This is my first post, but I have been browsing this site for about three months now. Anyway, I keep seeing people wanting an all black 8320, but falling short because of the home keys. Apparently, on an 8330 they're black, but they won't fit on an 8320. I accepted this as a truth, until I was reading a thread about a guy who blacked out his 8320 INCLUDING home row keys with a new housing he bought off eBay. The housing was an 8330 housing, but the guy said it transferred with no problem. Now, here's my situation. I am in the boat where mine will be all black (housing, trackball, ring, keyboard) except for those stupid home row keys. Is there ANY way possible to order a set of 8330 black home row keys from cnn.cn and modify them somehow to work with the 8320? Also, why don't they fit? Is it a shape issue, or a technical issue (I haven't read any answers that offer much elaboration on the topic)? Any help would be awesssssommmmmmeeeeee, because I want this thing blacked out. Thanks!
    03-26-09 11:50 PM
    Yes, the 8330 keys don't fit into the 8310/8320 because they are shaped differently. There have been some brave souls who have taken a Dremel to their case to shave off the areas immediately to the left and right of the green/red phone keys to make it fit.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-09 11:54 PM
    try checking on Cellular Accessories - BenQ-Siemens, Mobiado, Motorola, Apple, LG, Samsung, Alcatel, Sony, NEC, Dopod/O. I know for my 8330, the standard keyboard is black with the numerics in silver, but i got a silver kb with black numerics to match the white housing and blue trackball that i put in.

worse comes to worse, im sure there is something on ebay... what isnt on ebay?

good luck
    03-26-09 11:55 PM
    I did the same think. I had an old 8330 and I was using the 8320. The home row keys are shaped a little different. You can unscrew the homekeys on the 8330 and install them on the 8320 so that the housing fits perfectly. I did it with no problem. Good luck.

03-26-09 11:57 PM
    Oakster, about midway through this thread, someone posted pics of a modified 83XX with 8330 black home row keys:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/mes...w-keys-146374/

03-26-09 11:57 PM
    Ok. So you're saying it is possible to mold them to the shape of the 8320 home keys? If I took a dremel tool to do it, and made them fit shape-wise, there would be no other complication prohibiting the keys from working? Someone mentioned something about CMDA complications or something? Any idea what that is?
    03-26-09 11:59 PM
    I did the same think. I had an old 8330 and I was using the 8320. The home row keys are shaped a little different. You can unscrew the homekeys on the 8330 and install them on the 8320 so that the housing fits perfectly. I did it with no problem. Good luck.

This is misleading. You can't just swap the 8330 home row keys into an 8320 without modifying the case.

03-27-09 12:01 AM
    Ok. So I would have to modify the housing where the keys fit, and not the keys themselves?
    03-27-09 12:03 AM
    Ok. So you're saying it is possible to mold them to the shape of the 8320 home keys? If I took a dremel tool to do it, and made them fit shape-wise, there would be no other complication prohibiting the keys from working? Someone mentioned something about CMDA complications or something? Any idea what that is?
    No, you modify the lens and faceplate, not the keys.

03-27-09 12:03 AM
    Ok. So I would have to modify the housing where the keys fit, and not the keys themselves?
    Yes, exactly.

03-27-09 12:04 AM
    I wonder how difficult that is to do cleanly, with a slight knowledge of a dremel tool. I'm thinking of using the attachment like, what the dentists use to file teeth down with... or something along those lines.
    03-27-09 12:06 AM
    Look at the pics in the link I gave you. The first one looked a little rough, the second guy's BB looked great.

If no dremel, then some very small files would work as well.

03-27-09 12:09 AM
    The link you gave me was a guy who used an 8300 to achieve that look. I'm looking to do the same, but with an 8320. You're talking about the guy with the Queensryche theme, right?
    03-27-09 12:10 AM
    Same problem, you gotta fit the angled 8330 keys into the 8320 case which has key holes that are straight up and down on the sides.

03-27-09 12:17 AM
    The link you gave me was a guy who used an 8300 to achieve that look. I'm looking to do the same, but with an 8320. You're talking about the guy with the Queensryche theme, right?
    Yeah, that's the one...

03-27-09 12:20 AM
    How do I get my8330 to play movies/videos

03-27-09 12:36 AM
    Oakster, about midway through this thread, someone posted pics of a modified 83XX with 8330 black home row keys:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/mes...w-keys-146374/

I dont know if its just me, but I looked at this thread over and over maybe about 6 times.
    They appear to be all 8330s to me.

edit - That or I misinterpreted what you were trying to tell him. Did you mean he was using a 8300 with a 330 housing? or that he modified his lens to accomodate the keys?
    Last edited by ronron23; 03-27-09 at 01:06 AM.
    03-27-09 12:58 AM
    Hmm, might be the wrong thread. There was a thread where 2 guys posted pics of the modded 83XX cases with the angled keys from a 8330 in it. Yes, they had to shave off part of their lens on the left and right side to accomodate the angled home row keys off the 8330.

03-27-09 01:11 AM
    Ok, sorry I did post the wrong thread for the modified housing with the black 8330 keyboard tray. Here is the proper thread, look at Outatime's Curve:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/que...ckball-145968/

03-27-09 01:26 AM
    haha thought so, I kept thinkin to myself..am i blind? wtf where are those pictures!? and eventually figured that there were nothing but 8330s there haha
    03-27-09 01:36 AM
    I think you guys misinterpreted what I was trying to say. I have an 8320, but I just bough an 8330 housing for it. I am swapping the housings, so I can have my BlackBerry all black. So, on my 8320, I will have a black 8330 housing. My question was, with this new housing I am putting on it, can I import the home row keys without modifying anything?
    03-31-09 01:10 PM
    The actual keypad is the same on both devices. The keys such as the talk, end key etc can be easily unscrewed and put on the 8320. I used Verizon housing on my 8320 and it looked great.

03-31-09 01:23 PM
    This is my first post, but I have been browsing this site for about three months now. Anyway, I keep seeing people wanting an all black 8320, but falling short because of the home keys. Apparently, on an 8330 they're black, but they won't fit on an 8320. I accepted this as a truth, until I was reading a thread about a guy who blacked out his 8320 INCLUDING home row keys with a new housing he bought off eBay. The housing was an 8330 housing, but the guy said it transferred with no problem. Now, here's my situation. I am in the boat where mine will be all black (housing, trackball, ring, keyboard) except for those stupid home row keys. Is there ANY way possible to order a set of 8330 black home row keys from cnn.cn and modify them somehow to work with the 8320? Also, why don't they fit? Is it a shape issue, or a technical issue (I haven't read any answers that offer much elaboration on the topic)? Any help would be awesssssommmmmmeeeeee, because I want this thing blacked out. Thanks!
    I think you guys misinterpreted what I was trying to say. I have an 8320, but I just bough an 8330 housing for it. I am swapping the housings, so I can have my BlackBerry all black. So, on my 8320, I will have a black 8330 housing. My question was, with this new housing I am putting on it, can I import the home row keys without modifying anything?
    Your OP didn't mention anything about having an 8330 housing.

Why wouldn't the 8330 home row keys fit in a 8330 housing?

Anyway, yes, you can order a black 8330 keyboard tray from cnn.cn and you probably will need a black keypad as well. They will fit right in to your 8330 housing with no modification.
    03-31-09 02:51 PM
    The actual keypad is the same on both devices. The keys such as the talk, end key etc can be easily unscrewed and put on the 8320. I used Verizon housing on my 8320 and it looked great.

This is misleading, yes the keypad is the same for both devices. However, the keyboard tray, the one with the home row keys (Talk, BB key, Back, End Call) are not interchangeable between the models.
    03-31-09 02:54 PM
    wow....good luck on this....hope u find a solution
    03-31-09 05:15 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD