Hey all,

I'm a Canadian looking to buy an unlocked 8320. I'm not a business user, and wasn't planning to get a data plan because of the horrendous costs that providers get away with charging up here (I'm with Fido).

What I want is:

1) A good phone (RF & voice quality) because I don't have a landline.
    2) Wi-fi. I especially want access to my email when I'm away from home (where there's a wi-fi network). But I've been browsing around here a bit and it seems that without a data plan, I can't actually use the email capabilities of the phone to the fullest. Basically, I want to be able to check 2-3 POP/IMAP accounts via Wi-fi (automatically wherever there's a wireless network would be really sweet). Will this be possible?

Other things like media (photo, music, and video) are secondary for me. I would consider an iPhone, but for the terrible things I've heard about the RF & voice quality of that phone (i.e. it's a good media device but a poor phone). I need a good phone first and foremost.

TIA for any responses.
    02-16-08 06:39 PM
    Going without a plan means using web based tools like Gmail and iGoogle.

I have not been that deeply into the configuration settings for Gmail, but I don't think it can retrieve your emails.

If you have the option of forwarding your POP mail to a Gmail account, that might do the trick.

Somebody else will have to answer the voice quality issues, I don't have need of the phone myself.
    02-16-08 07:25 PM
    gmail can retrieve your emails
    02-16-08 09:12 PM
    When you say GMail can retrieve emails, do you mean automatically whenever I'm in an open Wi-fi network, or do you mean that I can browse to my GMail account via iGoogle and check my mail?
    02-18-08 11:11 AM
    ...do you mean that I can browse to my GMail account via iGoogle and check my mail?
    Gmail on a WiFi browser requires you to check for mail. The simple way to do tha is to make iGoogle your home page. If you have any messages they will appear in the Inbox

Keep in mind, Gmail is also the name of a bb application that uses BIS for pushing Email.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-08 03:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD