don't like so far is when I try to send photos from media manager, it doesn't use my default email address anymore as my "sent from" address. It now uses the Blackberry address, unless I manually switch it to my Gmail address. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a way to switch it to use the default email address?
    11-21-08 05:36 PM
    I'm used to choosing manually.

Now that you've upgraded, you can open Docs to Go, push the menu key and register it, then you need to select the search for upgrades option and download the free upgrade. This will give you the ability to save and edit word, excel and powerpoint pages.

Also make sure to send sevice books to turn on HTML, if you haven't already.

Send Service Books: Click your internet email icon (the envelope with a gear in front of it)> click service books> click send service books.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-08 07:10 PM
    Yeah, I got all my HTML on. It's alright. I don't understand why they chose to remove functionality with this upgrade.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-08 08:18 PM
    I just discovered another feature removal with v4.5.

I have been using Moodio.fm to stream music and talk radio in the morning when I get to my office. Prior to upgrading to v4.5 I could start the stream and the put my Curve back in its holster and the music would continue to stream away while I worked. Now the media player pauses as soon as I put the phone in the holster... I also used to be able to start the music stream and then switch to other apps, now the music pauses as soon as I bring up the menu to do so. UGH!!!

Is this just user error on my end? Or did the upgrade turn my phone into something similar to the iPhone that won't multitask properly?
    11-24-08 08:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD