Hello,

I currently have a Q9C for Sprint using the Messaging Plan but am considering swapping phones for a BlackBerry Curve 8330. From what I understand, the Curve didn't always NEED to have the Data Plan + BB Plan in order to use it's simpler functions (texting, calling, voicemail, camera, etc), hence some people being able to use it on a Messaging Plan provided they bought the phone/plan before it "required" the Data Plan.

Is this correct? I ask because I have a friend who works for a retailer (multiple carriers) and he is able to activate the phone on the Messaging Plan provided I go through him personally.

I use my phone purely for texting, calling/voicemail, and occasionally the camera, which is why I wasn't willing to shell out every month just to have the BlackBerry. However, now that I have a friend in the cellular business I'm thinking it would be a nice trade.

My reasons?

- My Q9C is slow, even after a master reset. It can take several minutes to delete long SMS conversations (sometimes well over 15 minutes to delete everything). The UI is generally laggy and unresponsive, not to mention basic and unappealing.

- The extended battery is irritating. I would rather charge my phone daily rather than have it be twice as thick. The phone alone is just kinda blocky and ugly.

- Dust under the screen. The LCD was barely visible under direct light until I finally brought it in to be cleaned, and now, 2 weeks later, I can already see it collecting again.

That said, do you think the BB would help correct these issues, and if so, would it be worth the trade?
    01-24-10 10:14 PM
    Yes, you are correct. You don't need a data plan to have a blackberry - unless the contract specifies that a data plan purchase is neccesary. Hint: read the fine print if you get a new plan. but on your messaging plan it should be fine. My brother uses his on tmobile with no data plan just fine.

Secondly - I used a Q9c for a long time and can honestly say I will never go back. Yes you will get dust under the screen but nothing near like that of the Q9c. I would reccomend using the pocket sleeve that should come with the 8330 and that will help a bunch on keeping the dust under the screen down. but I think you will find the OS to be nice. I'm not sure how much more snappy it will be. But the ease of use and how well it all fits together will be a nice change. Just remember the Blackberry 8330 is known for its messaging abilities.

So - go for it if you want! I'm sure you won't look back!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-10 12:19 AM
    Thank you so much! That's a much more thorough reply than I expected. It's definitely starting to look like that 8330 is for me.
    01-25-10 12:44 AM
    Make sure that you can get the BlackBerry without a data plan. Last I checked the only carrier that didn't require the data plan was T-Mobile, I believe all other carriers require you to have it.
    01-25-10 08:10 AM
    I went from a q9m& q9c to an 8330 and other than a few minor annoyances, I love the berry!
    01-25-10 08:24 AM
    Make sure that you can get the BlackBerry without a data plan. Last I checked the only carrier that didn't require the data plan was T-Mobile, I believe all other carriers require you to have it.
    True, T-mobile doesn't require a data plan in order to use the phone. Sprint is different, I believe now you would need to have some kind of data included in your plan in order to use a blackberry.

I've had a BB without a data plan on Sprint, but this was over a year ago. I sold that BB, I met the girl at the Sprint store so she could verify it was good. Then she tried to activate it with her # and got denied at the Sprint store because they wouldn't do it unless they had a data plan.

Some Sprint employee's know it's possible, but they will tell you in order to get a BB working you need a data plan. I was able to get mine without a data plan by calling in to customer service and having them switch #'s from my old phone (which had absolutely no add-ons) to a BB. The customer service rep. did switched it over for me with no mention of data being required. I was lucky. Again this was over a year ago.

But I've added a new line recently (a BB) and the customer service rep. over the phone told me they wouldn't add the BB without some kind of data plan attached to it... It didn't apply to me anymore because I'm on an everything data plan.
    01-25-10 12:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD